cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pocophone F1 not connecting to mobile data

aytli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Today I received a Pocophone F1 global version, and I can't seem to get my mobile data working. I installed my SIM card, made the necessary APN changes, and it still can't seem to connect. I've tried doing multiple reboots, as well as a factory reset. My calling and texting seem to be fine.

Here are my latest settings:

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

APN type: default,mms,supl

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

All other settings are blank

With these settings, I see "H+" beside my mobile data icon. The phone says I've used about 19mb of data, but the data connection is clearly not working.

I did a bit of Googling and while some results say that this phone doesn't work with Canadian networks, most people seem to have no trouble using this in Canada.

This is the model I bought.

25 REPLIES 25

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GinYVR wrote:

@RoylannThere is no software update that can add a wireless frequency.

That depends highly on the chipset, but in most cases, yes you are right, I've just seen the rare occasion where people have modded cell modem files to work with more bands, but that is with a rare few devices. Heck in my own instance I just had to cross flash another android build to have a more optimized modem to use with the Telus network here. Not everyone has the knowledge to do so though, and I've learnt all mine from browsing XDA forums for my device model, they have taught me a lot.

@RoylannThere is no software update that can add a wireless frequency.

Roylann

You are not the only one. It seemes tobe a very common problem. WHY HAVE XAIOMI NOT YET PROVIDED A SOLUTION WITH AN UPDATE????  This is not a good look for Xaiomi.

skylenth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@aytli Unfortunately, this is a purely hardware limitation, you can't change it in software by unlocking the bootloader,etc.

aytli

Thanks for all the responses everyone, looks like I'll have to figure out how to return or sell this thing.

Would changing the bootloader help, or is this purely a hardware limitation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My BB OS 10 tells me it sees 1,2,4,5,6 UMTS and 4,5,7 LTE. It also sees GSM in the area but of course I'm not subscribed to them.

It sees it or it's in the hardware specs? There are aboslutely no UMTS Bands 1 or 6 anywhere in Canada.  It doesn't exist.

I saw it in About that said capability. So that's a spec. Then I have an app called Signal that I had assumed was what the phone was seeing as signals being transmitted in the area. Seems it's the same list except other bands aren't shown. So apparently no it's not seeing what's being transmitted. Oh well.

It's also a BB with no updates anymore and limited even-at-the-time apps with their lack of updates now. So there's that 🙂

Thanks for the clarity on UMTS 1 and 6.

@skylenth wrote:

Sad to say, but you will have issues using the Pocophone F1 on Public Mobile (and most other carriers in Canada) I do know that it works fine on the Rogers and Rogers-based neworks (such as Fido and Chatr) from experience (btw most imported phones tend to work on Rogers-based networks but with their 2G) but you will probably be limited to slower speeds (like actual 2G/3G speeds). 

Yes, it's unfortunate.  If the F1 had band 4 LTE, half the office would have one of these phones.  Maybe things will be different with the F2.  Xiaomi is definitely a brand worth looking into when shopping for phones.  Right now they are definitely one of the value leaders.  Now if only they would eliminate that 360 hour wait time for bootloader unlocking.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this old news now then? It seems to indicate that it's just the one B4 band for PM.

Can one use Telus APN info to use their 8 bands including B5 rather than just the one that apparently PM has? Seeing as how they're the mothership.

Edit: And this seems to say that there's maybe one model that could work here.

Telus APN will not work for Public Mobile customers.

Also, we already have full access to all LTE bands.  I'm usually using LTE Band 2 when I actually decide to enable LTE.

That frequencycheck site has both wrong and incomplete information. Public Mobile has never had any type of 2g GSM network, and Band 4 LTE is definitely not the only one available.

Yeah frequencycheck AND willmyphonework mention 2G. So yeah already some lack of faith creeps in.

Maybe it's about available transceivers on each specific tower. Over there 20 km's away they tx band 5. Over here 2 km's away they tx Band 4 and 12. The phone will only really pick up the Band 4 tower because it's transmitting the loudest.

My BB OS 10 tells me it sees 1,2,4,5,6 UMTS and 4,5,7 LTE. It also sees GSM in the area but of course I'm not subscribed to them.

Wiki is actually very accurate on listing the bands that Telus runs on. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

skylenth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sad to say, but you will have issues using the Pocophone F1 on Public Mobile (and most other carriers in Canada) I do know that it works fine on the Rogers and Rogers-based neworks (such as Fido and Chatr) from experience (btw most imported phones tend to work on Rogers-based networks but with their 2G) but you will probably be limited to slower speeds (like actual 2G/3G speeds). 

@Anonymous wrote:

It sees it or it's in the hardware specs? There are aboslutely no UMTS Bands 1 or 6 anywhere in Canada.  It doesn't exist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this old news now then? It seems to indicate that it's just the one B4 band for PM.

Can one use Telus APN info to use their 8 bands including B5 rather than just the one that apparently PM has? Seeing as how they're the mothership.

Also, we already have full access to all LTE bands.  I'm usually using LTE Band 2 when I actually decide to enable LTE.

That frequencycheck site has both wrong and incomplete information. Public Mobile has never had any type of 2g GSM network, and Band 4 LTE is definitely not the only one available.

Yeah frequencycheck AND willmyphonework mention 2G. So yeah already some lack of faith creeps in.

Maybe it's about available transceivers on each specific tower. Over there 20 km's away they tx band 5. Over here 2 km's away they tx Band 4 and 12. The phone will only really pick up the Band 4 tower because it's transmitting the loudest.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

Some info i found on Telus community: 

"This phone definitely does work on Canadian networks ( specifically 4G LTE with Telus ). In my case the network was not registered until a couple reboots but does work excellent."

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Devices/Xiaomi-Pocophone-F1-Compatible-with-Telus-LTE-network/m-...

Yes, on band 5 and 7.  As time marches on, bands 2 and 5 will be the new band 4. 

Some info i found on Telus community: 

"This phone definitely does work on Canadian networks ( specifically 4G LTE with Telus ). In my case the network was not registered until a couple reboots but does work excellent."

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Devices/Xiaomi-Pocophone-F1-Compatible-with-Telus-LTE-network/m-...

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@aytli Can you try setting APN type to "default" only? If that doesn't work, try leaving it blank.  

APN type has no impact on the preferred network type which is it's own setting. 

I have heard some phones, i blieve LG or tablets, worked with default APN type settings. Just a shot out of blue to give it a try. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aytli wrote:

I've tried getting the phone to prefer both 3G and LTE, as well as setting the APN type to "default,mms,supl", "default", and blank. No combination of these settings seem to work.

Officially Recognized APN Reference

Not that I got these from there but:

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

I've also seen ,dun, in there.

Edit: I can force my old BB OS10 to connect to HSPA+/UMTS and try browsing and it works.

@Alex888 wrote:
Pocophone F1's do not support LTE, which is used by most carriers in Canada. As @Anonymous said, you can try 3G, but with Public Mobile the 3G network is just throttled 4 LTE.

It is compatible, just missing some bands:

reference: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Pocophone-F1/m-p/311869/highlight/true#M654

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)

@NDesai wrote:

@aytli Can you try setting APN type to "default" only? If that doesn't work, try leaving it blank.  

APN type has no impact on the preferred network type which is it's own setting. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@aytli, from my research there is no so called global model of the Pocophone.  There may be a global rom.  At $400, if there was one I would own one already.  As @Anonymous mentioned, having band 4 LTE is best assurance of getting a LTE connection wherever you go.  In the big cities, Bellus has repurposed a lot of band 2 and 5 for LTE.  With luck you could connect to band 5 and 7.  At work, I connect to band 5 as much as band 4 if not more.  The building is a faraday cage and so band 5 signal strength is better. 

aytli

I've tried getting the phone to prefer both 3G and LTE, as well as setting the APN type to "default,mms,supl", "default", and blank. No combination of these settings seem to work.

aytli

I'm okay with just using 3G, as long as my mobile data works. When I wrote my original post, I had the phone set to "prefer 3G".

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Pocophone F1's do not support LTE, which is used by most carriers in Canada. As @Anonymous said, you can try 3G, but with Public Mobile the 3G network is just throttled 4 LTE.

Some people report that it does work in some areas, but only with band 5, so connection is not very consistant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aytli wrote:

Today I received a Pocophone F1 global version, and I can't seem to get my mobile data working. I installed my SIM card, made the necessary APN changes, and it still can't seem to connect. I've tried doing multiple reboots, as well as a factory reset. My calling and texting seem to be fine.

Here are my latest settings:

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

APN type: default,mms,supl

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

All other settings are blank

With these settings, I see "H+" beside my mobile data icon. The phone says I've used about 19mb of data, but the data connection is clearly not working.

I did a bit of Googling and while some results say that this phone doesn't work with Canadian networks, most people seem to have no trouble using this in Canada.

This is the model I bought.

gsmarena shows that it doesn't have Band 4 LTE. You might be able to use 3G though.

Edit: it appears to have band 5 but band 4 is the primary 4G LTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.