cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan

Wilmon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a flip phone and use only the call and receive ....do not text of use data...what plan do you have that would suit me and cost per month....Bill Cook, Summerland, BC

10 REPLIES 10

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Since @sunflowershine  mentioned Speakout, here is my recommendation.

Speakout pay-per-use has a $1.25 fix charge per month.

If one uses over 40 minutes per month, it will be cheaper to get PM $15/100 outgoing + unlimited incoming minutes plan. With autopay enabled, you are paying $13 per 30days.

Speakout cost = $1.25 + 40 minutes * $0.3/minute = $13.25/m

@Wilmon 

Which flip phone do you have?

If you have an older flip phone which works with Speakout or Petro-Canada Mobility, It may not work with PM because PM does not support GSM.  Only Rogers network supports GSM(2G) in Canada.  PM uses 3G for voice calls.

Flip phones can do text.

You may not send texts often (or at all) - especially with frustrating T9 keypad entry - but other people will still send texts to you. Many people are reluctant to make or answer calls when texting is an option, something to consider if you need to contact "younger" people or strangers on craigslist or whatever. Many businesses are adopting automated text services as well.

Flip phones can do data.

The internet experience is admittedly very limited but it can still be handy if you need to lookup addresses or directions or business hours or price comparisons or whatever while mobile. Or if you need an important email, you never know, it's an increasingly digital world.

And the device itself may need data for updates. Or to download apps, or even to run the apps. But these might be done from WiFi/etc most of the time.

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

i have an old flip phone too.  the $15 plan is about right for me.  But of you do a lot of calling, you might want one with unlimited calling.

i did have to get the unlock code from my last provider before changing over.  also, check that it is compatible with pm network.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Wilmon You have to check if your phone is unlocked first. I think most of the flip phone came with their original carrier. 

If you are using cell for emergency use, you can think about "Speakout" that uses the Rogers' network. You can buy as low as $25 that will good for a year to expire. You can be charged per usage or monthly rate. They have some promotions right now. 

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promotions/ 

Freedom mobile has a special of less than $100 (unlimited calls and texts) for a year. But you may need to buy their phone. 

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Wilmon   

Since you only need talk time.  These are the recommended plans for you.

1) The 15$ plan will give you 100 outgoing minutes / unlimited incoming

2) The $25 plan will give you unlimited outgoing / unlimited incoming.

Ask your self these questions.

• How often are you planing on calling someone? 
  • Are you getting this line for regular use or just for emergency. 

Only you know this answer. 😊

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Wilmon 

Depends how much do you talk

With 13(15-2) plan you get unlimited incoming, and 100 outgoing. With 5 add-on it's only 1 cent per minute

Welcome to public mobile

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Wilmon wrote:

I have a flip phone and use only the call and receive ....do not text of use data...what plan do you have that would suit me and cost per month....Bill Cook, Summerland, BC

If your minutes usage is over 1,100 outgoing minutes per 30 days, it is better to get the $25 plan.

My recommendation is based on the following calculation:

$15 plan has 100 outgoing minutes + unlimited incoming minutes.

Purchasing two $5 for 500 minutes add-ons will give you additional 1,000 minutes

Therefore, you will get 1,100 outgoing minutes if you use $15 plan + add-on.

If you take the advantage of the unlimited incoming minutes, your 100 outgoing minutes and add-on minutes can go a long way.  Please note that add-on minutes has no expiry date.  Any unused minutes will be roll over to next billing cycle.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Wilmon if you don't talk too much per month, then 15$ plan is enough. Otherwise, 25$ plan. 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

Pick yer poison! https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans#plans-start 

They all include some data, UNLESS you pick the $15 plan, and DO NOT use autopay, in which case you'd be doing manual top-ups every 30 days. Trouble with that plan, is that there's only 100 mins. of outgoing calls, which, if you need more, you could add the $5/500 mins. add-on to bring the plan up to $20, however, the minutes on that $5 add-on roll over to the next month, if you don't use them all.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Wilmon wrote:

I would go for the $15 or $25 plan.

$25 plan is unlimited talk!

If you choose one plan and do not like it you can always change plans.

Ensure your phone is unlocked and compatible with PM:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledg e-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162

plans.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.