cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan for out of Province Student

k-d-s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I am trying to figure out if Public Mobile would be good for my daughter who is starting University in Montreal, but her home Province is BC. So, she would be in Montreal for 8 months of the year and BC for 4 months. Is it possible to keep the same number for both BC and Quebec? From my research, I found somewhere that said when you are out of your home province you can still make calls within the province you are in and is covered under the plan. My thinking is to set her up with Quebec as her home province and when she is in BC, she could make unlimited calls and text within BC, all under the same plan. Anyone have experience with this or could provide some insight? Thanks

28 REPLIES 28

@dna2016 wrote:

@k-d-s sounds too good to be true doesn't it.  That's why I like Public Mobile, there's no weird calling zones, you're paying a very good price for a very good plan, and there's no such thing as overage charges.  If you don't select a plan that offers the feature you need, then the feature just won't work.  Example if you don't pick a data plan, and then you try to go online on your phone (without using Wifi), then the internet just won't work.  You won't get a weird bill or anything like that.  

Now regarding being in two different provinces, as @GinYVR mentioned, if you're daughter is in Quebec with a BC number, the local folks in BC will most likely be hesitant to call her because to them they'll be calling a BC number which would be long distance for them because they'll most likely be on a Rogers or Telus plan that doesn't offer Canada Wide calls.  I suggest when in Rome do as the Romans, so have a Quebec number when in Quebec and when in BC change your number back to a BC number.

@dna2016, this statement is backwards.  BC can call a Public Mobile Cellular BC number anywhere in Canada (with a network connection) that is a local BC to BC number.  Doesn't matter if it's a 'local' calling plan, a Province-Wide plan, or a Canada (&US) Calling plan. 

The cellular PM Customer in Quebec with a BC number will call back to BC long distance without an LD option (addon or included in the plan) but will be able to call local in Quebec without issue (local QC number (addon for outside local area), Province-wide, or Canada-Wide (&US)).

Folks in QC would always be dialling LD to a BC cellular phone in QC, and a QC PM cellular would require LD to call back to BC (addon, or in a plan).

This isn't rocket science.  It's been this way since LD was introduced.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@k-d-s sounds too good to be true doesn't it.  That's why I like Public Mobile, there's no weird calling zones, you're paying a very good price for a very good plan, and there's no such thing as overage charges.  If you don't select a plan that offers the feature you need, then the feature just won't work.  Example if you don't pick a data plan, and then you try to go online on your phone (without using Wifi), then the internet just won't work.  You won't get a weird bill or anything like that.  

Now regarding being in two different provinces, as @GinYVR mentioned, if you're daughter is in Quebec with a BC number, the local folks in BC will most likely be hesitant to call her because to them they'll be calling a BC number which would be long distance for them because they'll most likely be on a Rogers or Telus plan that doesn't offer Canada Wide calls.  I suggest when in Rome do as the Romans, so have a Quebec number when in Quebec and when in BC change your number back to a BC number.

@k-d-s, you should be more concerned about people who will be calling your daughter in Quebec.  A call from a Quebec landline to a BC number will be consider long distance.  Her local friends and businesses may not choose to call her if she has a long distance number.

As previously mentioned, most apartments, flats, stratus, etc use call boxes for entry.  If her number is from BC, it most likely will not work.

I firmly believe you have a local number for where you spend most of your time.  Use apps like Facebook messenger or Google Hangouts to connect with distance friends and relatives who only have local calling plans.  Setting up a Fongo or TextNow account with a free Canadian number is also an option to have both a BC and Quebec number.

@GinYVR wrote:

@LovesToPMAfter reading it a bit more.. Fizz's support is via Chat and Facebook Messenger.. so I can see they are aiming for a different demographic.. Well they seem to be even more value concious than PM, I can see people would want to use it outside Quebec.. like the Sask plans.

@GinYVR You are right.Their best features they have are data rollover and data gifting.

They also have a forum, which is open to the public: https://community.fizz.ca/

They have real-time chat with CSR's but they have to create a ticket for any "technical" questions.

However there is little to no chance of Fizz being offered outside of Quebec/Ottawa area. They are owned by Quebecor and use the Videotron network. Outside of the subscriber area, they partner with Rogers in the rest of Canada which is considered "roaming".

@LovesToPMAfter reading it a bit more.. Fizz's support is via Chat and Facebook Messenger.. so I can see they are aiming for a different demographic.. Well they seem to be even more value concious than PM, I can see people would want to use it outside Quebec.. like the Sask plans.

@k-d-sPublic Mobile's payment is "quirky" to say the least.. we (normal Public Mobile users and it seems Moderators) don't know what cards it likes or dislikes.. having a few around just increases your odds especially if your focus is just to get the SIM card activated.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@k-d-s 

Public Mobile has great plans for students. It's prepaid and there are no overages.

You can get unlimited International texting for $15 ($13 if you sign-up for pre-authorized payment). Unlimited picture texting (MMS) is also included.
It includes 100 minutes out-going Canada-wide calling and unlimited incoming.
And there is a little data (250 MB) for emergencies.

Take a gander here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

@GinYVR Please don't consider Fizz, they are mostly Quebec based. You are not allowed to use their service outside of Quebec for more than 3 months. Also they are fairly new and in the midst of their stabilization period atm.

Edit: Apologies for the late reply, had to afk.

k-d-s

Thanks, but why a few credit cards? 

@k-d-sAs long as your plan has unlimited minutes and Canada wide. You can call as long as you want.

While you are contemplating.. do try to activate your SIM card off peak hours, a few different credit cards handy, and make sure EVERYTHING is working way ahead of time before your daughter leaves.. as if anything goes wrong it may take Moderators up to 48 hours to get it straightened out..

@k-d-s wrote:

So, to be perfectly clear, If I have a Canada wide plan, I could call anywhere in Canada, anytime, from ANY Location in Canada??? And, the calls are unlimited? No Long distance charges?  Is this correct?  Thanks

@k-d-s You got it. Call away.🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@k-d-s wrote:

So, if I set her up with a local BC area code number, would I be able to call that number when she is in Quebec and as far as my call is concerned, it would appear as a local call?

Yes.  Her Canada wide plan will cover her incoming call from you. 

If you have a local only calling plan, her number must be in the same local calling area. 

If you have a provincial calling plan, she can just get any number with a BC area code.

Everyone in my family has a Canada wide calling plan so that we don't worry about the extra long distance charge.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Absolutely.

k-d-s

So, to be perfectly clear, If I have a Canada wide plan, I could call anywhere in Canada, anytime, from ANY Location in Canada??? And, the calls are unlimited? No Long distance charges?  Is this correct?  Thanks

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@k-d-s wrote:

Hello, I am trying to figure out if Public Mobile would be good for my daughter who is starting University in Montreal, but her home Province is BC. So, she would be in Montreal for 8 months of the year and BC for 4 months. Is it possible to keep the same number for both BC and Quebec? From my research, I found somewhere that said when you are out of your home province you can still make calls within the province you are in and is covered under the plan. My thinking is to set her up with Quebec as her home province and when she is in BC, she could make unlimited calls and text within BC, all under the same plan. Anyone have experience with this or could provide some insight? Thanks

@k-d-s As others have mentioned just choose a Canada wide calling plan. Most ready made plans already include Canada wide calling so then it becomes a non issue.

@k-d-s wrote:

If you have a Canada wide talk plan and you are roaming out of your home location, how do the roaming fees work? Are there additional long distance fees? 

That isn't what roaming is. Roaming happens when you're connected to another carrier's network.

I've merged this two threads about similar topics.

@k-d-s wrote:

so, they don't pay any kind of roaming fees outside of Alberta?

There are no roaming chrages in Canada at Public Mobile.

@k-d-s wrote:

So, if I set her up with a local BC area code number, would I be able to call that number when she is in Quebec and as far as my call is concerned, it would appear as a local call?

You can't control where she is. If for example, you're in Vancouver and call a Vanvouver number, for you that's a local call.

k-d-s

so, they don't pay any kind of roaming fees outside of Alberta?

@k-d-s wrote:

If you have a Canada wide talk plan and you are roaming out of your home location, how do the roaming fees work? Are there additional long distance fees? 

@k-d-s Public Mobile does not charge roaming fees so you have nothing to worry about.

k-d-s

Lorca

No additional fees.

Lorca

If you have a Canada wide plan you can call to or from anywhere in Canada.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

When my kids moved to BC and ON, they keep their AB numbers with their Canada wide calling plan.  Since they have AB phone numbers, they pay 5% tax instead of 12%/13% tax

@k-d-s wrote:

In my opinion, when it comes to Public Mobile, there really isn't any such thing as a "home province".  

Provinces can't actually be chosen, but rather only phone numbers from specific cities.

When it comes to making outgoing calls, the city of the dialing phone number never makes any difference.  For provincial calling, it only matters that a call is being made from a phone to somewhere within the same province as the current location.

For incoming calls (from someone calling from anywhere), text messaging, and data, use nation-wide is included.

As for pepple calling your daughter, her having a phone number from a different city may cause them to need to pay long distance.  Not all customers of all phone carriers have province-wide calling.  Local calling area rules would still apply in those cases.

k-d-s

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@k-d-sYou can keep the same number for Quebec and BC.. Public Mobile doesn't care. She can also even change the number every 30 days via selfserve, so she can have a BC number for summer months (of course she will have to give up on the Quebec number in the interim).

If her number is in Quebec, it would cost her friends in BC who doesn't have a Canada wide plans long distance to call her (but who use phones as phones these days?). Also if she ever live off campus, then most apartment ringer system only allows local numbers.

Lots of flexibility and she can use Public Mobile's selfserve to adapt to a lot of possibilities by herself.

Another possiblity is Videotron's Fizz.. basically their version of Public Mobile.. seems they cribbed PM's playbook word for word.

Recovery

Public Mobile includes Canada-wide talk and text. Out of province and still within Canada only matters if you are on a provincial plan, not something you have to worry about while on a canada-wide plan. 

kelvarnsen

Why not just get a Canada wide plan? I'm not 100% sure how the province thing works but I think if she was in Quebec and someone was calling from BC it wouldn't work. It also wouldn't let her call from Quebec to BC unless she bought a long distance minutes add on.

Need Help? Let's chat.