cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan for 7 year old

Danielle5368
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m considering putting a plan on my 7 year olds phone. Can I shut data off? 

14 REPLIES 14

@Anonymous 

I had only heard quebec customers were successful because of their stronger consumer laws. I had the evidence to argue the point for a new customer but unfortunately I did not think  enough evidence to advocate for existing customers or at least my two referrals who had their scheduled plan changes to the $15 canada wide plan cancelled that night and despite having these two plans on offer they were both told they could only change the $15 province wide plan w/250mb of data.

@computergeek541 

Is there still a possibility of advocating for these two customers that they should be recieving 500mb?

Screenshot_20210216-003201_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210615-205336~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BKNS27 : The $15 plan is only 250MB autopay or not.

I know that this plan is no longer available, but there is a version of the $15 plan that includes 500MB of data. It wan't supposed to be that way, but some customers who signed up when 500MB was mistakenly advertised got it if requested.

Oh fantastic. I hadn't heard that some people called them on the wording and won. Nice.

@Anonymous 

Yes, corrected! 👍

When I signed up on PM, I remember that the additional bonus 250mb was added if you are on AutoPay…not any more. 😢

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that this plan is no longer available, but there is a version of the $15 plan that includes 500MB of data. It wan't supposed to be that way, but some customers who signed up when 500MB was mistakenly advertised got it if requested.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Danielle5368 

There's a lot of good suggestions here, but thought I'd also poke and ask WHY you're asking about disabling data.  Once we know, we might be able to give some other thoughts related to it.

Otherwise, @darlicious has made some good suggestions about how to disable (or "waste") data.  In generally, I would suggesting turning off Data on the phone, then you can further modify the APN settings so data doesn't work.  Most people I know don't think to check the APN Settings (even the techy people until they've exhausted most other things).

One other note: the cheapest $15 plan "comes with data" but officially I think it's only if you add AutoPay.  Without it, I think you technically DON'T get data but it generally gets added anyway (somebody correct me if I'm wrong?).  If that's the case, there may be something that can be done on the back end... (not sure about this though).

So you have a lot of options... let us know the reason behidn it and perhaps we'll ahve some other ideas!  🙂

On a different thought... you could also tell your 7 year nothing about Data, and if s/he asks, say that you've disabled it.  It's the truth - I don't believe in lying to anyone because it could come back and bite you later on.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Danielle5368 

What is the make and model of the phone you are planning to give your 7 year old so we can help you with the phone setting.

As noted by members, a $15 plan will fit your needs and sign up on AutoPay so you can get 250mb of data.

You can use this data on useful apps so you can monitor your child location at all time when he is out on their own, blocking, kids music and kids game apps.

@Danielle5368 

I like @darlicious idea of wasting it using the HotSpot. Or perhaps you can leave the data on (turn wi-fi off) and let it be wasted. A 7 year old with friends or an older sibling/cousin may catch on how to review the settings. Keep one thing in mind...I hope the phone is NOT an iPhone. If it is then you have a mess with settings for iMessage on or off. As my iPhone settings will not allow texts when not on wifi (or data) from another iPhone but works all of the time with a text from an android. So with out changing my iPhone settings I have to turn on data to receive any texts from another Apple product when away from Wi-Fi. 

I don't like to say this....but you might have to say their is no data with the plan and take it from there. 

@Danielle5368 

All plans come with data. The $15 plan has 250mb. If you are concerned about your 7 year old accessing the internet you have a couple of options.

1. On the night of the renewal at midnight eastern the plan data resets. You could waste the data. Or hot spot it to your own device.
  2. You could treat your child to download a couple of their favourite cute kittie videos, tiktok videos if you allow them, music they enjoy or allow them to play their favourite game under supervision. Anything with video will quickly use up the data. It can also serve as a teaching moment on conserving ( or not) data usage.
  3. You can set the APN for MMS only or if you also want to restrict MMS then it only takes a misplaced comma or period or two in the APN settings to disable the data from working. (Which will work for a few years at least until they figure that out....but you can just tell them its a no data plan....)
  4. If its an Apple device there is the ability to disable the data thru your apple id/profile/account.
  5. Get an older LG phone that had been used with a non telus/koodo/pm provider. They need a factory reset to enable and set up the APN for pm so data/MMS will not work.

@Danielle5368 

In my opinion, Public mobile is well suited for a kids plan. It is prepaid and no extra charges or overages.  For example, once you use up data, it just stops working and no surprise charges.  

$15 plan is a good plan for light users.  Unlimited incoming calls and 100 minute outgoing calls per 30 day cycle.  You can purchase a $5 add on for 500 Canada wide outgoing minutes just in case (unused minutes roll over to next month).  250 mb data is such a low amount of data and likely will be used up quickly anyways.  Or as stated above, you can control use at the phone level.  

Dtack
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Danielle5368 - while you can't purchase a plan from PM without Data, there is no overage charge.  I would try to disable it on the phone itself.  Good luck!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Even the cheapest plan, $15, comes with 250 Mb for free (It said with Autopay, but truth is for this particular plan, you get this with or without Autopay)

I suggest you to turn Data Off for your 7 years old.  If you are concern, download some app that might lock the Settings menu so he won't be able to change it

If you concern is that he will overuse the data, no worry.  PM is Prepaid service, you get what you are given unless you pay ahead and buy extra.  So, worst case, your kid used up the 250Mb and won't be able to use more or cost more

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Danielle5368 There's no discount if data isn't used.  Plans start at $15 and all the current plans include data. There could be apps to stop your child from accessing certain stuff.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Danielle5368 wrote:

I’m considering putting a plan on my 7 year olds phone. Can I shut data off? 

@Danielle5368 

Hi there,

You can disable data on the device/phone itself. Just don't show where the setting is for that to your 7 year old. Although eventually, they will probably find it. 🙂

You cannot shut off data from an account point of view.

There are no overages here, so if it gets turned on there will never be extra charges.

Need Help? Let's chat.