cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture texts using data plan or text plan?

hannastarkie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have just transferred my number today from Koodo, where i had unlimited text prepaid plan. Now i have the $15 plan here with unlimited text and calling with the small amount of data (250mb).

I turned my data off, so that i won't use it unless i absolutely need to.
I can not send or receive picture texts, unless my data is on.
If i am without wifi and send a picture, will that use my 250mb data or will it be included in my unlimited text plan. 
I would like to hang on to the data for when i have to look up information without wifi. 
I am a teen and not without wifi often but there are a few times when i need data to look something up on a map etc.

7 REPLIES 7

hannastarkie

srlawren Thank you so much for the clear explanation! 
And all the members for the help.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

if u use actual data on then yes it would use and count towards ur total but if u, use the apn for just the mms then it wouldn't count towards ur total data but would appear on ur phones usage, tricky right

@slash407 your replies could not be more difficult to read, and as always, wrong.  MMS never ever counts toward your data usage, regardless of how you have your APN set up.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LaOmbra

@sr3323 wrote:

You need data and the person you are sending to needs data. Wifi will not work for this.

Android yes; iPhone not necessarily as iMessage will travel on wifi with pictures, but, of course, that is not actually MMS.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407  mms do not use data that counts towards data usage period. 

sr3323
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You need data and the person you are sending to needs data. Wifi will not work for this.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

MMS uses unmetered mobile data.  So there is no concern that MMS will use up the data allotment.  Because it uses mobile data, turning it off will mean that MMS does not work.  My suggestion is to keep mobile on, turn off account sync and individually on each app turn off background data.  This will keep MMS working while preserving mobile data.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@hannastarkie wrote:

I have just transferred my number today from Koodo, where i had unlimited text prepaid plan. Now i have the $15 plan here with unlimited text and calling with the small amount of data (250mb).

I turned my data off, so that i won't use it unless i absolutely need to.
I can not send or receive picture texts, unless my data is on.
If i am without wifi and send a picture, will that use my 250mb data or will it be included in my unlimited text plan. 
I would like to hang on to the data for when i have to look up information without wifi. 
I am a teen and not without wifi often but there are a few times when i need data to look something up on a map etc.

To send/receive MMS you need to turn data on even though it does not use any data it must be turned on to work.

Need Help? Let's chat.