cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Texting

K1968
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just hooked up 2 lines, plans states "Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging". Texting working but pictures not. Other resolution here stated you had to have data on.....why would it not work when connected to Wifi ??  No where that I can find does it say data much be on. Also tried to set up "apn", couldn't exactly find where to do that........

20 REPLIES 20

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

With my motorola phone, I need my data on in order to send or receive a mms. The data it uses does not count against your limit.

Barbie2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I could not text the first day either. I had to do a quick google to see why. Google says that you need data on. But, I don't think it actually uses data. 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

@gpixel  my old phone Huawei Honor 6x that I got in USA worked like this. I had data off all the time and was able to text pics/video.

My Huawei P30 Pro. I need to leave data on to text pic/video. I do alot of MMS and it never affects my data. This was the same when I had the Huawei P20.

It's strange though. It must be something in a particular phone that lets people send MMS with data turned off. I don't know 🤔 maybe I'll research it one day when I'm bored lol

My Samsung S7 does it automatically. I can watch it flip to data and then the MMS transfers and then flips off. No buffer taken either. There must be a setting buried somewhere but I'm fine with it functioning that way.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@K1968 

Welcome to PM, what I personally do with data, and sending pictures, if I’m home I usually have my data off, so it does not use any data, with background apps etc. When I send a picture or know someone is sending me I turn it on. Seems to work. 

@gpixel  my old phone Huawei Honor 6x that I got in USA worked like this. I had data off all the time and was able to text pics/video.

My Huawei P30 Pro. I need to leave data on to text pic/video. I do alot of MMS and it never affects my data. This was the same when I had the Huawei P20.

It's strange though. It must be something in a particular phone that lets people send MMS with data turned off. I don't know 🤔 maybe I'll research it one day when I'm bored lol

@gpixel was your data off? And if it was,  could you check your developer options settings and see if "mobile data is always active " is enabled. Thanks. Stay safe. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@K1968 I felt the same pain when I started, I think because when I started I had never turned my data off before, and when I started with Public I decided to turn it iff to limit the use of data on my phone by apps. But quickly found out that I cant send mms without data, or receive group messages. 

I have a toggle on the top of my phone now that I used to toggle my data on and off when I leave the house or when I want to send a mms. 

And like many have already said it doesnt actually use data but is needed to launch it. 

Here is an old Telus forum article that explains it: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/Why-do-I-need-Cellular-Data-turned-on-to-send-receive-M...

Screenshot_20200509_210158.jpg

@gblackma @K1968 maybe it depends on your phone and messaging app nowadays, cause I was able to recieve a picture message from my friend today. and I was only on wifi. 

-was using stock google messaging app

@K1968 glad that mms works. Try this article. https://www.xfinity.com/hub/mobile/difference-between-imessages-and-sms-messages

My explanations seem to be confusing you more.

K1968

So I turned data on, went into his settings and turned all cellular data off on his apps. So is all I have to do?  Pictures are working. I read that if he leaves wifi, his data will start to be used. Does this mean only if he opens an app like FB?  This is all so confusing to me 😞

@K1968 

You can restrict background data.

You can disable updates while on data (wifi only)

You can disable wifi assist (that uses data we your wifi signal is weak, that may I'll your data really fast)

Some phones have data saver, check if yours does

Or do as my mom does, keep data off all the time, only turn it on when need to send out when you receive message. Sometimes she has a senior moment and calls me that something is wrong and she can't send her message, but usually as soon as I answer she remembers.

@K1968 

1. Did you reset your network settings, enable data and can you now send an mms text message?  Thanks.
  2. The iPhone default message app is Imessage this is used to send messages between iPhones. It either uses data or WiFi. You should turn it off when not on wifi to conserve data. 
  3. In order to send and receive messages from Android phones. Data, Sms and mms must be enabled. 
  4. 7 ways to seriously cut back on iPhone data usage
  1. Restrict iTunes and App Store downloads. ...
  2. Disable background app refresh. ...
  3. See which apps are using the most data. ...
  4. Disable Wi-Fi Assist. ...
  5. Download music, don't stream. ...
  6. Fetch mail less frequently. ...
  7. Use Safari's Reading List.

Hope this helps. Stay safe. 

K1968

Data went from 5MB down to .056MB  - that worked   🙂

So Data has to be on - I understand that 🙂

Just to clarify the "danger" you mentioned regarding apps when on data, "please disable while on data". (sorry not phone expert)....  This is what I want their phones to be able to do if possible, send text/pictures but use wifi when [possible, data only for urgent needs........I hope I am asking correctly. Several have responded, which I appreciate, have to stick to one person right now

@K1968 as @Luddite pointed out above I botched my explanation. What I meant to say is that although it uses data, it doesn't cost you any of your plan data. There was a don't missing frome the 3rd part. I corrected it. The 5mb is a buffer that gets returned to you gradually over time. For both your IPhones reset your network settings when the phones restart it will automatically propagate the correct APN settings. 

to reset the network settings on your Apple iPhone
  1. Touch Settings.
  2. Touch General.
  3. Scroll to and touch Reset.
  4. Touch Reset Network Settings.
  5. Touch Reset Network Settings.
  6. The iPhone will reboot. Once it turns on, the default network settings will be restored.

Enable data, sms and mms messages to receive messages from Android phones and try sending an mms message.  Stay safe. 

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@K1968 hi the 5mb is a buffer it will be returned toggle on airplane mode you will see it will be returned or if you just leave it for awhile it will be deducted off your data usage  as stated above data needs to be on just remember there is a danger that apps and such can try to download updates so please disable while on data download with wifi only this can be done in your phone settings have a great day!!

K1968

your reply was a bit confusing:

data has to be on to send an mms text message.

It doesn't use your plan data. 

But it uses data in order to send the mms message.

Therefore if I read your last sentence correctly, it will use data? But your second sentence states if doesn't   😞

We turned on data, pictures went through but used 5MB from data plan...

We also went into settings and changed APN to SP.MB.COM, the only other blanks that show up are username and password.

We have an Iphone 8 and IphoneXR

@K1968 It would also help if we knew the make and models of your phones. Thanks. 

@gblackma wrote:

@K1968 data has to be on to send an mms text message.  It doesn't use your plan data. But it uses data in order to send the mms message. Basically you have to have an active data plan in order to send an mms text message.  Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

FYI: Incorrect info crossed out.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

While MMS/picture messages does use data, there is no charge for that data at PM. On the other hand, MMS will only function when cellular data is ON and APN settings are correct. If you have data in your plan and can surf the internet then your APN settings are fine. Otherwise, 

APN Settings

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Leave blank

Port: Leave blank

Username: Leave blank

Password: Leave blank

Server: Leave blank

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Leave blank

APN type: default,supl,mms,DUN

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

Especially no spaces in APN Type field: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Calling-Texting-Data-work-fine-MMS-no...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@K1968 data has to be on to send an mms text message.  It doesn't use your plan data. But it uses data in order to send the mms message. Basically you don't have to have an active data plan in order to send an mms text message.  Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.