cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Messaging

kpat99
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning,

I set up a Public Mobile plan which includes 1GB about of data for my daughter a few months ago and it is fantastic. Pretty much half price from all other providers.

Anyway, the only issue we have is that she can't send or receive picture messages. She has an Iphone 6, the cell data is turned on, what gives?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

19 REPLIES 19

Colleen_O

@GinYVR wrote:

@Colleen_OOkay so your data is working, so there is no need to mess with APN. Another thing you can try is to toggle iMessages off and then on.. it should briefly say Waiting for Activation... after it will come back saying "iMessages can be sent between iPhone, iPad......." Try sending another iMessage and see what happens.

Toggling iMessage off and then on has been the answer. Turned out to be a very simple fix for something that I thought was going to be very complex. Thank you @GinYVR for your help last night.

@Colleen_O Check that your Carrier Settings is up to date also.  I believe this is in the General settings within the Settings App on iOS.  I'm not an iPhone guy, and my iPadAir 3 doesn't have the cellular ability.

@Colleen_OGood to hear.. remember to turn your wifi back on, after you have verified it is working, to conserve your data.

Colleen_O

@GinYVR wrote:

@Colleen_OOkay so your data is working, so there is no need to mess with APN. Another thing you can try is to toggle iMessages off and then on.. it should briefly say Waiting for Activation... after it will come back saying "iMessages can be sent between iPhone, iPad......." Try sending another iMessage and see what happens.

Hey GinYVR. That might have worked. I turned off wifi and successfully sent a photo to my husbands TELUS phone. It’s late here in Ontario so I’ll do some more testing tomorrow. Thanks and have a good night!

Colleen_O

@GinYVR wrote:

@Colleen_OOh I just reread your original message can you click on Reset Settings so your APN setting is back to like this?

IMG_2842.jpg

I have reset it now. 

@Colleen_OOh I just reread your original message can you click on Reset Settings so your APN setting is back to like this?

IMG_2842.jpg

Colleen_O

Unforunately iMessages do use data, while SMS/MSS do not.. So make sure you have Send as SMS toggle enabled under Settings -> Messages. When that happnes, the messages you send will fallback to SMS / MMS ie green bubble.

SMS enabledSMS enabled

Yes, Send as SMS is turned on.

Colleen_O

@GinYVR wrote:

@Colleen_OFor the later iOS you don't want to mess with the APN. It will led you down a rabbit hole. With your wifi off, can you connect to say www.google.ca or www.cbc.ca via Safari?

If not I suggest you log into your account to make sure you have your data allocation. If it is not in your profile.. it is likely that you have used up all your data for the month.

Thanks for your reply. I tested as you suggested and Data is working. I checked my account and I have only used 28 MB out of my 250 MB plan. I am fairly new to PM. I was on the $25 plan for the first month and just changed last week to the $15 plan.

@Colleen_OFor the later iOS you don't want to mess with the APN. It will led you down a rabbit hole. With your wifi off, can you connect to say www.google.ca or www.cbc.ca via Safari?

If not I suggest you log into your account to make sure you have your data allocation. If it is not in your profile.. it is likely that you have used up all your data for the month. Unforunately iMessages do use data, while SMS/MSS do not.. So make sure you have Send as SMS toggle enabled under Settings -> Messages. When that happnes, the messages you send will fallback to SMS / MMS ie green bubble.

SMS enabledSMS enabled

Colleen_O

@Psygineer wrote:

@kpat99 wrote:

Thanks, I'm heading out for a few hours but when I'm back i'll give that a shot and post my results!

Kevin

Make sure your APN is configured as follows:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: Leave blank 

I am using an iPhone 7 ios 12.3.1 and cannot send or receive pictures via iMessage unless I am connected to wifi. Data is turned on. As far as the instructions go for configuring APN settings, I can't change anything except for the APN itself. I have no settings visible for the rest of the information shown above. (See the screen shot from my phone. I have changed the APN to "sp.mb.com" from "isp.mb.com" shown here.) Where would I find MMS settings on my phone? Thanks for any advice.

IMG_0998.PNG

kpat99

Thank you, all I had to do was change my APN from isp.mb.com to sp.mb.com

Kevin

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kpat99 wrote:

Thanks, I'm heading out for a few hours but when I'm back i'll give that a shot and post my results!

Kevin

Make sure your APN is configured as follows:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: Leave blank 

@kpat99 

Does your phone's data work?  Ie. able to check email, surf web, etc.  If it does work, the APN settings should be fine.  

In the phone's settings, imessage section, make sure MMS Messaging is turn on.  

kpat99

Kevin

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm going to guess you need to setup the APN settings? Search the PM community database and you will find the iPhone APN settings documented.

An Access Point Name (APN) is the name of a gateway between a GSM, GPRS, 3G or 4G mobile network and another computer network, frequently the publicInternet. A mobile device making a data connection must be configured with an APN to present to the carrier.

kpat99

Thanks for the messages guys, but yes my cell data is turned on. And I don't really know what to say about the file size, pictures on new phones are generally 3-4 MB, typically they get reduced before sending. As I mentioned she can't send or receive so I don't think this will help.

Any other thoughts?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is data turned off? Picture messaging requires data to be turned on (and the APN configured properly so data actually works). I am told it doesn't actually use data to use it, but it still needs to be turned on. It worked fine on my iPhone 5s once I turned data on.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@kpat99 wrote:

Good morning,

I set up a Public Mobile plan which includes 1GB about of data for my daughter a few months ago and it is fantastic. Pretty much half price from all other providers.

Anyway, the only issue we have is that she can't send or receive picture messages. She has an Iphone 6, the cell data is turned on, what gives?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I don't know iPhone 6, but my daughter-in-law who use iPhone 6 has no problem at all. But for me I will get message said the file which was 1MB and attached was too big can't sent it, I use Asus Zonfone 4 Max.

Need Help? Let's chat.