cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Messaging/MMS

wave713
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I amd new to Public Mobile.  I think this help community forum is a very good idea.

I have a question about picture messaging.  I think this is also known as MMS.

I have no data in my prepaid plan, hence, I don't have any access to Network Data.  However, my plan does include unlimited internaltional text and picture messaging.  Based on the reading that I have done in the community so far, it appears that in order for Picture Messaging, I still need to turn on network data, and not WiFi.  Hopefully this is right conclusion.

Correct me if I am mistaken, are the following true after turning on network data on my device, 

1. Since I do not pay for any data plan, I still will not have access to data usage (e.g. not able to browse internet and etc.), assuming WiFi is off.  

2. No additional charge for any data usage.  (I assume MMS uses network data to download/upload media file, but these upload/download will not count as "data usage"?)

3. MMS will then now work magically through network data?  (I also read that APN needs to set up correctly)

4. MMS does not work through WiFi connection (at least as far as Public Mobile is concerned)

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bandolin wrote:

My entire family can send MMS w/o data. I just tried with my LG G6 and it can only send MMS while mobile data is on. I find that odd.

@Bandolin  does data generally work on your G6?  If you haven't had data working at all on your G6 after moving to Public Mobile, you may need to try first a network reset to see if that resolves it, and if not, back everything up you want to keep and do a factory reset.  Many LG models (including the G6) have a quirk where data will not work after changing carriers until you've done these steps, unfortunately.  You can thank LG for this!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Bandolin wrote:

My entire family can send MMS w/o data. I just tried with my LG G6 and it can only send MMS while mobile data is on. I find that odd.

MMS requires data on all phones.  If you're able to send something that resembles MMS with cellular data disabled, the message is either being sent via an instant messaging app, or it's first being converted to some other format before sending.

Bandolin

Bandolin

I did all of the above mentioned and it still doesn't work for me. My whole family is with Public Mobile and they can all send and receive picture via text message. I am the only one with an LG G6. Wife=  iphone 4, Daughter = Samasung S7, Son Samsung J7. None of them had to do any set up. I don't know, maybe their phones came preconfigured but I doubt it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shskr wrote:

@jkfraser23 wrote:

Hi There,

Setting up the Public Mobile APN should allow you to connect to their data network, and use their network for MMS Messaging, even though you won't be able to web browse because you do not have a data plan. To Setup APN if you don't know how:

1) Tap: ➡ Settings ➡ More ➡ Access Point Names ➡ New APN Settings
2) Input this info: ➡ Name: Public Mobile ➡ APN: sp.mb.com ➡ MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 ➡ MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc ➡ MMS port: 80 ➡ MCC: 302 ➡ MNC: 220
3) Leave all the other fields blank. Just hit save, and you’re good to go!

I have no way of doing that on my iphone 8+ (adding manually) The phone is up to date with the latest updates. 

Which provider did you used you iPhone 8+ with?

Some provider does not let user to change the APN.

1.  Try the following locations to look for APN setting:

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

2.  Can you reset the network setting on your iPhone?

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jkfraser23 wrote:

Hi There,

Setting up the Public Mobile APN should allow you to connect to their data network, and use their network for MMS Messaging, even though you won't be able to web browse because you do not have a data plan. To Setup APN if you don't know how:

2) Input this info: ➡ Name: Public Mobile ➡ APN: sp.mb.com ➡ MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 ➡ MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc ➡ MMS port: 80 ➡ MCC: 302 ➡ MNC: 220

I have no way of doing that on my iphone 8+ (adding manually) The phone is up to date with the latest updates. 

CherylKirby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Unless you turn your phone's Mobile Data on, it will not send any pictures. If you are in a place that has open Wifi, you can send your pictures through the WiFi and not be charged but the mobile setting has to be turned on.

Ba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@wave713 wrote:Correct me if I am mistaken, are the following true after turning on network data on my device, 

1. Since I do not pay for any data plan, I still will not have access to data usage (e.g. not able to browse internet and etc.), assuming WiFi is off.  

2. No additional charge for any data usage.  (I assume MMS uses network data to download/upload media file, but these upload/download will not count as "data usage"?)

3. MMS will then now work magically through network data?  (I also read that APN needs to set up correctly)

4. MMS does not work through WiFi connection (at least as far as Public Mobile is concerned)

Thanks,

1. Correct

2. Correct - It will show in the log but you are not charged for anything.

3. Correct

1. Correct, unless you use an texting app that is capable of MMS.

jkfraser23

Hi There,

Need Help? Let's chat.