cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone wont activate

Sommer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So recently I bought a sim card and phone minutes and I set it all up. Now I got an email after setting it up 3 days ago saying my phone is activated but my sim card only says emergency calls only. I went to walmart for help and they told me theres nothing I can do besides buying another sim and more minutes which I dont want to do because I already set up my account and I just want my phone to work. I'm very discouraged because I've heard good things about this company and it's not fair. I've tried everything. I've looked through all the forums. I've messed with the apns and selecting public mobile as my carrier and it still says it's not accepted. My phone is unlocked. I'm very discouraged 

19 REPLIES 19

Can you test you phone with another sim, from any other carrier?  See if it works?  Is this phone new, have you used it with another carrier previously?

I think there is the possibility that it is lock to another carrier.

@Sommer  As you have already sent a message to the moderators, and given everything you have tried, it's likely you need to wait for them to reactivate your account.

While you are waiting here are some other thoughts:

a) How certain are you that the phone is unlocked? Where did you buy it? 

b) Reboot your phone with the PM SIM installed. What is the exact message that displays?

c) Does a different SIM (which) work in your phone? Do try, as suggested, the PM SIM in another unlocked phone.

d) To, temporarily, make calls try an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi (or cellular data).

Sad start with PM. Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Sommer wrote:

Just says phone not on network

@Sommer  can you try the sim in another phone?

Sommer

It wont let me sign up. I dont have the number it gave me either. Cant check my phone either because it's not registered on a network it says

Sommer

Just says phone not on network

@Sommer wrote:

I have the PM sim in the phone right now. My phone is unlocked 

@Sommer  Dial *#*#4636#*#*  select Phone Information. Does it show phone number, current network, Voice Service, Data service etc? If not, what does it show?

@Sommer wrote:

@Sommer  Did you setup your self serveserve account? If not, click here to register your selfserve account.

Sommer

Yeah, just pretty discouraged at this point. Sucks being out close to 100 bucks for something that doesn't even work

@SommerUnfortunately Public Mobile is cheap because they dont' have a call center and there is no store front that can help customers. I recommend it you are discouraged and require more help in the real realm move up one tier to Koodo or Fido.. in terms of support, you do get what you pay for.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sommer wrote:

Samsung galaxy a5 

I got an email saying my account was active, now I cant use that email to log in because it says its invalid. 

And no, walmart was useless wouldn't even help me

If you activate online, you self-serve account should be created.  Use the email address and password to login to your account.

If you activate in-store, you need to create you self-serve account.  But without a working phone, you cannot receive the 6 digits code by text message.

You can send a private message to moderator for help.

Moderator wait time is up to 2 days.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your self serve account to make sure it is active.  If you have another phone then try putting the sim to see if you get service.

Sommer

Sommer

Samsung galaxy a5 

I got an email saying my account was active, now I cant use that email to log in because it says its invalid. 

And no, walmart was useless wouldn't even help me

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Sommer wrote:

So recently I bought a sim card and phone minutes and I set it all up. Now I got an email after setting it up 3 days ago saying my phone is activated but my sim card only says emergency calls only. I went to walmart for help and they told me theres nothing I can do besides buying another sim and more minutes which I dont want to do because I already set up my account and I just want my phone to work. I'm very discouraged because I've heard good things about this company and it's not fair. I've tried everything. I've looked through all the forums. I've messed with the apns and selecting public mobile as my carrier and it still says it's not accepted. My phone is unlocked. I'm very discouraged 

@Sommer  Are you sure the PM sim card is in the phone? Does your phone support two sims?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sommer 

What phone are you using?

Is your phone unlocked?

Did you activate your PM plan at Walmart?

Login to your self serve account.

Is your account status active?

Sommer

It is. Checked before I bought it. It's a Samsung galaxy a5

PMFanatic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Sommer If you have not already, check Your Phone's Compatibility with PublicMobile's network using the following link.

Goto Step 1 on the webpage and under the "Start Checking" section:

• Select your Phone Brand
  • Select your Phone Model
  • Click the "Check" button to see if your specific phone is compatible with PublicMobile's network.

Sommer

Yeah I've already done both of those things. I'm just very discouraged 

PMFanatic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Sommer Check your APN settings on your phone to match:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

If all else fails, I would recommend messaging the kind folks at the Moderator_Team via this link to investigate your account and to provide some additional insight into your issue.

It helps to provide a detailed description of your problem and what your resolution goals are so they can best assist. If you are having troubles contacting the Moderator_Team, refer to the following knowledge base link. Expect a response within 1 hour or up to 48 hours depending on volumes...

Best of luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.