cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone # transfer not fully successful

Unstable_too
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switched to Public Mobile this afternoon; was assigned a new phone number. Wanted to use my previous #, but Walmart employee said they've been experiencing issues recently with porting over numbers -- told me to do it through my Public Mobile account online.

I did the necessary steps, but my Google Pixel 3's "About phone" information is still showing the new Walmart-assigned #.

Incoming MMS text msgs are going into a separate group text that didn't exist before today. Incoming SMS text msgs show up from the correct contact name.

Put my SIM card in a different phone -- the Walmart-assigned # is listed in the "about phone" info.

Why hasn't the cell number fully transferred?

17 REPLIES 17

Alright, alright, alright.....welcome to public mobile. Happy it's all worked out for you. Come by the community anytime...were always open.

Unstable_too

This is exactly what my husband figured had to be the case.

Yes, received a text from Public Mobile saying the transfer was complete.

Yes, I can receive calls when my previous Bell # is dialled.

I will try again tomorrow submit a ticket to have the change pushed to the SIM. Tonight's attempt to submit one did not work!

Thank you for your help:-)

@Unstable_too wrote:

Ok; thanks.  I'll try calling tomorrow morning.

I need a break from phone troubleshooting!

@Unstable_too  Good plan...have a friend call your old number if your phone rings @computergeek541  is correct and it's already done. Good luck in the morning if you need it.

@Unstable_too  It may be a little too late tonight but you can try the number. Otherwise call in the morning I think they open at 8am et on a Sunday.  The moderators would not be able to help til then as well. Call tonight and confirm when they are open who knows you might luck out tonight .Otherwise you have service just split between 2 numbers. Have your account info ready and ad long as you are the account holder the porting department  should be able to sort it out quite quickly. As insurance try that simple Simon guy again he screws up occasionally....maybe have a cold one first. That way if you encounter another problem you will have a message into the mods waiting to be answered.

Unstable_too

Ok; thanks.  I'll try calling tomorrow morning.

I need a break from phone troubleshooting!

@Unstable_too wrote:

Switched to Public Mobile this afternoon; was assigned a new phone number. Wanted to use my previous #, but Walmart employee said they've been experiencing issues recently with porting over numbers -- told me to do it through my Public Mobile account online.

I did the necessary steps, but my Google Pixel 3's "About phone" information is still showing the new Walmart-assigned #.

Incoming MMS text msgs are going into a separate group text that didn't exist before today. Incoming SMS text msgs show up from the correct contact name.

Put my SIM card in a different phone -- the Walmart-assigned # is listed in the "about phone" info.

I'm going to go against popular opinion and I'll say that I believe that your number porting might be complete.  If porting wasn't complete, incoming text messages from non-Telus/Koodo/Public customers wouldn't even arrive. If you can receive phone calls on your Public Mobile phone when calling the number that you requested to be ported, then the process is done.

Did you receive a text message from Public Mobile on your phone saying that your phone number had been successfully transfered and that the request is completed?  I am specifically asking about a text message on your phone and not on the self-serve screen that says some type of successful message that really means nothing other than the new phone number being assigned to your account (and not an indication of porting success).

The number shown on the sim card is largely a cosmetic thing.  It should have been changed as soon as Public Mobile received the request, and even before Bell Mobility even auhtorized the phone number transfer. The number writter to the sim card is supposed to be pushed by the network, but even it is isn't, this shouldn't have any adverse affects on your service.

If this is all just a matter of the number displayed on the sim card, have the moderators push the correct one through the network.

@ oops thought you hadn't started yet...if two hours have passed it is likely stuck mid process. But all is not lost. You will need yo submit s ticket but since you've already had a problem with that lets see if you being proactive will work in your favour. Call the bell / telus porting department they can probably sort this out without waiting for a moderator. Call 1877 868 3587promptv1. English  prompt 2. Representative

@Unstable_too  Its a bell number so under the same umbrella as telus so it should port over quite quickly but allow 2 hours for it to complete. You should get services back under your old number with calling being last. However it should go smoothly just make sure You enter the correct information.

Unstable_too

I unfortunately didn't do a browser clearing or secret mode when I did the porting this afternoon...

Unstable_too

That's kind of a frustrating thing, too!

I tried creating a ticket--filled out all the fields with the requested info & when I got to the end and clicked 'submit'.... Nothing happened.

The button turned a greenish colour, and that's it!

Clicking again turned the button a dark blue. But that's all!

@Unstable_too  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Self-Serve-Account-Management/ta-p/245...

Whoops sorry this is more helpful kind of... you can port your bell number by going into your self serve account and choosing change number. You then put your old number in. Haven't done it myself but you will need your account number name on account and phone number. As in said before...clear your browser and use secret mode before you start it prevents issues.

@Unstable_too 

Your port should have been completed by now.  Your port is likely stuck.  You will need to contact moderator by clicking on question mark on right lower corner of web page.  Start the ticketing process to contact moderator.  It will take 1-2 days to respond.  In the meantime, you can continue to use your PM SIm card or even your Bell mobility SIM card for now.  

Unstable_too

I did it at 4:30 this afternoon.

It was my previous cell number I had with Bell Mobility.

@Unstable_too 

When did you try to port your line?  It can take several hours for mobile ports and even several days for landline ports.  

@Unstable_too https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824 woohoo did it...hopefully this is a link if not look it up in the search bar.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Unstable_too  Just make sure for now that you set up your self serve account. Once you do this you can port over your old number. Let me check the process but you can search for it in the help articles and review the process before starting or anther member will probably send you the link before I find t. Just be sure to clear your browser and use secret mode before you start.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Unstable_too wrote:

@Unstable_too  The Wal-Mart employee chose a temporary number for you so you could get your service up and running. I'm assuming everything works? Calls,text data? This is common for numbers that might be difficult to port like land lines or a prepaid koodo account. Usually an employee would just port your number over. Who is your former provider this might explain her reasoning. However a lot of people do this to insure they have full service before porting their number over in case there's a problem and they are left with partial or no service at all.

Need Help? Let's chat.