cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number

KimS57
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How long does it usually take to port your number over?

16 REPLIES 16

KimS57

I am with Roger's.

KimS57

Thank  you. 

Ljayone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yeah PM is usually pretty good on that

Ljayone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It can happen anywhere from right now to a day or so

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@dabr  and @ChuckYeah  a port should not take more than 4 hours.  If it does that is when moderators are required to assist in the process.

Many clients in the past have reported ports taking more than 24 hours to complete and if I remember most of them were from Fido/Bell. IMHO not sure that 4 hours is a good metric to go by before contacting the M_T since you need to wait a minimum of 2-5 days to get a response back from the moderator team anyway.

KimS57

I'm glad to know that it won't take very long to port over. Thanks.

KimS57

Thanks. More to learn.  

KimS57

Thank you for the info. I'm on a family plan but the price went up too much. Only have the phone for emergencies.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

According to the CWTA it should be fewer than 5 hours if it's a wireless number. 

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KimS57  That depends on what type of company you are attempting to port from.  If it is another cellular provider (depending on which one it is) it can be a soon as a few hours to a few days. It usually happens with 24 hours. 

However, if it is a port from a landline or voip, then the port time can take much long and up to 7 days. 

When you activate a Sim card with public mobile, you will be able to make calls and texts right away, but all calls to your number will go to your other Sim card (or landline or voip number) unti that company releases the number to public mobile. 

You will receive a text from public mobile once the port is successfully completed. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Port from a landline or VOIP service can take days - sometimes over a week.

Where are you porting from ?

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@dabr  and @ChuckYeah  a port should not take more than 4 hours.  If it does that is when moderators are required to assist in the process.

Yes, but I was thinking of prepaid Koodo which would require moderator's help and if it was a landline or voip (which I should have mentioned in my post). 

The couple of ports I did myself were all done within one hour or less.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@KimS57 wrote:

instantly to upto 4 hours.  If it has been over 4 hours I would contact the moderators.  

To send a private message to a moderator click this link and describe your issue.

Community Moderators are available from Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern)

More info on moderators

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@KimS57 wrote:

It can be anywhere from an hour to a few days depending upon the number being ported, ie: is Koodo prepaid (need moderator assistance, can take upto 2 days for contacting and response back), Koodo postpaid can be done in self serve and is usually quick.  Any other carrier should be also done in self serve, but it is recommended to first get a temporary number, and to keep your old account active until the port is completed.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Some happen almost immediately, but some take 48 hours or more.

Who are you porting from? Is it prepaid?

Need Help? Let's chat.