cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number transfer

lfehr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I just switched over to public mobile this morning and everything seemed to be working fine.

This afternoon the alternate phone number I provided received a voicemail saying I gave the wrong serial number from my previous provider (which I thought was strange, because everything seemed to be working already).

I don't have access to the exact message right now but it said I should leave a serial number (from the old SIM card I'm assuming?) or an account number in a private message on publicmobile.ca. Where would I leave such a message?

9 REPLIES 9

@lfehr wrote:

Update: as I was trying to open a ticket I received a reply from the private message I sent to the moderator team. My IMEI number was rejected for some reason but my account number with my previous provider went through. The new request was sent within an hour of my original private message, and the port was set up and everything was working within a few hours.

If you have the proper account number, it is almost always best to skip both the IMEI and PIN.  IMEI in the carrier's database is not always up to date, and sometimes people have used more than one phone device at a carrier, and don't know which was the last used.  PIN number are often forgetten or confused with voicemail passwords.

lfehr

Update: as I was trying to open a ticket I received a reply from the private message I sent to the moderator team. My IMEI number was rejected for some reason but my account number with my previous provider went through. The new request was sent within an hour of my original private message, and the port was set up and everything was working within a few hours.

Using your new SIM card, as soon as service is set up you can text out, call out or use data. But, until the port of your old number is completed you will not receive calls or texts to your old number on your phone. Sounds to me like the Port simply hasn't completed yet.

AE_Collector

lfehr

I thought I had sent and received texts earlier today, but in a test just now I could only receive. 

Also testing just now, I could make a call but not receive (on the other end it said I was busy).

My Plan and Add-ons page has my old phone number on it.

There's enough funny business here that I think I will open a ticket.

Thanks everyone!

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I talked to someone today irl and they had received a similar call. They believed it was from the Telus porting support team. @CS_Agent should be able to help you though.

@lfehr wrote:

Hi all,

I just switched over to public mobile this morning and everything seemed to be working fine.

This afternoon the alternate phone number I provided received a voicemail saying I gave the wrong serial number from my previous provider (which I thought was strange, because everything seemed to be working already).

I don't have access to the exact message right now but it said I should leave a serial number (from the old SIM card I'm assuming?) or an account number in a private message on publicmobile.ca. Where would I leave such a message?

Serial number refers to the IMEI of the device that you were using at the older carrier.  Unless you're transfering from Petro Canada or Speakout, you really should be using the old carrier's account number by opening a ticket using the automated chat mentioned earlier.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lfehr 

Can you call out and receive incoming calls, send and receive text?

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is 2 - 3 days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

@lfehr  for a faster response you can also submit a ticket.

PMST.png

lfehr

I've just discovered that I can send a private message to the "Moderator_Team", I'm guessing that's what I'm looking for. Nevermind!

Need Help? Let's chat.