cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number ported, but my phone isn’t recognizing it

joscho
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, just recently I had my old phone number ported to my public mobile account (I was with Koodo prepaid.) when I go online to my PM account it says that my phone number is the old one (which I want). But even after registering my SIM card, my phone is saying that I have the new number and not my old one. I’ve tried registering and swapping SIM cards but no luck. Please help!

15 REPLIES 15

@joscho 

Have you contactef the moderators to complete the transfer of your koodo prepaid number? The difference between a normal port of a phone number into pm and a koodo prepaid number is yours is a number transfer between accounts. Koodo prepaid shares the same back end system so the phone number doesn't go out from one provider in to another one it just moves from one account to another. Only moderators can perform this action so until they do so you have to make do with the temporary one.

@joscho 

Carriers are not to reassign old numbers for 45 days so your old number is safe until PM have completed the porting process from Koodo.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@joscho  s

Your concerns are valid, however, everything you've told us thus far is consistent with the porting process.  It takes time.  If you've initiated the port with a Moderator (staff), then let them do their thing first.

We're users just like you helping each other, and a very small number of Moderators/staff processing requests, so they need a bit of space to do their thing.  When did you last hear from a Moderator?  I would suggest giving them until tomorrow before circling back.  Moderators will communicate back to you in a private message (envelope icon, upper-right corner) so just watch out for that.  🙂

@joscho  no worry, did you try to reboot your phone? maybe reboot one more time.

but, you likely just need to wait till tomorrow for it to complete .  There is a porting support line to call.  I will message you.   Check your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right)

joscho

Im just concerned im not going to get my old number back. I still dont understand why my PM account says that my phone number is the ported one, but my phone only recognizes the temporary one, I'm recieving texts and calls to the temporary one, but the ported one says it's innactive. 

joscho

Tried that, but when I enter in my phone number, I never get a verification code to set it up with my phone. I'm not sure if my SIM card is thinking its the different number

BlueB

@joscho wrote:

I can no longer fill out the ticket form because my koodo account is shut down, when I called them they said that the number was ported to Public Mobile, and when I go to the Plan Tab on PM website, it shows my old phonenumber. But my phone is still sending and recieving with the temporary number.

This is correct - porting numbers is a Pull process that Public Mobile (and not Koodo) would handle.  As we've mentioned above, it takes time for the request to be received, processed, and the system(s) to pick up.  It's quicker within the Telus family of companies, but if anything- more involved because it has to be processed internally as opposed to a more automated process from outside Telus.

Essentially, it sounds like you've done what you need to do, so give it time and let Public Mobile and their systems do their thing.  It's faster than a 3rd party landline porting request that could take up to 7 days!  🙂

BlueB

@joscho 

Just to expand on @Dunkman's post, it could potentially take until the next business day if the request wasn't received to be processed by staff (Moderator) that same day.  The best thing to do is just to continue on with your day and keep an eye out for any alerts.  Like watching the grass grow, it's often left to do its own thing once you're in contact with a Moderator to handle everything.  🙂

@joscho wrote:

So I have transferred my number over… when I sign into Public Mobile online, it shows my phone number that I want, but I’m my iPhone settings it is showing the I’m sending and recieving texts on the new number that I registered (even though I want the old one for that)

@joscho If the number on your account shows the one you want, that is the one you have I believe.

Deregister your number with apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201349#:~:text=Then%20go%20to%20Settings%20%3E%20FaceTime,Mac%2C%2....

Then, set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

joscho

I can no longer fill out the ticket form because my koodo account is shut down, when I called them they said that the number was ported to Public Mobile, and when I go to the Plan Tab on PM website, it shows my old phonenumber. But my phone is still sending and recieving with the temporary number.

@joscho 

Did you contact moderator to help compete your port from Koodo prepaid account?  Customers are unable to port directly themselves from Koodo prepaid since Koodo prepaid and PM share the same backend.  As mentioned above, you will need to activate with a temporary PM number and then contact moderator team to complete port.  It can take some time for moderator to respond and complete port.  

joscho

Yes, I have, and I've been waiting for over 6 hours, but in my phone settings, it is still showing my the number I temporarily signed up with. I tried contacting Koodo, but they have shut down my account, and said that the number has been ported, so I'm not sure why my phone is showing different then my Public Mobile account.

BlueB

@joscho 

The porting process is actually a complicated one - a lot happens behind the scenes that we don't see.  In other words, even after you've completed your steps of authorizing the transfer, the telco still has to do their magic and between providers should take upwards of 3 hours once everything is in place.  Within Telus (eg. Koodo), it should be more seamless, but can still take time for them to put it through the system as well.

Have you already gone through the steps that @esjliv provided?

joscho

So I have transferred my number over… when I sign into Public Mobile online, it shows my phone number that I want, but I’m my iPhone settings it is showing the I’m sending and recieving texts on the new number that I registered (even though I want the old one for that)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@joscho wrote:

Hi there, just recently I had my old phone number ported to my public mobile account (I was with Koodo prepaid.) when I go online to my PM account it says that my phone number is the old one (which I want). But even after registering my SIM card, my phone is saying that I have the new number and not my old one. I’ve tried registering and swapping SIM cards but no luck. Please help!

HEllo @joscho 

If you wish to transfer an existing number from Koodo Prepaid or PC Mobile, you will need to first complete your activation with a new number, then reach out to our Moderator team here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile.

EDIT - Sorry, needed to edit this.

Need Help? Let's chat.