cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not seeing the PM sim

badgr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I bought a Public Mobile sim for my kids phone (an ASUS Zenfone 4), activated and set up payments etc, but when the sim is in the phone, the phone is telling me there isn't a sim installed.

I charged overnight his crappy old Alcatel phone, and popped in the new sim this morning and that worked just fine.

So hoping someone in the know might have an idea why the old Alcatel phone can see the sim and the Zenfone won't.

cheers

8 REPLIES 8

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@badgr because the phone was with koodo before it might be causing some conflicts. first insert your koodo sim as the main sim and then install your pm sim. then turn off your phone remove both sims, turn the phone on and then out the pm sim in the main slot and the koodo in the second. 

was the phone factory reset before you gave it to your son?

@badgr  Maybe try resetting the phone to factory defaults and starting over as a new phone setup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@badgr wrote:

Yes, both slots tried

What exact submodel is it?

Can you try a different known-working SIM in it? Of the Telus/Koodo/PM variety preferably? But also Bell/Virgin/Lucky.

Can you set the network type to something other than GSM/2G?

badgr

Yes, both slots tried

@badgr  Does that phone have 2 sim slots? If yes did you try both?

badgr

No it isn't locked, I bought it unlocked and used it on Koodo before upgrading and handing it down to my son

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@badgr Try a network reset and restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do so. The phone may be locked to your previous provider. Contact them and ask them to unlock it for you. Stay safe. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@badgr wrote:

Hi

I bought a Public Mobile sim for my kids phone (an ASUS Zenfone 4), activated and set up payments etc, but when the sim is in the phone, the phone is telling me there isn't a sim installed.

I charged overnight his crappy old Alcatel phone, and popped in the new sim this morning and that worked just fine.

So hoping someone in the know might have an idea why the old Alcatel phone can see the sim and the Zenfone won't.

cheers

@badgr hi is the phone locked to another provider?

Need Help? Let's chat.