cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not recognizing SIM card

darcebunn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi There - I've sent the moderator team a message, but thought I would put this out there for some feedback.

New account with public mobile, using a phone that was originally a Koodo phone, but unlocked and used with Rogers.

Registered public mobile account online, inserted the SIM, and got request for a SIM unlock code.  Did some internet research, and tried two unlock codes I found - did not work.

Put Rogers SIM back in, and it's not recognizing the SIM anymore - it's as if there is no SIM card in the phone.

Put my public mobile SIM back in, and now it does not request an unlock code, the phone also acts like there is no SIM inserted.

Did I inadvertently do something terrible when trying the two unlock codes I found?  Any suggestions?  I'm anxious to get this resolved, and I know that moderators are so busy it can be awhile to get some help from them...

21 REPLIES 21

@beck1Try the SIM in another phone to see if the SIM itself is at fault or the iPhone.

beck1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

iphone 6S, tried resetting and still says NO SIM

@cindyparmiter wrote:

Can someone explain to me  please, what is a dual sim phone or a dual sim card?

A dual sim phone means you can operate two separate phone numbers on one phone at the same time.  If the phone is unlocked they can even be two different providers.  So for people who have a work cell and personal cell these are a great option, they can have both their personal and work numbers with them at all times and only need to carry one device.  The issue that seems to arise is that a lot of the dual sim phones is that sim slot 2  runs on the 2G network and PM does not operate on that network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darcebunn

Hi Cindy - My understanding is a "dual SIM" enabled phone allows you to use 2 SIM cards, thereby 2 different phone accounts on one phone.  I had the same issue with my phone not recognizing the SIM card.  I got advice that dual SIM phones sometimes have an issue with Public Mobile.  I purchased a single SIM phone (Moto e4) and everything works fine.  Just my experience... 

cindyparmiter

Can someone explain to me  please, what is a dual sim phone or a dual sim card?

darcebunn

Thanks for the additional information, my friend.  Fortunately, I was looking to get a new phone anyway, so I'm not upset that I didn't absolutely need to do that to fix the problem.  I'm kind of disillusioned that the answer I received from the moderator seemed to simply go the easy route, instead of delving into why my current phone was not working on public mobile, but c'est la vie! 

@darcebunn wrote:

Final Solution:  In the end, I found out that public mobile SIM's do not work well with dual SIM phones.  So... I bought a single SIM phone (Moto E4), and voila!  Phone worked like a dream... thanks for all your comments, guys... much appreciated!

Sure, they do (in dual slim slot phones). The number of sim card slots cannot possibly make a phoine compatible or not, or even somehow make a phone work any better or worse.  It just happens to be that the Public Mobile sim card didn't work with your dual sim card slot device.  There are also many incompatible single sim card slot phones, but if it didn't work in that, would you then be saying "Public Mobile sim cards don't work (or work well) in single sim slot phones"?   What I will give you is that there aren't that many compatible dual sim card slot phones, simply because most phones sold/used in North America only have 1 slot, and those sold overseas often don't support the types of networks that Public Mobiile uses.

You need to make sure that the phone (whether it has 1 or 2 sim card slots) has at least 850 and/or 1900MHz (Bands 5 and 2) for 3g networks to be able to use voice services.  As for the talk earlier, it often does matter which sim card slot that you use.  The second sim card slot sometimes supports less frequencies and network type technologies, or there can be limit on how many 3g or LTE networks you can connect to at the same time.  But as for using a Public Mobile sim card, whether there are 1 or 2 sim card slots makes zero difference.

@darcebunn wrote:

Final Solution:  In the end, I found out that public mobile SIM's do not work well with dual SIM phones.  So... I bought a single SIM phone (Moto E4), and voila!  Phone worked like a dream... thanks for all your comments, guys... much appreciated!

Ah, I get it.  So did you put the Public Mobile SIM card into the second slot?  This may be one of those dual SIM phones where the second slot is 2G only.  Public Mobile does not support 2G. 

darcebunn

darcebunn

@will13am @Anonymous @Dunkman  Just a quick note - network reset done, and I'm back to getting a request for a SIM unlock code, with the public mobile SIM inserted.  I think I'll just leave it there, until I hear back from the moderator team!  Smiley Frustrated

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am: The OP said he had already sent a PM. You're almost certainly absolutely right. (according to this non-Oracle 🙂 )

I realize that.  I provided a suggestion having to do with sim pin code which some people use but others like me treat as a nuisance.  To each his own.  I digress.  Anyway, if the moderator team has already been contacted and given different information, it does not hurt to follow up with new and potentially more accurate information if available.  It's always best to send all the right information the first time.  Sometimes things don't happen this way.  As long as we don't send the same message many times, we are not willfully creating a backlog.  

darcebunn

@will13am  Thanks for the info! I'm not sure of the exact website where I got the unlock codes, but I was to entered the Huawei model, and it gave me a couple suggestions.

The phone was originally with Koodo, and then when I cancelled that account, the phone sat in a drawer for a year or more.  Then, when I grabbed a basic wireless account with Rogers, I put the SIM in that phone, and there was no need for Rogers (or Koodo) to unlock the phone - I don't believe it was ever locked.

At any rate - I've messaged the moderator team and given the all the relevant info, so hopefully help is on it's somewhat delayed way!  🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am: The OP said he had already sent a PM. You're almost certainly absolutely right. (according to this non-Oracle 🙂 )

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@darcebunn, where did you find these unlock codes?  If your phone was from Koodo and was unlocked for use with Rogers, then there's no need to be concerned the phone being locked to a carrier.  Public Mobile belongs to the same network as Koodo anyway.  It sounds to me like you were using a SIM card pin for security.  The new card has a different pin code and this is the problem.  Entering the wrong pin code too many times requires a PUK code to unlock the SIM card.  If this is correct, you will need moderator team assistance to get the PUK code.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

darcebunn

@Anonymous OMG - I missed that.  Now I'm worried I didn't reset properly because I don't believe I had to hit RESET so many times!!  lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darcebunn wrote:

@Anonymous  OK, OK... no need to make fun of me, guys!   lol

No no. I was goofin' on the freakin' 3 times to press Network Settings Reset from Dunkman's excellent find.

darcebunn

@Anonymous  OK, OK... no need to make fun of me, guys!   lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman: That's funny.

@darcebunn: I think you have to tap Network Settings Reset or something 🙂

@darcebunn

I got this off google:

Reset Network Settings HUAWEI Y6 Pro 2017
  1. In the first step turn on HUAWEI by holding the Power button for a short while.
  2. After that choose Settings and Advanced settings.
  3. Then tap Backup & reset.
  4. After that select Network Settings Reset.
  5. At last choose Network Settings Reset, and confirm this operation by tapping Network Settings Reset one more time.

darcebunn

@Dunkman Thanks!  I have rebooted endlessly, to no available.  The phone is a Huawei Y6.

Unfortunately, I don't have another phone to try the SIM card in.

How do you do a "network reset"? 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@darcebunn

Maybe try re-booting your phone.  Or even do network reset.....

Which model phone?  Sometimes, even though your phone is unlocked, when you put a SIM card in the phone, it "locks" to the carrier.  

Need Help? Let's chat.