cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone drops cellular service and unusable

Teen_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone was working fine. Suddenly, for the whole day, November 8, 2019, my phone is no longer connecting to PM cellular/service.No service - Emergencies calls only.The same PM's SIM card has not been removed from the same phone. I can't use the phone for the whole day. It is really bad especially I must go out for a medical appointment and can't use it for other needs...

My phone battery is above 85%.

I've tried to restart the phone many times. The Public Mobile shows on top screen and cell communication works only for a couple of minutes then the phone is disconnected from cellular service.I've also securely tried inserting the SIM card into its slot a few times but the cellular repeatedly drops after 1-2 minutes!

I am aware that a System Maintenance is coming on November 10, but our phone usage shouldn't be affected.
This issue still persisting...

Does anybody have experienced the similar issue? 
What else can we do besides submitting a trouble ticket?

13 REPLIES 13

Thanks for getting back to us. So many don't bother going back to update us all after everyone took the time to offer their ideas and theories. 

AE_Collector

Teen_C

Hi all, I am uncertain what was happening. Following your suggestions to resolve the "No service" issue, I extracted and reinserted the same SIM card a twice. Check if the phone is being blacklisted. I turned off and on the phone. Recharging the battery, maintain it above 70%. However, the cellular signal goes on and off for almost 3 days making phone unusable. After 3 days of frequent losing cellular signal, the phone get back PM network signal and working normally. In conclusion, it looks like a temporary network problem that has caused loosing signal and phone "No service" issue. Much appreciated to all who has giving help and suggestions.

[Marked Solution as it's the best summary of what to do in this situation ...... Luddite]

@Teen_C  Are you in Ontario?

Telus and Bell experiencing cell service disruption in parts of Ontario.
https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/

Issue is being looked at and there are reports of service returning for some clients.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

To me it looks like signal problem.

Either the phone has a problem, which can be brought about by dropping the phone or by update. Were there any other changes to the phone

If you can borrow another one to test the sim it would rule out the phone. You can walk into Telus or Koodo store and ask for loaner.

Also maybe it's a network outrage or maybe tower closer to you has technical issues.

If you leave the area and still have issues, it's probably not only a tower, but maybe your area is affected. Any other people on Telus/bell you could ask?

@Teen_C wrote:

@LovesToPM

Ok, To troubleshoot by elimination process.

Here is the result after entering my phone's EMEI:

Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.

If you do network scan, which does it show as available?

Teen_C

@LovesToPM

Ok, To troubleshoot by elimination process.

Here is the result after entering my phone's EMEI:

Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.

There's a possbility that your phone was blacklisted in error.
You can check here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

You can find your IMEI by opening your dialer and typing *#06# using the keypad. From the Settings menu, the number is also found in Settings > About Device > Status.

@Teen_C wrote:

Yes, the account is active and in good standing.

No phone available now, but it's possible to try it later.

I've no other SIM card available to try.

I am the original owner of the phone. It can't be blacklisted. Old phone but still in good condition.

Being the original owner of the phone does not mean it couldn't get blacklisted. It's unikely to happen but still possible because these list is based purely on IMEI numbers. I would check the national blacklist anyway.

The best way to rule of it this is a device issue or an account issue would be to put your sim card into another known working and compatible to Public Mobile phone.

The way it works for a few minutes but then intermitently stops working is sometimes the hardest to diagnose the problem for because the service was working at one point.

I once had an issue with Public Mobile in which, i would keep getting disconnected from the network every few seconds. This was a temporary network problem and during this time, my data would not work no matter what I did. This lasted for a few hours. If I told the phone to connect to LTE, it would keep going in and out of service and nothing would work. The solution was to force my phone to 3g/HSPA mode and at that point, at least phone calls and text messaging started working.  After a few hours, the temporary network issue fixed itself.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Teen_C wrote:

I am the original owner of the phone. It can't be blacklisted. Old phone but still in good condition.

Thanks for your ideas.

Take the PM SIM card out and use an eraser to clean the contacts on the SIM card.  Test it after cleaning and report the result.

Teen_C

Thanks for your ideas.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Check your self-serve account. Is your account in good standing?

Can you try your SIM card on another phone?
And another SIM card on your phone?

How long have you had your phone? Are you aware of the phone's history? It can take a few months for a stolen/lost phone to get blacklisted. Is it possible your phone got blacklisted?

p.s. The scheduled system maintenance does not affect cell phone service.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Teen_C 

Test your PM SIM card in another unlocked phone to determine whether the issue is hardware or your PM account issue.

But you can create a moderator support ticket using the ? button at the right hand bottom corner of this page.

Need Help? Let's chat.