Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatible?

mtbmel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will a Galaxy J5 prime work on PM?

11 REPLIES 11

@tehowennathe wrote:

It will definitely work. I previously was using a Galaxy J5 (2016) model. It was the Latin America model that Best buy was selling. Worked well with no issues. Calls and text where clear. You should have no issue with it at all. Hope it works well for you. 

Best Buy Canada would not be selling a Latin American version of a cell phone. This was probably a third party seller, which means that the phone really could have came from anywhere.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It should work. What region is it for? Mine worked because it was made for Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Mexico, Panama and Brazil. 

mtbmel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you to all who responded. I did check the PM phone compatibility but my J5 Prime wasn't listed! Sounds like it'll work though.

tehowennathe

It will definitely work. I previously was using a Galaxy J5 (2016) model. It was the Latin America model that Best buy was selling. Worked well with no issues. Calls and text where clear. You should have no issue with it at all. Hope it works well for you. 

iPhoneUser

Why not try the Public Mobile website for a compatibility check. 

Click here. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Scroll down. And click when you see: To find out if your cellular phone is compatible with our network, click here. 

GreaseMonkey
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What is the sub model of the phone? @mtbmel If you already have the phone, all the  models will work with talk, text amd 3g data. So, in some areas where there is no 3g, and only 4g LTE, you will have no data. Don't Go out and buy it. There are other phones for around the same price that are better suited to PM. If you need some guidance, please tell us how much you are willing to spend, and you will get some recommendations.  

Make sure that the phone is unlocked. If locked contact either the previous carrier or Samsung to get it unlocked. And don't forget to use a referral code to get a one time $10 credit opon activation(If you require one, private message anyone here and ask for theirs). Also, add an autopay  credit card to your self service account for a $2 monthly credit. Welcome to PM . 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@mtbmel, it sure does, but you may want to consider a new phone as a nice reward for yourself one day. The J5 is about four years old. Maybe the Samsung A10? Kidding. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@mtbmel wrote:

@mtbmel Yes, it will work, don't worry. My Galaxy J1 works perfectly with PM as wellSmiley Happy

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

J5 Prime bands reported by https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j5_prime-8342.php

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300)

PM's requirements:

• 4G LTE/LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz; 2100 MHz downlink with 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

• HSPA (3G): 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

So, yes it should be fine on the 3G network, though LTE may be hit and miss as band 4 is missing.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mtbmel wrote:

@mtbmel 

It absolutely will work 😀Screenshot_20200301_201243.jpg

Here is the link you can also check as well https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.