cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls that I did not make

juanptrujillo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am receiving phone calls and texts from people who say that they received a phone call from my number. I did not make those phone calls. This has happened several times now.

My plan is prapaid and as far as I can see those phone calls have not been charged to my account.

What's going on?

7 REPLIES 7

We also have this to look forward to. Coming soon...

CRTC orders telecoms to block customers’ incoming nuisance calls by December 2019

The CRTC is cracking down on pesky fake phone number calls

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/19/crtc-telecoms-block-customer-spam-calls-by-dec-2019/

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2018/12/crtc-steps-up-fight-agains...

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@juanptrujillo wrote:

Hello,

I am receiving phone calls and texts from people who say that they received a phone call from my number. I did not make those phone calls. This has happened several times now.

My plan is prapaid and as far as I can see those phone calls have not been charged to my account.

What's going on?

Your number was spuffyed by a scammer. It is easy to do with a VoIP acccount. You can enter any number you like to show who is calling. I have actually had my number call me once!!

Often scammers pick a number to use that is local to a specific area thinking the call will more than likely answered.  

There is nothing you can do about it unless CTRC steps it up.  If too many calls back to you.....change your number or set phone to not answer unless number is in your contacts list. 

Always be leery when you get a call from a number that is not in your contacts. 

PS. Your unlimited inbound calls  are free unless you have the $10 or data only plan. Don’t worry. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@juanptrujillo wrote:

Hello,

What's going on?

Can't do anything. Someone is pretending to be your number. Change number or tell those people it wasn't you.

@juanptrujillo  This is a very common problem. Usually it will stop after a month or two. I currently have identity thieves spoofing my own number trying to trick my bank and credit card companies into thinking they are me. If it really bothers you hange your number. You can do this once every 30 days in your account.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Probably just the display

I believe they can fake the numbers

You may want to consider changing your number if you're not attached to it

Google your number and see if anything shows up

But no number is immune really

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@juanptrujillo wrote:

Hello,

What's going on?

This seems to be a common problem.

You number is being spoofed.

To minimize it, do not share your phone number with strangers.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@juanptrujillo 

I had similar problems.  It just stopped after awhile.  

Some telephone scammers use other people's phone number as the display number when they call others.  Usually a local number is displayed, so it is more likely that the receiver will pick up the phone.  

Need Help? Let's chat.