cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone bill

ron3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I recently got some text incoming and outgoing from a # that shows on my bill but I never received any text or sent any text to that # would anyone know how it could happen 

thx

5 REPLIES 5

ilikepm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

1.Would have been more helpful if you would have included details about your phone, Android/iOS version it is on etc. so as not leave us to speculate on possible causes of the issue you are having with you phone...

2. Most PM plans come with unlimited texting and as you also implied that you were not charged for the texts, so you don't need to worry anyway. 

@NezgarChinese phones usually dont' use SMS but wifi to phone home. Most of them have their own skins and hidden APIs even if they use AOSP (which is allowed). Most common business model is to sell phone under cost using VC money to gain market share, then charge for ad services etc with not way to opt out, once they are established.

But honestly it is not just Chinese phones that do that.. Companies that use Chinese ODMs eg Blu do it too, but they get a slap on the wrist when caught.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I've read a couple threads recently about some Chinese model phones that send an SMS to the manufacturer as part of the first-time setup. Also about a Google Pixel 5 sending an SMS every startup, Note 9 running Android Pie, etc)

The challenge would be to figure out which app is sending them and remove it's send SMS permissions....

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

This is common on iPhones. Automatic texts are sent to activate Apple services. Unless you are on the limite text plan, you don't need to worry. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ron3 wrote:

Hi I recently got some text incoming and outgoing from a # that shows on my bill but I never received any text or sent any text to that # would anyone know how it could happen 

thx

Usually that's your phone doing some background back and forth with its server. It only really matters on the $10 plan for those are still on it. I haven't seen this kind of comment for a while. Maybe that was partly why they dropped the $10 plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.