cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Works with Telus but not PM??

munro-22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Just joined PM with the newly released ASUS Zenfone 6.  I read before I joined that PM uses the same towers as Telus (since it's owned by telus). I have recently switched to PM from Telus (where my phone worked perfectly with 4G networks) but now with my new public mobile SIM, I can't get data to work at all. Not even 3G. I can't add a custom APN either. Any help would be appreciated since I need mobile data and the ability to receive photos for my job.

21 REPLIES 21

Mattmckay

Try resetting your network settings, power down phone, remove SIM card, wait 5 minutes put in card back in and power phone back on

@munro-22 wrote:

@geopublic Also tried searching for the invisible add button with no luck 😞

@munro-22  Does your phone support two sims? Maybe try inserting the old Telus sim in one slot and the PM sim in the other.

According to Asus you should be able to add an APN.

https://www.asus.com/me-en/support/FAQ/1038397/

munro-22

@geopublic Also tried searching for the invisible add button with no luck 😞

munro-22

@geopublic Running Android 9

@munro-22 wrote:

My phone is running Android 9. However I suppose I can try the Freedom SIM workaround? 

Never heard of this problem in Android 9 but anything possible.  Might be drastic, but maybe back everything up and try factory reset?  That probably won't work but some setting could get reset after that.

@geopublic wrote:

@munro-22 wrote:

My phone is running Android 9. However I suppose I can try the Freedom SIM workaround? 

@munro-22  If you are running 9 then you should be able to add an APN. On some Asus the + to add an APN just left of the three dots blends in with the background. Try tapping just left of the three dots on the APN screen and see if it allows you to add the APN.

@munro-22 

@munro-22 wrote:

This post describes another possible way to edit APNs on Android 9 on a Zenfone: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Zenfone-5Q/m-p/411632/highlight/true#...

(However, to whom it may apply, please be aware that I have not found any other person, on here or elsewhere, who has been able to confirm that this is an actually workable way to deal with the inability to change/add APNs on Android 8.1.)

Edited for clarity

@munro-22 wrote:

@munro-22  If you are running 9 then you should be able to add an APN. On some Asus the + to add an APN just left of the three dots blends in with the background. Try tapping just left of the three dots on the APN screen and see if it allows you to add the APN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@munro-22 

If this phone is on 8.1 I don't know if it would work for 9 but there is also a non-google-play app downloadable out in the wild that lets you add APN's. You need to temporarily give it some permissions to run. So you would need to be comfortable with that.

Also a procedure to set it from like a command line (for 8.1...not sure about 9).

This problem is not isolated to Public Mobile.

@munro-22 wrote:

Tried with no luck. Just defaults back to Telus and Koodo APN's.

Please use the quote function, or at least tag the person you are replying to, so that we know what you have tried? And can modify our suggestions accordingly?

@munro-22  Are you running Android 8.1?

munro-22

munro-22

Tried with no luck. Just defaults back to Telus and Koodo APN's.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@munro-22 wrote:

Tried that and still no luck. I go in to add a new APN and it just has the preset Telus & Koodo APN's in there and that's it. When I try to go up in the corner to the 3 little dots, I only have a option to "Reset to Default". There is no "Add" option. 

This is software limitation on some Android 8.1 phones. Solution: borrow a Freedom Mobile sim from a friend and put in your phone. Add Public Mobile APN settings and the put Public sim back in.

There have been reports that a RoamMobility SIM also works.

The relevant post https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/289974/h... in the big Android 8.1 APN thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@munro-22  One more worth trying remove the sim card restart the phone go into the APN settings and pick reset to default. Restart the phone one more time and try adding the PM APN.

@munro-22I think you will probably get a quicker answer if you go to an Asus support forum Zentalk that specializes in ZenUI and see how you can add an APN easily via the GUI.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@munro-22 wrote:

Hello,

Just joined PM with the newly released ASUS Zenfone 6.  I read before I joined that PM uses the same towers as Telus (since it's owned by telus). I have recently switched to PM from Telus (where my phone worked perfectly with 4G networks) but now with my new public mobile SIM, I can't get data to work at all. Not even 3G. I can't add a custom APN either. Any help would be appreciated since I need mobile data and the ability to receive photos for my job.

@munro-22 In order for data to work you need to have the correct APN settings. The problem with some phones is that the APN does not automatically get created and must be entered manually. If your phone is running Android 8.1 adding an APN is disabled. A workaround is to use a sim card that will allow you to add an APN entry. Sims that are known to work are Freedom Mobile, Roam.com, Fitz snd maybe Speakout.

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

@munro-22 wrote:

Tried that and still no luck. I go in to add a new APN and it just has the preset Telus & Koodo APN's in there and that's it. When I try to go up in the corner to the 3 little dots, I only have a option to "Reset to Default". There is no "Add" option. 

This is software limitation on some Android 8.1 phones. Solution: borrow a Freedom Mobile sim from a friend and put in your phone. Add Public Mobile APN settings and the put Public sim back in.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Try network reset to delete the old APNs.  After reboot, let see what APN uis created by PM SIM card.

munro-22

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@munro-22 wrote:

Hello,

Enable data and restart your phone with PM SIM card installed.

After reboot, your APN may be set up correct.

Need Help? Let's chat.