Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Phone Service not working

Thanks for all the replies guys.  

It is appreciated.

So I should disable my SIM then?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman you said sim card (last 4 digits) don't match?

If that's the case immediately start changing your passwords, check your banking institutions to ensure no charges have been made, change all those passwords and contact the moderators by clicking the question make bottom right to open a ticket via the chat bot.

You have been simjacked. Someone stole your information. It's very important that you get on this right away!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman that might be telling you that you have a SIM issue.  Any smart phone with no SIM can be used for 911 Emergency Services. 

Highlighted

i thought something was up. 

my email kept asking me to log in, as if it detected a problem.

I doubt my bank would be a problem.

Why should i be worried about my banking info?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman once you get all that sorted out you will need to purchase a new sim card. You can get one at Walmart.

That is if they don't port your number out.

Once you have a new sim card. Log into your account and click change sim card. Green arrow on picture below. Then you will back in business cell phone wise.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman wrote:

i thought something was up. 

my email kept asking me to log in, as if it detected a problem.

I doubt my bank would be a problem.

Why should i be worried about my banking info?

Do you use your phone for banking alerts, second factor, or?  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman your bank could be compromised.

They now have your phone number so if that is your bank's two step authentication then they can send a new code to themselves to gain access. You also said you have issues with email now. Sounds like they may have used your number of it is attached to your email to gain access to your account to change the password. Now that they have access to your email anything attached to that email they can gain access to by requesting forgot password.

Sorry that you're a victim of this but the faster you get a handle on changing your passwords and removing your number for two step authentication (for now) the better for you at the end.

Highlighted

I've got access to my email and changed the password.

My bank is still ok.

Uber sent me a warning that no one should be using my account but me about two weeks or so ago.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman 

One of the things you can do is set up your spouse's number or a good friend as your two step and have them message it to you when you send them an immediate safe word.

I do this for anything that has two step and only a phone option. 

I'll prompt the 2FA then I'll send one of 5 words in a sentence to the person I have designated as my 2FA friend. 

Something like I love eating apples in Seattle. 

And the safe word is Seattle they then know to text me the code. 

I know this seems involved but will save headaches down the road. 

Second safety measure is to use LastPass and use HUGE passwords for everything. Some of my passwords are 52 characters lol. 

Cheers and sorry to hear this happened to you. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Be sure to keep an eye on things.m for the next little while. They did have access to your stuff for awhile..

For now log into your account and use the lost/stolen feature to block the sim card that is on your account and also get in touch with the moderators.

I believe you will need a new sim card..but maybe moderators can switch the sim back to the original one you have in your phone. Hopefully they can do that.

Need Help? Let's chat.