cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Service not working

boogeyman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What a great cell service.

Phone stops working, and no one is around to fix it.

Is there something special that needs to be done when my phone says 'emergency calls only'?

It's been working fine for months. Never a problem.

Now I can't use it at all and theres no way to get a hold of anyone to fix this?

What hoops do I need to jump through to get my phone service working again?

24 REPLIES 24

boogeyman

Just bought a new SIM card for PM.

Life is good.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

@boogeyman 

It never hurts to have an extra sim card around. Switching the sim card on the fraudsters puts the power of your phone back in your hands. This way you're not waiting for the moderators, the mailman or motoring all around town looking for one. Canadian Cell Supplies ships in 5 business days and public mobile sim cards are currently selling for $1.99 each

boogeyman

I hope they can!

I just cancelled the one I ordered from Amazon based on your comment.

If they can switch it back great! If not, I'll have to re-order the SIM.

Thanks again!

boogeyman

Just to make everyone aware, it seems that this 'simjacking' is happening to mostly those with cryptocurrency accounts... like Coinbase.

I can't log into my Coinbase account anymore, but sent message to have it disabled.

This is the reason these types of attacks are on the rise...

Be sure to keep an eye on things.m for the next little while. They did have access to your stuff for awhile..

For now log into your account and use the lost/stolen feature to block the sim card that is on your account and also get in touch with the moderators.

I believe you will need a new sim card..but maybe moderators can switch the sim back to the original one you have in your phone. Hopefully they can do that.

@boogeyman 

One of the things you can do is set up your spouse's number or a good friend as your two step and have them message it to you when you send them an immediate safe word.

I do this for anything that has two step and only a phone option. 

I'll prompt the 2FA then I'll send one of 5 words in a sentence to the person I have designated as my 2FA friend. 

Something like I love eating apples in Seattle. 

And the safe word is Seattle they then know to text me the code. 

I know this seems involved but will save headaches down the road. 

Second safety measure is to use LastPass and use HUGE passwords for everything. Some of my passwords are 52 characters lol. 

Cheers and sorry to hear this happened to you. 

boogeyman

I've got access to my email and changed the password.

My bank is still ok.

Uber sent me a warning that no one should be using my account but me about two weeks or so ago.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman your bank could be compromised.

They now have your phone number so if that is your bank's two step authentication then they can send a new code to themselves to gain access. You also said you have issues with email now. Sounds like they may have used your number of it is attached to your email to gain access to your account to change the password. Now that they have access to your email anything attached to that email they can gain access to by requesting forgot password.

Sorry that you're a victim of this but the faster you get a handle on changing your passwords and removing your number for two step authentication (for now) the better for you at the end.

@boogeyman wrote:

i thought something was up. 

my email kept asking me to log in, as if it detected a problem.

I doubt my bank would be a problem.

Why should i be worried about my banking info?

Do you use your phone for banking alerts, second factor, or?  

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman once you get all that sorted out you will need to purchase a new sim card. You can get one at Walmart.

That is if they don't port your number out.

Once you have a new sim card. Log into your account and click change sim card. Green arrow on picture below. Then you will back in business cell phone wise.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

boogeyman

i thought something was up. 

my email kept asking me to log in, as if it detected a problem.

I doubt my bank would be a problem.

Why should i be worried about my banking info?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman that might be telling you that you have a SIM issue.  Any smart phone with no SIM can be used for 911 Emergency Services. 

@boogeyman you said sim card (last 4 digits) don't match?

If that's the case immediately start changing your passwords, check your banking institutions to ensure no charges have been made, change all those passwords and contact the moderators by clicking the question make bottom right to open a ticket via the chat bot.

You have been simjacked. Someone stole your information. It's very important that you get on this right away!

boogeyman

Thanks for all the replies guys.  

It is appreciated.

So I should disable my SIM then?

boogeyman

The phone was purchased brand new from Rogers.

Nothing works in any other phone. Same problem.

SIM number does not match at all.

If i try to put in the SIM I get:

Sorry, the SIM card number is invalid or already in use. Please try again or order a new SIM card at publicmobile.ca.

@boogeyman ,

Try switching the SIM cards with your partner's phone and see if either will work. Insert the SIMs and reboot each phone just to ensure proper connection.

If your SIM still does not work in your partner's phone, check the last 4 digits of your SIM are the same as earlier posts. If they are the same, it could be a fault SIM card, but I would submit a ticket to the PM Moderator Team to check your account as @JoyLuck posted.

@boogeyman  two things.

1- is the phone your using purchased second hand? Like from Kijiji? The seller may have reported it stolen and now it's blacklisted.

Put your sim card in your girlfriend's phone. Does anything work?

2- Check if you're a victim of simjacking. Log into your account and click change sim card. It will show you the last 4 digits of the sim card. Now take the sim card out of your phone and see if they match.

Green Arrow on picture below.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

If they don't match. You should immediately start changing any passwords that are attached to the phone and get ahold of your banking institutions that may be attached to your phone due to two factor authentication.

boogeyman

Thanks for the reply, but my partner lives with me and her phone works fine as usual.

If there were a service outage in my area, hers wouldn't work either.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Contact moderator by clicking the "?" in the bubble at bottom right of this screen.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

If the suggestions above do not work then contact a moderator.

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

You could also check if there are any outages in your area:

http://outagereport.ca/publicmobile

beat me to it @gpixel  😛

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@boogeyman check to see if there is a service outage in the area

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus

login to your self serve, under "my profile" click on "change sim". make sure the last 4 digits of the registered sim match the last 4 digits on your sim card.

change pass,sim,number~2.jpeg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @boogeyman ,

Sorry to hear this.

What does your self serve account status say?

Try one or more of the below:

*rebooting your phone

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

Need Help? Let's chat.