cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number Transfer

Carrigan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

@CS_Agent I am new to Public Mobile and when I signed up for my account on Friday, I attempted to transfer my phone number from Bell Mobility over to Public Mobile. I am in the process of unlocking my phone so that I can insert my new SIM. I just want confirmation if my phone number is attached to my account, otherwise, how do I get a new phone number?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

As you already know,  your Bell Mobility services ceasing to work was an indication that your phone number was transfered over to Public Mobile.  The problem with not having your phone unlocked has to do with the fact that you didn't have any way to test if the Public Mobile service was working properly.  Also, if Bell Mobility really took their time to unlock your phone or to provide you with an unlock code, you could have ending up going a few days without a working cell phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Carrigan that's great news!

In retrospect, I probably would have gotten my phone unlocked first before porting out my number, but I'm glad it all worked out for you.  🙂  Welcome to Public Mobile!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pakmode2

Welcome to PM @Carrigan

Carrigan

Thanks for the awesome message! I just got the phone back up and running so it seems like everything is working! This is my lack of tech knowledge for you!

Thanks, Will for all your help 🙂

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Carrigan,

If all went well in the system, chances are, your Public Mobile SIM is ready for use, with your phone number ported over, since you've told us that you no longer have any service on your Bell SIM card. 

When you get your phone unlocked, give it a try and report back to us if you encounter any calling/texting/data issues, if there are any (which will require Moderator intervention), otherwise, you should be all set and good to go.

Welcome aboard!

Carrigan

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know Will

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Carrigan, your number won't be lost even if there is an issue with porting.  Numbers are not put into the reuse pool for some time and so it can be rescued from the system manually in the event of a failed port. 

With respect to getting a new temporary number, that can be done during the activation process by requesting a new number.  If a number port is requested at the time of activation, then a temporary number will not be issued.  Generally, it is recommended that a temporary number be sought during activation and then porting is done as a separate step upon confirming successful activation.  Trying to get too much done in a single step can lead to a higher chance of failure.

At this point, it seems like it is not possible to check what is happening until the phone is unlocked.  Would it be possible to test the service using a spare phone that is already unlocked?

Carrigan

Hey Shawn!

Thanks for the quick response. My phone is not in service and I only have access to wifi at this point. I haven't been able to make a phone call since 3 pm yesterday. They told me my phone would be unlocked today! Does that mean someone has taken my phone number?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Carrigan wrote:

Hello,

@CS_Agent I am new to Public Mobile and when I signed up for my account on Friday, I attempted to transfer my phone number from Bell Mobility over to Public Mobile. I am in the process of unlocking my phone so that I can insert my new SIM. I just want confirmation if my phone number is attached to my account, otherwise, how do I get a new phone number?

Thanks

Is your Bell SIM still working?  If it is a port was not completed with that number.  If your Bell sim no longer works it means your number should now be ported to PM.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.