cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People tell me they can't hear me or my voice comes and go?

jojo987
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What's wrong? I just had 2 phone calls while at home. Usually I call fine from home. I'm using my cell coverage to call not WI-FI. Even using 3rd party apps such as whatsapp, sometimes it starts cutting off. I"m on the $35 plan.

I live mid city, not in the woods. Also not many trees around.

I'm seeing 3 bars so reception should be good.

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jojo987 - if you are still reading here, which carrier did you switch to?

@jojo987 

Sorry to see you go....but you can do anything if you have a poor signal. One of the main reasons I l left freedom...very spotty service at home right smack in the middle of vancouver. Can you hear me now?

jojo987

@cavemantoronto @Sarlye  @Anonymous  @darlicious @will13am  @totalUser  @jaherne  @computergeek541 

Just to update everyone that it's been 2 months now and the issue is still going.. i concluded it's a coverage issue. As said again, i live in a busy city and both at home and work people can barely hear me inside the building so i have to go outside. I had an emergency so had to call 911 and they couldn't hear me!! This is when I decided just to switch to a different carrier. I love PM but I hope they can improve their services. Thanks everyone.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@jojo987 wrote:

What's wrong? I just had 2 phone calls while at home. Usually I call fine from home. I'm using my cell coverage to call not WI-FI. Even using 3rd party apps such as whatsapp, sometimes it starts cutting off. I"m on the $35 plan.

I live mid city, not in the woods. Also not many trees around.

I'm seeing 3 bars so reception should be good.

So you have issues with normal calls and calls using apps? No setting for LTE or 3g or any of APN will fix it. LTE or 3g setting won't do anything because normal calls auto switch to 3g.  It isn't an intenet issue because you say it also happened with normal phone calls. Your mic could be bad or it could be a network problem.

@jojo987  Follow these instructions to turn LTE off

• Open the Settings app on iPhone and choose “Cellular” at the top of the list
  • Tap “Cellular Data Options” (in newest versions of iOS, older do not have the sub menu)
  • Tap on “Enable LTE” and choose “OFF” (or alternatively, you can set ‘Data Only’ to stabilize some voice calls, or “Voice & Data” as the default)*
  • Wait a moment for the iPhone cellular connection to cycle on and off again and 3G / 4G should now be on as default with LTE off, as visible in the status bar of the iPhone       Hopefully this will help with the voice calling issues.

jojo987

@darlicious

I use Iphone XR and there's only LTE mode to enable so i'll try to disable it and let you know later.. Thank you and everyone for your feedback so far.

@jojo987  I don't think buying a new SIM is going to make any difference. Not sure if you read the thread ongoing with yours but here's a comment on the solution to reception issues:                         My phone(an old Samsung S3) has 4 Network modes. It was set, by default, on "LTE/WCDMA/GSM", so I switched it to "WCDMA/GSM", which bumped up the strength. There's also "WCDMA only", and "GSM only", so out of curiosity, I clicked on "GSM only", and WHAT a difference - I usually get 1 bar at home, and a signal strength of about -115, and when I dropped it down to "GSM only", I got 3 or 4 bars, and a strength of about -85!!!

A new phone on old technology isn't always a good thing. Check to see if you can dumb down your phone just a little.

jojo987

I will buy a new sim card next few days and will update you guys.

jojo987

Just remembered that i was also at work downtown the other day and i received a phone-call and the person couldn't hear me so i had to go outside the building and it was fine then.

jojo987

Also just to add is that it's night time now and the issue is the same for those who noted it could be congestion issues.

@jojo987 wrote:

I also tried restarting my phone and changing to plane mode. I checked my APN settings and look good following guide for my model here:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/apple-iphone-xr

APN settings aren't going to have any affect on voice quality, whether it's a regular voice network call or if it's an internet call.

jojo987

I also tried restarting my phone and changing to plane mode. I checked my APN settings and look good following guide for my model here:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/apple-iphone-xr

jojo987

@jaherne i have new iphone. new model and LTE is enabled. As you guys said, i tried switching the sim card to my older android phone and the same thing is happening. People tell me my voice come and go and sometimes sounds like i'm a tunnel then goes back to normal. 

jaherne

As with my previous comment, this suggests that your carrier does not support Voice Over LTE or your phone does not (if its a new phone it should or needs to be turned on). See link to article that explains Voice Over LTE (and the switching from LTE to 3G).

https://www.pcworld.com/article/259471/voice_over_lte_explained_better_voice_quality_coming_soon_to_...

jaherne

In order to make a phone call over a 4G networl your carrier and device must support a form of Voice-over-LTE since the architecture of a 4G network is different than a 3G network (packet switched vs circuit switched). It seems that your mobile cannot make calls via a 4G network so it has to switch down to 3G in order to place a call. If you turn off data you will not see this switch (obviously) but I wonder if it will improve the call quality as you will not be switching LTE to 3G?

See this Wikipedia article for more information Voice-over-LTE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE

jojo987

someone called me using whatsapp and i answered through my phone not whatsapp and the call was good with no problems but when i switched right away to my phone.. they couldn't hear me clearly.

jojo987

@jaherne I don't use wifi to call. also i noticed that everytime i call it switches from LTE to 3G

jaherne

If you are not calling through WiFi then 3G or 4G should not matter. As others have noted, try switching in and out of airplane mode but first try restarting the phone.

jojo987

LTE enabled so I believe it's 4G

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @jojo987 

Is it possible that microphone went or is losing contact someplace?

Can you try in another phone?

Can you try with headsets wiered or Bluetooth?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jojo987 , 3G or 4G connection?  There could be network congestion, local tower outage, many little things.  

@jojo987  Sometimes its just a connectivity issue. Rebooting your phone or using airplane mode will re-establish the connection. A basic troubleshooting method. Unless it continues on a regular basis it's just something that happens from time to time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jojo987  Any chance you can try your Public Mobile SIM in another phone.  If it works OK in another phone, then you would know that it is a phone problem and not a Public Mobile issue.

Sarlye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That happens to me once in a while, and I notice that if my phone had an update, seems to trigger something..

Anyhow, I just restart my phone and all is fine again. My other phone I used for work is fine as I don't update until night time and it was fine.

Give that a try.

Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.