cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment in crypto?

cantfindworse
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

First time posting here! I had the wonderful idea of paying for my phone bill in bitcoin or ethereum and was wondering if public mobile ever has plans to make this an option?

It may be too complicated to code into the site at this moment but in the near future perhaps?

Any responses appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20

HI @losterfilster   no one is looking for crypto info here.  

losterfilster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe that a lot of people are interested in finding out the finest ways to sell cryptocurrencies and how those things impact the market. Because they can inform me about a lot of fascinating cryptocurrency-related events, https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bitmedia.io is the service I prefer. You'll find it fascinating, in my opinion.

nickadams

I know, I got that.

That was the closest option I could find if any so I added it to the discussion. I see the response was it is not an option. That's fine.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@nickadams 

The user @Anonymous is referring to was able to purchase pm voucher with cryptocurrency but it cost them more to buy it crypto than cash or credit so it was more of an experiment that if cash poor and crypto rich you can pay for your pm services with cryptocurrency its just not financially advantageous to do so.....

Anyhow if you search "Voucher Catalogue" it's at the end of that thread.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nickadams : Somebody not long ago posted about being able to buy a voucher through a crypto. Without clicking on your link, no, this place will not take payments that way. They don't even take proper internet banking type payments.

People only ever buy crypto with the intent of selling it for more than they paid.

Public Mobile is in the business of selling phone service. Not in the business of collecting, investing, or selling cryptocurrencies.

nickadams

ok

HI @nickadams   nice to be creative.  But not a single mobile carrier taking this as form of payment at the moment.

No @nickadams  - won't work.

Probably best not to promote these items - they may get edited out anyway by the Oracles.

nickadams

would this work ?

recognizes provider as 'telus'

https://bitkoyn.com/

andi2021

Thanks

No thanks,  @Nasmerk 

Nasmerk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think this payment method will be convenient for many in the future.

Recently, I have been constantly investing part of my income in cryptocurrencies. I think this is a promising direction, especially since the price of cryptocurrencies is constantly growing. It is profitable to buy and sell cryptocurrency through Bikkex exchange.

Cryptocurrency has a grey legal status in Canada - it's tolerated, mostly, but it's also not really acknowledged by governmental or corporate organizations.

Although Telus does have Telus International, which embraces "disruptive" technologies, AI, crypto, etc. If crypto is ever given any sort of recognition and legitimacy by one of the Big Three then it'll likely be Telus.

But if that does ever happen then it'll likely never be at Public Mobile because the first and foremost thing every operator wants is a way to confirm the link between the person and the phone - and the last thing they want is to support a purely online and purely anonymous system for handing out phone service to unidentifiable burners.

Not all crypto-owning and crypto-paying people are criminals. Many are legit. And more payment options are always good.

But criminals will always prefer to pay crypto if it's an option. So crypto payment options will unavoidably attract and invite crime. (And the legal or technical barriers seem to prevent Public Mobile from properly securing an account vs SIMjacking sorts of crimes, imagine how impotent they'd be vs tech-savvy cryptojacking/cryptohacking sorts of criminals.)

https://www.telusinternational.com/articles/cryptocurrency-customer-service-partner/

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I hope not. I personally find that crypto-currency is a scam and also used by the criminal underground/terrorists to fund their activities. Truth be told, I am hoping the Canadian government, and other western countries ban them sooner rather than later.

Yes, TELUS has KOODO as it's 2nd tier, and Public Mobile as it's 3rd tier.

Like Bell has Virgin and Lucky.

And Rogers has Fido and Chatr.

@cantfindworse wrote:

Hello, 

First time posting here! I had the wonderful idea of paying for my phone bill in bitcoin or ethereum and was wondering if public mobile ever has plans to make this an option?

It may be too complicated to code into the site at this moment but in the near future perhaps?

Any responses appreciated.

Public Mobile doesn't even accept Paypal (except for the online webstore), so while I can't predict the future, I can't see Public Mobile considering such options.

@cantfindworse wrote:

is public mobile owned by telus?

Yes, and Telus owns Koodo too.

cantfindworse

is public mobile owned by telus?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@cantfindworse 

Public mobile is part of Telus group of companies.  Low cost, no frills type of company.  I doubt it that PM will be dealing with bitcoin anytime soon.  

Need Help? Let's chat.