cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Voucher Question

JayJitsBJJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in the rpocess of assisting a relative from Newfoundland switch to PM.  She lives in Newfoundland and we are ordering her a SIM Card. She doesn't have a credit card and PM uses payment vouchers. Ther is no Londong Drugs, no WOW, no K-Mobile, no The Mobile Shop in her town.  The local Wal-Mart doesn't sell PM Sim cards or PM Payment Vouchers. Her bank card is not VISA Debit Card.

What are her options? She can purchase prepaid debit/purchase cards would that work? They wouldn't be PM specfic though.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JayJitsBJJ 

Does the relative never go to any larger centre? Do some major shopping or medical matters?

mimmo is right. I use the Vanilla (not MyVanilla - same company) branded Visa Gift cards. I've also used cards from Home Depot. Cards from CanadaPost are the same idea as reported by RobertQc. Shop around for the startup fee...they range. I think they can be had for up to $500. Yes, they're one time use. Others have mentioned reloadable ones from real banks. The MyVanilla one was a reloadable one but you have sign up and do all that. The simple one stays anonymous which is what I was wanting.

Here's my catch though...I use them solely to satisfy getting the $2 reward. I haven't used them for recurring payments. I have a balance in my Available Funds in that the card never gets hit. I suppose I could try a manual payment some time.

I would be interested to know anyone's experience using these cards for the recurring payment.

I'm with mimmo...recharge.com. Or stock up on a few when at a place you can buy vouchers. You'll save a few pennies (literally) when buying from recharge.com.

JayJitsBJJ

I appreciate all the info! She belongs to a small local credit union which is discontinuing their credit cards (MasterCard) and a small town in Newfoundland.  It's kinda crazy to say this but there's fewer options, fewer places that sell gift cards and even fewer that do payment vouchers.

She is going to her credit union to discuss credit card options. They have to be getting a new option coming into service if their are no longer having their credit cards (MasterCard). Maybe they are switching to VISA, who knows. But it effects people and they will lose business if their members dont have options for credit card payments.  She has a credit card with them currently but they gave her and others a letter saying its being discontinued by months end. It's nuts!  She also pays her monthly gym membership with her credit card so its all messed up.

I take for granted being in Ontario!

@JayJitsBJJ, there is a prepaid card which Public Mobile has partnered with for a previous promotion.  KOHO.  It is reloadable, and acts like a regular credit card, without the worry of carrying a balance, as it's just cash on a card.

I'm using one similar from Scotiabank, specifically the Scene Prepaid Reloadable Visa.

In both cases, these cards need information from your bank account to verify your identity.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Not sure how prepaid visa gift cards work, but yeah I think if balance is lower than it can't be used... Honestly vouchers are probably the best option.  

JayJitsBJJ

She is planning on getting the $40 for 5gigs of data.

I don't know anything about Visa gift cards, but would she simply buy one every month and then have to enter the info every month into her account for payment? Every month would have to be a new card so she would have to enter the info each month. Or could she get a Visa card that has $100 on it and she can pay for 2 months off of it? If thats the case what abvout the remainder off that card and thenhaving to enter a new one in? I am confusing myself. (sorry everyone)

mimmo

@Lieux wrote:

@JayJitsBJJ wrote:

I am in the rpocess of assisting a relative from Newfoundland switch to PM.  She lives in Newfoundland and we are ordering her a SIM Card. She doesn't have a credit card and PM uses payment vouchers. Ther is no Londong Drugs, no WOW, no K-Mobile, no The Mobile Shop in her town.  The local Wal-Mart doesn't sell PM Sim cards or PM Payment Vouchers. Her bank card is not VISA Debit Card.

What are her options? She can purchase prepaid debit/purchase cards would that work? They wouldn't be PM specfic though.

The better would be to call first the place with gift cards near her place.

If you do call, ask first for bell or fido prepaid, then ask them to look for public.  If you ask directly for public chances are people say no because they have not heard of public.  711 also sells vouchers. 

mimmo

Many gas stations, supermarkets, sell vouchers. if they sell gift cards, or if they sell airtime minutes for other companies they likley sell pm vouchers.

Recharge.com could also be an option, they take PayPal, i think PayPal can be linked to a bank account, but don't remember (I could be wrong).  I have a couple accounts where I have my cc info on file and people will give me the money, not sure that is an option in your case....but it allows autopay discount. 

Also the prepaid Visa gift cards can work depending on the plan you are getting they can be an option. I know @Anonymous uses them, he could give you some thoughts. 

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@JayJitsBJJ wrote:

The better would be to call first the place with gift cards near her place.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@JayJitsBJJ wrote:

Payment vouchers are avaialble anywhere where gift cards are sold. Places like Canadian Tire, Shoppers etc. 

But CC is the best/easiest option in my opinion because you get $2.00 off every 30 days if you setup autopay. (set it and forget it!!).

Need Help? Let's chat.