cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROMO PLAN: Getting the most out of it

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi,

If you're one of the people looking at the new promo plan and wishing it included US/Canada calling...  there are two simple ways to get that.

Google Hangouts Option 

1. Sign up for the promo plan
  2. Install the Google Hangouts dialer
    1. Google Hangouts allows you to call anywhere in Canada and the US for free
  3. Allow the Hangouts Dialer to use your cell # as caller ID
    1. You need to verify your number with Google to do that
  4. Now you have a couple of options:
    1. Use the Hangouts dialer whenever you want to call outside your home province.  These calls will use your data connection.
      1. Hangouts dialer uses about 1MB of data per minute of each call
    2. --OR-- You can always use the hangouts dialer for all calls.  Keep in mind these calls will use data, but the usage is minimal, and now you have 4GB per month.  Nothing to worry about!
        1. Hangouts dialer uses about 1MB of data per minute of each call
  5. Buy the 400 minute long distance add-on.  This will cover you when you are travelling out of province and want to be able to receive calls as normal.  Keep in mind that for incoming calls, minutes will be deducted from your long distance add-on.
  6. Last thing: when you place a call using the Hangouts dialer, the person you are calling will see your cell # as your caller ID.  If they call you back, the call will ring through on your cellphone as normal.

Fongo Option

1. With this option, you are essentially getting and using a new cell # for voice calls.  You should still use your PM # for texts and MMS.
  2. Install the Fongo app
    1. All Fongo calls require a data or wifi connection
      1. This also means you can't use a battery saving app that enables/disables your data/wifi connections.  Oneof your data/wifi connections must always be ON for the Fongo solution to work 
    2. You will get a free phone Canada phone number
      1. You get to pick your area code
    3. Fongo allows free calls to most places in Canada
      1. And very low International rates.  Starting at 2 cents a minute to the US, for example.
    4. Incoming calls from anywhere are free
  3. Forward your PM # to your new Fongo #
  4. Tell your friends and contacts to add your Fongo # to their contact information about you
    1. Ask them to always call you on your Fongo #
  5. Always use the Fongo app to make all of your calls
    1. If you are on WiFi, your cost for the call will be (regardless of where you are in the world):
      1. Nothing if it is to a number in Canada
      2. Whatever Fongo charges per minute to call whatever country you are calling
    2. If you are on a data connection, the cost for your call is .5MB per minute of a call
      1. Plus
          1. Nothing if it is to a number in Canada
          2. Whatever Fongo charges per minute to call whatever country you are calling
  6. Be aware, the Fongo dialing app kind of sucks
    1. You have to pay a few bucks to get rid of ads
    2. It looks terrible
    3. But honestly, it works just fine

Cheers,

Neil

17 REPLIES 17

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
FaceTime uses wifi or data not minutes

Yeah @Rockdaddy22 haven't really tested it, so I don't know. She's in Shanghai working at a school there, and this place is one of the more progressive ones, so I'm thinking yes it'll work, but internationally, someone would have to pay the minutes. I will try it when I add the LD add-on next month (for calling at Christmas).

Rockdaddy22
Does FaceTime not work in China or something lol I've heard FaceTime isn't offered in some Arab countries. It would be a lot better than skype and a lot easier for your parent 🙂 You can also use FaceTime audio, just like a phone call (voip)

@Luddite when I have to help my mom with her computer, I take control of it using join.me. A lot easier to do it this way, plus it's free. Too bad you couldn't do the same with cellphones... but maybe you can already and I'm just not aware.

@Rockdaddy22 probably because she's in China? Folks aren't calling her directly, but I wonder if FT even works if they did. I now text her directly (since joining PM), but she doesn't have int'l texting to reply, so we instead use WhatsApp.

Tomuchwork
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Funny enough I too use this setup.

I have two phone #'s I use. One for home which was on Koodo now ported to PM. and one that was on Wind, since ported to Fongo because I switched to Fido's 3GB-$15 plan.

For the fongo/fido setup. The port took about 2 days and the service works flawlessly. No problems making hour long calls and using texting mind you, you have to pay them 2 bux a month for texting... no problem.

As for PM minus the call time limitations it's been rock solid. And I installed Fongo there as well (both iPhones btw) for the odd time I need to call out of province. Works really well for me.

Rockdaddy22
@daredogg why aren't your parents using FaceTime with your sister  🙂

@daredogg Unless they have a second phone and can follow along with instructions, it is almost impossible to help them by phone. I have a similar problem with my sister but she can now follow emailed directions like: go to Settings >> Phone >> etc. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite thanks for your reply, and for sharing your insight on the different options out there. I've changed my tune in the last month or so, but I think at the time I was looking at the world through PM coloured glasses (orange, I'd guess). Different carriers will better suit different customers, and you're right, if someone doesn't fit here at PM, they should look a bit more, or have someone here refer them elsewhere.

I still do think, however, that the LD add-on PM is offering is the simplest choice for new customers. My parents, I couldn't imagine trying to show them how to download a certain app, set it up, and show them how to use it. They're not that old, but they're not that computer-saavy either. They both have iPhone 6s and have managed to figure out how to do Skype with my sister who's overseas (I give credit to her for that one, showing them how). Previously when we all lived together, I'd be able to show them how new apps work, but with them in BC now, me still in Ontario, not as convenient (and a lot more frustrating over the phone).

@daredogg wrote:

OR... how about keeping it simple?!

Add the 200 mins of US/Canada long distance to your account. $8 and it doesn't expire until you use it up.

Don't get me wrong @neilselden I think it's great you summarized some of the options, but don't you think as PM customers we should first be promoting what PM has to offer? The LD add-on might cost money, yes, but it is the simplest choice (especially for new customers).

@daredogg Agree with your 1st paragraph but not the second. As an open forum I am hoping for the best advice, not what is currently best for Public Mobile. In fact, I think sending potential customers away is the best way to obtain better offers from PM. PM clearly does not offer the best value for the following customers:

- texting only (Koodo)

- data only, except for 2 GB/30 days (Fido)

- texting with minimal calling (Koodo)

- roaming outside Canada (local SIMs are best value)

- minimalist/emergency users (speakout7eleven)

Further, PM IS NOT interested in these customers. The forum has been advocating for them as long as I have been a member.

jordanharris01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just a note: I'd really recommend using the Hangouts Dialer as I find the call quality to be far superior.

@neilselden wrote:

Hi,

I have the Fongo app too... and I would use it if I was able to figure out to set my caller ID to be my cell #.

@Luddite, do you know how to do that?

Cheers,

Neil

Sorry I don't. On the other hand I don't care; I just tell my friends to answer the "funny" phone number, or add it to my contact info.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good post @neilselden, just want to add a couple comments:

If you are somewhere that is WiFi connected, you can use your Hangouts method without using any of your precious 4GB data (most people call LD from home, office, hotel rooms, etc)

People need to be aware that voice over data (like Hangouts) can be lower quality than native voice (ie talk). This is particularly true if you have a marginal signal (as data needs a better quality connection than talk), or if you have other apps using a lot of data at the same time, or if you have a lot of other apps running and bogging down your phone.

Still, it's a great option.

neilselden

Hi,

I have the Fongo app too... and I would use it if I was able to figure out to set my caller ID to be my cell #.

@Luddite, do you know how to do that?

Cheers,

Neil

I use the app from fongo.com rather than Hangouts for this situation.

neilselden

Hi,
Well, I think that we're best off presenting as wide a range of solutions as possible. This is one thing that distinguishes PM from other carriers.... The collective creativity of the whole community.

All that said, you're right that a simple add-on does the trick, provided you're not a heavy long distance user.

Cheers
Neil

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

OR... how about keeping it simple?!

Add the 200 mins of US/Canada long distance to your account. $8 and it doesn't expire until you use it up.

Don't get me wrong @neilselden I think it's great you summarized some of the options, but don't you think as PM customers we should first be promoting what PM has to offer? The LD add-on might cost money, yes, but it is the simplest choice (especially for new customers).

Need Help? Let's chat.