cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM SIM not working after Koodo prepaid number port

I've been going round and round with the moderator team on this one for a couple of days without any luck so I thought I'd try the wider community in case anyone has an idea.

A couple of weeks ago I created a PM account and installed a new PM SIM into my newly purchased Umidigi A3 without issue. Since I was was previously on Koodo prepaid I assigned a temporary number at account creation and then got the moderator team to port my existing Koodo number. No issues and everything has been working just fine ever since.

Confident that there were no gotchas lurking out there (you never know Smiley Happy I went ahead and ordered the identical phone and SIM card for my wife. Account creation with a temporary number and SIM installation were the same and the phone came up on the PM network just fine. I made a couple of test calls to confirm everything was really working.

Things went sideways with the Koodo prepaid number port however. The moderator team assures me the port was successful and that my PM account looks good however I can't make or receive calls on the phone. Incoming calls don't come through and outgoing calls just show "calling" followed by "call ended" without connecting. Looking at the SIM on the phone shows the correct number assigned on the Telus network.

At this point I've been told that the SIM card is probably bad which I find a little hard to believe given that it is new and worked just fine with the temporary number before the number port from Koodo. I have a new SIM card on order but it will take several days to get here (here being in the middle of nowhere). Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try in the meantime?

Many thanks in advance.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: PM SIM not working after Koodo prepaid number port

@simonjcoates Switch sims in the two phones and see which one still works. If yours works with her sim you know it's fine. If her's works with your sim, you know the sim is good.

If they both work, switch them back and hope for the best!

Mayor / Maire

@simonjcoates 

Is your wife's prepaid Koodo Sim card still working?  

Try your wife's PM sim card in another phone.  Your phone or a different phone.  See whether the SIM card works in another phone.  

If it works in another phone, but not in the original phone...  maybe try rebooting phone, toggle airplane mode on/then off, or even factory reset the original phone.  

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that a while back.  My SIM works in my wife's phone; her SIM does not work in mine. I mentioned this to the moderators which is probably why they think the SIM is bad. Fair enough but what are the odds of a new SIM going bad just like that given that it worked OK before the number port was started ...

Oracle

a) Try the Koodo SIM.

b) Telus agents may help: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Get-your-PORT-ISSUES-FIXED-BY-LIVE-AGENT-...

c) Try these account reset tricks:

a) Lost/Stolen Trick 

1. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Suspend Service >> logout

2. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Resume Service >> logout

3. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

b) $1 Trick

1. login to your account >> Payment >> One TIme Payment >> follow the direction to poay $1 >> logout

2. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.

Not very likely, but you can't argue with results, eh?

Hopefully the new sim will fix you up. Are they providing it for free?

Oracle

@simonjcoates And, though not really a fix, try Textnow as a stop gap measure; free calling/texting while on wifi (or cellular data).

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@simonjcoates Sorry to hear what you have experienced. You may need to wait for the new SIM card arrives first. 

@simonjcoates You might want to try @Luddite 's "tricks". Nothing to lose and they just might work!

@Luddite wrote:

a) Try the Koodo SIM.

b) Telus agents may help: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Get-your-PORT-ISSUES-FIXED-BY-LIVE-AGENT-...

c) Try these account reset tricks:

a) Lost/Stolen Trick 

1. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Suspend Service >> logout

2. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Resume Service >> logout

3. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

b) $1 Trick

1. login to your account >> Payment >> One TIme Payment >> follow the direction to poay $1 >> logout

2. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

@chuck_grady wrote:

Not very likely, but you can't argue with results, eh?

Hopefully the new sim will fix you up. Are they providing it for free?

They did agree to refund my account which was nice. 

I agree it is hard to argue with results but I didn't find the whole problem diagnosing process with the moderators very confidence inspiring ...