cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM SIM not working after Koodo prepaid number port

simonjcoates
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been going round and round with the moderator team on this one for a couple of days without any luck so I thought I'd try the wider community in case anyone has an idea.

A couple of weeks ago I created a PM account and installed a new PM SIM into my newly purchased Umidigi A3 without issue. Since I was was previously on Koodo prepaid I assigned a temporary number at account creation and then got the moderator team to port my existing Koodo number. No issues and everything has been working just fine ever since.

Confident that there were no gotchas lurking out there (you never know 🙂 I went ahead and ordered the identical phone and SIM card for my wife. Account creation with a temporary number and SIM installation were the same and the phone came up on the PM network just fine. I made a couple of test calls to confirm everything was really working.

Things went sideways with the Koodo prepaid number port however. The moderator team assures me the port was successful and that my PM account looks good however I can't make or receive calls on the phone. Incoming calls don't come through and outgoing calls just show "calling" followed by "call ended" without connecting. Looking at the SIM on the phone shows the correct number assigned on the Telus network.

At this point I've been told that the SIM card is probably bad which I find a little hard to believe given that it is new and worked just fine with the temporary number before the number port from Koodo. I have a new SIM card on order but it will take several days to get here (here being in the middle of nowhere). Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try in the meantime?

Many thanks in advance.

28 REPLIES 28

@simonjcoates wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@simonjcoates 

I was skeptical that a new SIM card would have made a difference.  

You will need to follow  up with moderator and explained the switch with new SiM card did not work.  There are technical help that likely needs to be involved in your situation.  

So was I but they didn't seem willing to do anything more until I tried it. I have followed up on this with the moderators but they claim they don't have access to self serve so they can't see what I can (which I understand) but that everything "looks fine" on their side. I even called a very helpful agent at the Telus porting centre and everything looks fine there as well. Problem is it just doesn't work ...

Continue to communicate with moderator.  Tell them that your phone still does not work.  What is the next step?  Escalate to technical support?

simonjcoates

@Dunkman wrote:

@simonjcoates 

You will need to follow  up with moderator and explained the switch with new SiM card did not work.  There are technical help that likely needs to be involved in your situation.  

So was I but they didn't seem willing to do anything more until I tried it. I have followed up on this with the moderators but they claim they don't have access to self serve so they can't see what I can (which I understand) but that everything "looks fine" on their side. I even called a very helpful agent at the Telus porting centre and everything looks fine there as well. Problem is it just doesn't work ...

@simonjcoates 

simonjcoates

@geopublic wrote:

@simonjcoates  You should let the moderator know about that discrepancy with the number. I think that is what the problem is. The moderators need to fix it and reset your account and everything should start working.

Sorry to raise this again but having finally tried the new SIM card the moderators insisted would fix the issue the problem is still exacly the same. I've tried explaining the self serve number discrepancy to them but they claim they can't see it. How do I persuade them to sort this? Is there some sort of technical support they can escalate to internally?

@simonjcoates  If the phone number is correct then it must be the account that is the problem.

simonjcoates

@geopublic wrote:

@simonjcoates  If you have an Android phone dial:

*#*#4636#*#*

Select phone information. What is showing under the phone number section?

Phone number is correct.

@simonjcoates  If you have an Android phone dial:

*#*#4636#*#*

Select phone information. What is showing under the phone number section?

simonjcoates

@geopublic wrote:

@simonjcoates  You should let the moderator know about that discrepancy with the number. I think that is what the problem is. The moderators need to fix it and reset your account and everything should start working.

I tend to agree. I did run this by the moderator I was dealing with but they seem to be convinced it is a SIM issue and that this is just a problem with self serve.

@CS_Agent this has been raised under ticket IN0000014336813 but I'm told it could be up to 10 days before there is a response. Does it seem possible that the malformed phone number displayed on self serve could explain the problem reported? The bad value must be coming from somewhere; maybe that somewhere is also significant when it comes to providing service ...

simonjcoates

@Dunkman wrote:

@simonjcoates 

Another trick you could try which I seen once or twice in the past.  Go to replace your SIM card section, re-enter the same SIM card number in the New Sim card number line.  It solved another customer's problem before.  

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately no dice.

I would hope it would be quite quick now. @CS_Agent has begun intercepting feeds here in the community. I would hope this means they are caught up and looking for work. I wouldn't think they would spend time here before helping clients already in the queue.

simonjcoates

@ChuckYeah wrote:

I'm no expert in the Telus backend either, but this is mine.

phone#.PNG

It will be interesting to see if this changes when they activate your new sim. Did @CS_Agent ask you to get in touch with them when it arrives? It might be best, I think.

Thanks for this. I really hope the new SIM fixes it. If the broken number is the issue then the I'm looking at 10 days for a response to the ticket ...

@simonjcoates 

Another trick you could try which I seen once or twice in the past.  Go to replace your SIM card section, re-enter the same SIM card number in the New Sim card number line.  It solved another customer's problem before.  

I'm no expert in the Telus backend either, but this is mine.

phone#.PNG

It will be interesting to see if this changes when they activate your new sim. Did @CS_Agent ask you to get in touch with them when it arrives? It might be best, I think.

simonjcoates

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@simonjcoates just had another thought...

Can you log into your wife's self serve account and see what the last 4 digits of the sim registered to your account? Are they the same as the sim in your wife's phone.

Click plans and addons, change sim card.

If this is the same system as Koodo uses, I wonder if her Koodo Sim number could have been placed in there?

sim#.png

Good thought but unfortunately the last 4 digits match.

The only odd thing I noticed was that the number displayed under the "My Plan & Add-ons" is incorrect. Its shows "Phone Number :50-566-XXXX" which is missing the leading digit for the 250 area code. This value shows correctly for my account so its not some weird self serve bug. It looks to me like someone fat fingered a value. I did mention this to the moderators but they assure me that the number associated with the account is correct as far as they can tell. Not knowing how the Telus back end works I have no clue if this is an issue but it did seem odd...

@simonjcoates just had another thought...

Can you log into your wife's self serve account and see what the last 4 digits of the sim registered to your account? Are they the same as the sim in your wife's phone.

Click plans and addons, change sim card.

If this is the same system as Koodo uses, I wonder if her Koodo Sim number could have been placed in there?

sim#.png

@simonjcoates 

Sim card are usually fairly reliable.  Hopefully, the Sim swap works.... Let us know how it turns out.....

simonjcoates

@Luddite wrote:

a) Try the Koodo SIM.

b) Telus agents may help: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Get-your-PORT-ISSUES-FIXED-BY-LIVE-AGENT-...

c) Try these account reset tricks:

a) Lost/Stolen Trick 

1. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Suspend Service >> logout

2. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Resume Service >> logout

3. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

b) $1 Trick

1. login to your account >> Payment >> One TIme Payment >> follow the direction to poay $1 >> logout

2. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

Thanks for the "tricks" 🙂 I tried them both but unfortunately no luck ...

simonjcoates

@Dunkman wrote:

@simonjcoates 

Is your wife's prepaid Koodo Sim card still working?  

Try your wife's PM sim card in another phone.  Your phone or a different phone.  See whether the SIM card works in another phone.  

If it works in another phone, but not in the original phone...  maybe try rebooting phone, toggle airplane mode on/then off, or even factory reset the original phone.  

The Koodo SIM no longer provides service and the new PM SIM doesn't seem to work in any phone I have tried. So maybe it is bad. It just seems odd that it worked prior to the start of the port ...

simonjcoates

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Not very likely, but you can't argue with results, eh?

Hopefully the new sim will fix you up. Are they providing it for free?

They did agree to refund my account which was nice. 

I agree it is hard to argue with results but I didn't find the whole problem diagnosing process with the moderators very confidence inspiring ...

@simonjcoates You might want to try @Luddite 's "tricks". Nothing to lose and they just might work!

@Luddite wrote:

a) Try the Koodo SIM.

b) Telus agents may help: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Get-your-PORT-ISSUES-FIXED-BY-LIVE-AGENT-...

a) Lost/Stolen Trick 

1. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Suspend Service >> logout

2. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Resume Service >> logout

b) $1 Trick

1. login to your account >> Payment >> One TIme Payment >> follow the direction to poay $1 >> logout

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@simonjcoates Sorry to hear what you have experienced. You may need to wait for the new SIM card arrives first. 

@simonjcoates And, though not really a fix, try Textnow as a stop gap measure; free calling/texting while on wifi (or cellular data).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Not very likely, but you can't argue with results, eh?

Hopefully the new sim will fix you up. Are they providing it for free?

a) Try the Koodo SIM.

a) Lost/Stolen Trick 

b) $1 Trick

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

simonjcoates

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that a while back.  My SIM works in my wife's phone; her SIM does not work in mine. I mentioned this to the moderators which is probably why they think the SIM is bad. Fair enough but what are the odds of a new SIM going bad just like that given that it worked OK before the number port was started ...

@simonjcoates 

Is your wife's prepaid Koodo Sim card still working?  

Try your wife's PM sim card in another phone.  Your phone or a different phone.  See whether the SIM card works in another phone.  

If it works in another phone, but not in the original phone...  maybe try rebooting phone, toggle airplane mode on/then off, or even factory reset the original phone.  

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@simonjcoates Switch sims in the two phones and see which one still works. If yours works with her sim you know it's fine. If her's works with your sim, you know the sim is good.

If they both work, switch them back and hope for the best!

Need Help? Let's chat.