cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHONE # PORTED BY PHONE NOT UNLOCKED, NEED TO SWITCH NUMBER BACK TO OLD PROVIDER

vanessabancheri
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
My number was transferred to Public, but my phone was not unlocked by my old provider and so the new SIM will not work on my phone.

Now my old provider will not unlock my phone because the number has been ported to public so I need to switch the number back to my old provider. But, this tech support system sucks and you can't even talk to a person about it so I feel stuck and not sure what to do 
8 REPLIES 8

They do not need to reactivate the plan or phone number.  They just need to give you the code, then your PM sim is used to unlock the phone.

@darlicious wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@vanessabancheri wrote:
My number was transferred to Public, but my phone was not unlocked by my old provider and so the new SIM will not work on my phone.

Now my old provider will not unlock my phone because the number has been ported to public so I need to switch the number back to my old provider. But, this tech support system sucks and you can't even talk to a person about it so I feel stuck and not sure what to do 

@vanessabancheri  Why not ask your old provider to activate your account with a new number, get the phone unlocked and cancel?

Edit: You do realise that once you port out of PM your account will close and you will lose the funds that you have paid for your current plan. If you want to signup with PM you will need a new sim and email.

@vanessabancheri  Really if your not that assertive I almost want volunteer to do it for you but I cannot...youre  the account holder . Stand up for your rights! As Bob Marley would say. This is what telecom companies think they can do...and get away with it.

@geopublic wrote:

@vanessabancheri wrote:

@vanessabancheri  Why not ask your old provider to activate your account with a new number, get the phone unlocked and cancel?

Edit: You do realise that once you port out of PM your account will close and you will lose the funds that you have paid for your current plan. If you want to signup with PM you will need a new sim and email.

@vanessabancheri  Really if your not that assertive I almost want volunteer to do it for you but I cannot...youre  the account holder . Stand up for your rights! As Bob Marley would say. This is what telecom companies think they can do...and get away with it.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vanessabancheri wrote:

Edit: You do realise that once you port out of PM your account will close and you will lose the funds that you have paid for your current plan. If you want to signup with PM again,you will need a new sim and email.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@vanessabancheri wrote:

All wireless telecom providers are required to provide you with an unlocking code as required by the wireless code of Canada without charge and upon immediate request by you. Call them again with information identifying you as the account holder. If they refuse tell them you will be making an immediate complaint to the cctc and will be asking for compensatory damages along with a recommendation for the maximum fine for not complying with regulations effective December 2017. You should get the code forthwith.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vanessabancheri wrote:

@vanessabancheri If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

@vanessabancheri wrote:

Public Mobile cannot help you with unlocking another carrier's device.  If that other carrier is refusing to do it, I would be upset with them and not Public Mobile, so I'm not sure of the rationale to go back to them.

Which carrier are you coming from?  The other carrier does need to get this unlocked to you for free, but as you've already found out, some might not be helpful if you're not a current customer.

What device model do you have? Some can be unlocked through a third-party rather inexpensively.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@vanessabancheriIf you need to port your number back to your old provider you don't need to contact Public Mobile..Log into your selfserve and get your account number from the top right hand corner.

Reactivate your old account and ask your old provider to port your Public Mobile number back to your old provider by providing your account number and PIN. Should be done in a few hours.

Do note after you are done porting any $ you have in your Public Mobile account will be forfeited and the SIM card will no longer be usable.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

If it's a Samsung phone, you can call their customer support and get it unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.