cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing emails

LSMRTN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My first full day using Public Mobile. My incoming emails to my phone worked fine, but sending was slow.  It stayed in my 'outbox' for a few hours.  Is anyone else experiencing this or slow response in other data use?

27 REPLIES 27

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

That way I get to keep the ones I want on my iMac (in MS Office OutLook).....once that is all done I can do a clean sweep on the other devices.

@88cranston fair enough I guess.  I'll just say that this seems like more work than necessary, and if your iMac was ever lost, stolen, or died, you'd lose that single copy of those emails you wanted to keep.  If you're after an "inbox zero" approach, you could use folder(s) for the mail you want to keep instead.  Just a thought.

iMac  is on minute by minute Time Machine backup along with monthly thumb drive backup. I do use folders on MS Office Outlook. I don’t trust Gmail folders as stuff disappears. 

@88cranston wrote:

I don’t see and ActiveSync option on iPhone, iPad, MacBook or iMac using Apple Mail or MS Office OutLook.

Am I missing where I should be looking? And will each device hang on to the email. I DON’T like Imap!!

@88cranston I'm not an iPhone guy, so just assumed it would be as easy to set up as it is on an Android device (where it's a type you can select from when you select to add an account to the Gmail or Outlook app, and most/all other 3rd party apps as well).  A quick google search suggested this:  https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201729.  Looks a bit more complicated on iPhone.  Maybe to try go push you toward iCloud instead?

Will look at ActiveSync again. And no iCloud for personal records! Thanks for your suggestions. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

That way I get to keep the ones I want on my iMac (in MS Office OutLook).....once that is all done I can do a clean sweep on the other devices.

@88cranston fair enough I guess.  I'll just say that this seems like more work than necessary, and if your iMac was ever lost, stolen, or died, you'd lose that single copy of those emails you wanted to keep.  If you're after an "inbox zero" approach, you could use folder(s) for the mail you want to keep instead.  Just a thought.

@88cranston wrote:

I don’t see and ActiveSync option on iPhone, iPad, MacBook or iMac using Apple Mail or MS Office OutLook.

Am I missing where I should be looking? And will each device hang on to the email. I DON’T like Imap!!

@88cranston I'm not an iPhone guy, so just assumed it would be as easy to set up as it is on an Android device (where it's a type you can select from when you select to add an account to the Gmail or Outlook app, and most/all other 3rd party apps as well).  A quick google search suggested this:  https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201729.  Looks a bit more complicated on iPhone.  Maybe to try go push you toward iCloud instead?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

88cranston

@GinYVR wrote:

Why would POP or IMAP have any influence of OP's problem with Outgoing Mail?! Outgoing mail will always be SMTP no matter if it is IMAP or POP.

Port settings, ssl, tsl, etc. And the info from the OP is still inconclusive to be able to help. 

88cranston

@srlawren wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

And when I asked earlier if you had problems in Canada and/or USA......my pop settings rarely work in USA. And like on an iPhone you would use “Apple Mail” you would set up name@telus etc. using imap or pop settings. (3)What app are you using on your Samsung?

@88cranston if you're using iMAP or POP over Exchange ActiveSync with either an Office 365 or an Outlook.com (or hotmail.com, live.ca, etc.) email address, you should really be looking at ActiveSync.

I like pop as it allows each device to hold on to the email. I have a number of emails but want both a gmail account and my Telus account as pop. That way I get to keep the ones I want on my iMac (in MS Office OutLook).....once that is all done I can do a clean sweep on the other devices. I don’t see and ActiveSync option on iPhone, iPad, MacBook or iMac using Apple Mail or MS Office OutLook.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Why would POP or IMAP have any influence of OP's problem with Outgoing Mail?! Outgoing mail will always be SMTP no matter if it is IMAP or POP.

88cranston

r@88cranston wrote:

@LSMRTN wrote:

Sorry,  not sure if using pop or imap.  Someone else set up my email. I think it's pop

Ok so their are two OUTLOOK emails. One is part of MS Office and one is standalone and will be like name@outlook.com. If the MS Office client you could let this one control almost any kind of email like name@telus.net, name@shaw.com, name@gmail.com. MS Outlook is usually used on a desk top machine. (1)So on your Samsung Phone what is after the  “@“ for the problem email?  (2)If you are using pop or imap your outbox settings maybe incorrect. And when I asked earlier if you had problems in Canada and/or USA......my pop settings rarely work in USA. And like on an iPhone you would use “Apple Mail” you would set up name@telus etc. using imap or pop settings. (3)What app are you using on your Samsung?

You might want to look at this. 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-use-the-samsung-email-app/

Some times these apps will do all of the work if you are doing an imap set up. Pop may mean more manual intervention. 

srlawren

@88cranston wrote:

And when I asked earlier if you had problems in Canada and/or USA......my pop settings rarely work in USA. And like on an iPhone you would use “Apple Mail” you would set up name@telus etc. using imap or pop settings. (3)What app are you using on your Samsung?

@88cranston if you're using iMAP or POP over Exchange ActiveSync with either an Office 365 or an Outlook.com (or hotmail.com, live.ca, etc.) email address, you should really be looking at ActiveSync.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

88cranston

@LSMRTN wrote:

Sorry,  not sure if using pop or imap.  Someone else set up my email. I think it's pop

Ok so there are two OUTLOOK emails. One is part of MS Office and one is standalone and will be like name@outlook.com. If the MS Office client you could let this one control almost any kind of email like name@telus.net, name@shaw.com, name@gmail.com. MS Outlook is usually used on a desk top machine. (1)So on your Samsung Phone what is after the  “@“ for the problem email?  (2)If you are using pop or imap your outbox settings maybe incorrect. And when I asked earlier if you had problems in Canada and/or USA......my pop settings rarely work in USA. And like on an iPhone you would use “Apple Mail” you would set up name@telus etc. using imap or pop settings. (3)What app are you using on your Samsung?

S

@LSMRTN wrote:

No, not gmail. It's an outlook email. Use for my work.  It's responding a little better today, but still slow is syncing. Hasn't synced for the past hour, then suddenly it will catch up, even connecting to my house wifi.

@LSMRTN  If your work is using their own Exchange server that might explain the delay ask your IT department to check for problems on their end.

LSMRTN

No, but the town I was in has guest wifi.  That may be it. As I said, outgoing worked better today. But syncing is still lagging.

LSMRTN

88cranston

@LSMRTN wrote:

No, not gmail. It's an outlook email. Use for my work.  It's responding a little better today, but still slow is syncing. Hasn't synced for the past hour, then suddenly it will catch up, even connecting to my house wifi.

Are using MS Office “Outlook” as an email client?

Are you using imap or pop settings and are they right?

LSMRTN

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@LSMRTN  If you can receive email via mobile data then your apn/data connection is fine.

Sounds like a settings issue with your mail app. What email app are you using? Gmail?

88cranston

@88cranston wrote:

What email app are you using.

What is your Samsung model. 

Are you using imap or pop settings

Are you in Canada or USA. 

And what email are you using. 

Telus

shaw

hotmail

gmail

?

88cranston

@LSMRTN wrote:

No attachments.  I did try sending again. I ignored it for a while, then it just left my outbox later in the day.  Thanks for your suggestion.

When it left outbox did you walk into a or close to a wifi connection.....like ShawGo or Starbucks? 

88cranston

What email app are you using.

What is your Samsung model. 

Are you using imap or pop settings

Are you in Canada or USA. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Just a theory, but try forcing your phone to 3g or LTE (whichever you're not currently using) and try again. I'm wondering if it could be signal quality issue? 

88cranston

@LSMRTN wrote:

Not iphone. Samsung. It works fine at home when using my wifi. Maybe a setting on my phone?

I am not up on Android. May some one else can answer. On an iPhone when you turn on cellular you scroll down and turn on what “things” you want to use over cellular. There is a switch for most but not all “things”. Or google it...Samsung model xx not sending email on cellular. 

Things = apps I guess🤪

popping

@LSMRTN wrote:

Not iphone. Samsung. It works fine at home when using my wifi. Maybe a setting on my phone?

Check the APN setting on your Samung phone.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

LSMRTN

No attachments.  I did try sending again. I ignored it for a while, then it just left my outbox later in the day.  Thanks for your suggestion.

LSMRTN

popping

@LSMRTN 

If you have a LG phone, do a network reset after changing provider before your data working again.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I just sent a test email on LTE and 3G and both went likety split!

As has been indicated, How is your browser working?

88cranston

@LSMRTN wrote:

My first full day using Public Mobile. My incoming emails to my phone worked fine, but sending was slow.  It stayed in my 'outbox' for a few hours.  Is anyone else experiencing this or slow response in other data use?

If iPhone do you have both cellular AND email turned on?

mimmo

Are there any attachments on the outgoing email?

Delete the outgoing mail and try again? Or try a test email?

popping

@LSMRTN wrote:

Enable data and restart your phone to configure your APN automatically.

Is your data working?

Can you get on Internet using a browser?

Which plan do you have?

Check the usage line on your overview page after login.

If you don't see the usage line, you have used all your data for your cycle.

Need Help? Let's chat.