cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing Texting unavailable, APN settings unavailable, and Mobile Data unavailable

JaredQHopps
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent

I bought a new Phone. All of the bands are available (BV9500 if you need to know) however 2 issues have risen

1. I'm unable to send texts. I'm able to recieve texts, however when I try sending them, I'm unable to send them. I've tried using other apps.

and before you suggest adding the public mobile APN

2. the APN settings are unavailable. I have tried editing them (see attached) and even with side loading them using ADB, I'm unable to add any information in any of the categories (see attached as well).

3. because of the inability to add APN settings, I'm unable to use mobile data

so in conclusion, I'm unable to use the majority of the features I'm paying for, and that doesn't seem right

Unable to add APN settingsUnable to add APN settingseven side loaded, unable to addeven side loaded, unable to add

edit: the command I used in the shell was

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT  content://telephony/carriers  --ei simId -1

if anyone needs the command

12 REPLIES 12

JaredQHopps

@krazykiwi I contacted @CS_Agent and they were able to send the right configuration settings to my phone through the network.

As for texting, it was because my SMS Service Center number was empty. It started working when I put in

In that field

@NDesai wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@NDesai, I had to manually edit the APN when I had my Nexus 5, while on Public Mobile.  The OP is correct that Public Mobile doesn't 'provide' the APN settings with the SIM activation electronically.  It did need to be manually modified, and/or an additional APN  created for differences.

Well, i never added apn manually. I once installed a couple ROMs on it, and still i didn't have to enter apn settings manually. 

I am with @NDesai, I have activated 2 PM sims with iphones and never manually entered the APN settings on either. 

@JaredQHopps try removing the sim, start the phone, shut the phone down, reinsert the sim and then start the phone again. This forces it to look for the network settings again from the sim.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

@stonechucker wrote:

@NDesai, I had to manually edit the APN when I had my Nexus 5, while on Public Mobile.  The OP is correct that Public Mobile doesn't 'provide' the APN settings with the SIM activation electronically.  It did need to be manually modified, and/or an additional APN  created for differences.

Well, i never added apn manually. I once installed a couple ROMs on it, and still i didn't have to enter apn settings manually. 

@JaredQHopps I just did a google search, and found this: http://bbs.blackview.hk/viewtopic.php?t=464481

@JaredQHopps wrote:

@NDesai danr... so I might have spent $400 on a brick then... well... not a brick, but yet another phone that doesn't work properly for my chosen network...

Did your try any other sim on it? You should also try your sim in any other phone to see if all services work properly. 

JaredQHopps

@NDesai danr... so I might have spent $400 on a brick then... well... not a brick, but yet another phone that doesn't work properly for my chosen network...

JaredQHopps

@stonechuckerI'm on Unlimited talk and text 4.5gb monthly

Are you on the $10 50minute / 50 outgoing SMS plan?  This could be the problem if you've run out of outgoing text messages.

There are no add-ons for more texts, so you'd have to renew your plan, schedule a plan change for next renewal, or a combination of both.

@JaredQHopps wrote:

@NDesai I've factory resetted my phone multiple times. From how I understood public Mobile works, they don't have the APN setting on their SIM cards, they rely on their customers adding the APN manually.

I never had to manually add APN settings on Nexus 5 or Pixel 2. It automatically loaded the correct APN. This looks to be a phone issue rather than sim related issue. 

JaredQHopps

@NDesai I've factory resetted my phone multiple times. From how I understood public Mobile works, they don't have the APN setting on their SIM cards, they rely on their customers adding the APN manually.

I unlocked the bootloader on my phone. That's the only thing I've done since texting last worked on the phone. (for the record, the APN setting never worked on this phone, the texting worked until saturday(my next attempt at texting was today))

I also fiddled around with dialer codes, but I always changed the settings back to how they were

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@JaredQHopps APN has nothing to do with SMS texting. So that should work regardless of incorrect APN settings. For data, APN must be correct and it looks like you are not on the Public Mobile's APN settings. Correct settings can be found here: https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en But as you mentioned, you are not able to add or edit APN settings. Try factory resetting your phone and see if it picks up the correct APN from your Public Mobile sim. 

Need Help? Let's chat.