cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of the Country for 3 Weeks

reyjasonc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello PM Community,

I am new to PM. Please pardon me if I am asking silly questions. I tried to look for an answer online but to no avail.

We are going to southeast asia for a vacation for just over 3 weeks. Is there anything I need to do before departing the country.? Would I need to turn on roaming or something? Would I be able to receive text while out of the country? Would I be able to use data there?

We are leaving on Thursday, April 18th then coming back on Friday, May 10th if that helps.

Additional info: Also, My PM renews every 20th of the month. I got the $40 plan (3G, 5gb data, unlimited call and text Canada wide). 

Thank you! Any help would be appreciated. 

17 REPLIES 17

@slash407 wrote:

just leave the phone to wifi only, its to expensive if u start raoming and this is a prepaid service so u need to buy addons before using and who knows how much u need right? u might have to keep buying more if u run out. Keep it on wifi

The OP of this thread (reyjasonc) is going to Southeast Asia.  There are no add-ons that this person can purchase to use Public Mobile there.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr 

My confusion then confused you. You were right. My apologies. Please go ahead and edit your post.

No problem.. just so long as @reyjasonc  can follow and not get confused.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr 

My confusion then confused you. You were right. My apologies. Please go ahead and edit your post.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote: 

Actually I think it might not be a good idea to change plans.. isn't that one of the plans that will be discontinued on the 22nd of this month.  If  @reyjasonc wants to keep that plan on returning better to enable autopay to be on the safe side.

That one was not one slated to be dropped according to the announcement.

I don't think the OP really needs to do anything. But there are options depending on how much he likes his money.

He leaves just before his renewal. I suppose if he has autopay then he could turn it off and the plan won't renew if he doesn't have enough in his Available Funds. If he has excess in his Available Funds then he could Suspend it in the lost/stolen. Then Resume it on his return.

If not enough in Available Funds and no autopay then he's in suspension anyway.

Upon returning, top up, Reactivate, away he goes with a new term start date.

Someone has already said as much but there it is.

Edit:  My mistake, was being a bit lazy not double checking which plans were expiring.  @reyjasonc  please ignore and have a great trip.

Sorry for the delay in editing my reply but didn't want to try and edit on a 4" screen last night.

Hopefully, @reyjasonc got the right answer before he left for his trip.

@sunflowershine That wouldn't be a great idea right now if he wants to keep the plan he has, they are going to be removed April 22 https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Select-ready-made-plans-expiring-April-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote: CORRECTLY!!

Actually I think it might not be a good idea to change plans.. isn't that one of the plans that will be discontinued on the 22nd of this month.  If  @reyjasonc wants to keep that plan on returning better to enable autopay to be on the safe side.

That one was not one slated to be dropped according to the announcement. Edit: Thanks @Alex888 I was confused. I thought it was the $15 plan being talked about.

I don't think the OP really needs to do anything. But there are options depending on how much he likes his money.

He leaves just before his renewal. I suppose if he has autopay then he could turn it off and the plan won't renew if he doesn't have enough in his Available Funds. If he has excess in his Available Funds then he could Suspend it in the lost/stolen. Then Resume it on his return.

If not enough in Available Funds and no autopay then he's in suspension anyway.

Upon returning, top up, Reactivate, away he goes with a new term start date.

Someone has already said as much but there it is.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@reyjasonc wrote:

Hello PM Community,

I am new to PM. Please pardon me if I am asking silly questions. I tried to look for an answer online but to no avail.

We are going to southeast asia for a vacation for just over 3 weeks. Is there anything I need to do before departing the country.? Would I need to turn on roaming or something? Would I be able to receive text while out of the country? Would I be able to use data there?

We are leaving on Thursday, April 18th then coming back on Friday, May 10th if that helps.

Additional info: Also, My PM renews every 20th of the month. I got the $40 plan (3G, 5gb data, unlimited call and text Canada wide). 

@reyjasonc There is no roaming services available other than US. You can change your plan to $15 in your coming renewal. When you come back, you can still use the plan with 250MB data (if you are autopay customer). You won't lose much. You can reset your next renewal back to your normal plan of $40. 

Or you can have $10 on the 20th of April. Once you use up your minutes or texts of 50, you can renewal your normal plan immediately. 

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, if you have access to WIFI where you are staying, you could use an app like , Hangouts or Whatsapp to text and talk to friends back in Canada for free. Install it before you go, and have your friends install it.

Bon Voyage

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@reyjasonc wrote:

Hello PM Community,

@reyjasoncIf you are going to South East Asia your Public Mobile SIM card will not work for any of the services you mentioned (Calls, Text or Data). As others mentioned you will need to purchase a SIM card from a local prepaid provider to use those services.

As for your plan for the three weeks you are away you have three choices:

1. Renew your plan: If you have signed up for AutoPay your plan will automatically renew. If you don't have Autopay setup you will need to add the funds in your account before your plan renews.
  2. Suspend your plan: You can decide not to make payment and your account will get suspended. When you come back in three weeks you can add the necessary funds to your account and re-activate you plan.
  3. Lost/Stolen option: Report your SIM lost/stolen using selfserve via the Plan & Add-ons tab just before you leave. When you get back report your SIM found. Just make sure you have enough funds in your account to cover the next renewal.

Hope that helps.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@reyjasonc wrote:

Hello PM Community,

@reyjasonc There is no roaming services available other than US. You can change your plan to $15 in your coming renewal. When you come back, you can still use the plan with 250MB data (if you are autopay customer). You won't lose much. You can reset your next renewal back to your normal plan of $40. 

Or you can have $10 on the 20th of April. Once you use up your minutes or texts of 50, you can renewal your normal plan immediately. 

reyjasonc

Oh yeah, I know it renews every 30 days. I activated my sim sometime on the 20th of the month few months ago, so I just put 20th for reference. I know it doesn’t have to fall on the 20th as there are months that have 31 days or 28 days. But I hope you get the idea. Thanks for bringing that up though. 

@reyjasonc You don't need to do anything, you will not be charge for anything, it just won't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reyjasonc wrote:

Okay, makes sense. Do I need to do something or need to know before leaving Canada? I mean does the sim automatically deactivates when outside the country and then reactivates back again the moment the plane lands in Canada? Not sure how PM works. Thanks

It doesn't deactivate per se. The phone with this SIM will be ignored by any other providers.

reyjasonc

Okay, makes sense. Do I need to do something or need to know before leaving Canada? I mean does the sim automatically deactivates when outside the country and then reactivates back again the moment the plane lands in Canada? Not sure how PM works. Thanks

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@reyjasonc You will not be able to use your phone there without getting a plan from another provider, nor will you be able to receive texts. Public Mobile only works in Canada and the US, and you need an addon to use it in the US.
If you want your plan renewed while you are gone make sure you either have funds in your account or are on autopay.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reyjasonc wrote:

Hello PM Community,

1. Pack? 🙂

2. No roaming other than the US.

3. Not without roaming add-ons in the US.

4. See 3.

It would be suggested to get a local SIM and cell service where you go. Public Mobile only works in Canada and roaming add-ons in the US.

ninja'd by ShawnC13 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@reyjasonc wrote:

Hello PM Community,

Your PM service will not work while you travel there.  To have cell service you would need to purchase a sim when you arrive there.  PM only works in Canada and the US and you need to purchase a US Roaming add-on to have it work in the US.

ETA:  You plan will not renew on the 20th of every month.  It will be 30 days from when your plan was activated as plans are 30 days and not a calendar month

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.