cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out going call display

Dad-V
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all. I transferred my daughters number from Fido months ago. Here number had belonged to someone else before( I’m assuming with Fido). She was getting calls from people looking for this person. We haven’t had any issues with her outgoing call display until recently. She had called her grandmother and the other persons name was coming up on grandma’s call display instead of hers??

4 REPLIES 4

As previously mentioned, it's most likely because of a  "helper app" installed on their phone which is getting the name from some online database.

Some of these apps are called Smart Call, TrueCaller, maybe you can ask if they have something like those installed on their phone.

The "wrong name" was probably a former user of the number from before it was even in use by your daughter at Fido, but because Fido gratuitously transmits the name along with the number for outgoing caller ID, most likely the "helper apps" did not try to fill it in.

Now that the number has been transferred to Public Mobile, and only the number is transmitted, the "helper apps" are now looking the number against (outdated) Internet databases.

Here's a link to a previous topic about this, and some links to get 'delisted':

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Name-attached-to-my-number/m-p/484597...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Dad-V , Rogers/Fido do offer name display with their service.  Public Mobile only provides a phone number.  The phone software will associate incoming numbers to names in the contact list.  As for numbers being previously owned by others, that is pretty much the case with old area codes.  Unused numbers are usually furloughed for a be before reissue.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Dad-V  this isn't coming from PM. They only display the number. Try this to disable Caller ID for all your outgoing calls:

iPhone

1. Tap Settings.
  2. Tap Phone.
  3. Select Show My Caller ID.
  4. Toggle Show My Caller ID to the ‘off' setting to disable Caller ID. Toggle it to the ‘on' setting to enable Caller ID.

Android (based on Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7)

1. Tap Phone.
  2. In the top-right corner, tap MORE > Settings.
  3. Tap More settings.
  4. Tap Show my caller ID, then tap Hide number to disable Caller ID or tap Show number to enable Caller ID.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the community.  Stay safe. 

This likely means that your mother/mother-in-law either has software on the phone that checks an internet database for name information, or that Fido has mistakenly tried to re-issue your daughter's phone number. Public Mobile doesn't send name information for outgoing calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.