cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option for living abroad?

zedayare
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I'm not currently living in Canada but will be moving back for a few months to help my family. 

I want to switch to a prepaid plan, but I'm not sure what will happen when I leave again? I usually (pre-covid) am in Canada 3-4 times a year and I like having a set phone number (I want to keep my phone number when I change to PM) but I'm wondering what happens when I leave Canada and don't need my phone for a few months... When I leave do I just not pay the next month, and then pay again when I come back? Or will I lose my number, etc? I want to avoid paying each  month when I'm not in the country, but still keep my number when I am there. 

6 REPLIES 6

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@zedayare 

Why not port your number to Fongo

This way you can use it abroad with data or WiFi.

Call forwarding is free and calls to Canada are free, you can receive sms for free and you can purchase unlimited sms for $10 for 6 months (sms to other Fongo numbers are unlimited as well)

When you get to Canada you just forward it to any number you are using at the time. It's very unfortunate that sms can't be forwarded.

On the other hand is you come here few times per year you can just keep your account dormant for up to 90 days and set yourself couple of reminders to reactivate on day 85 or so. If you spend about 3 months here or year it would mean it will cost you about 30-60 per year to maintain.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zedayare : The numbers here aren't quite exactly correct...or at least the terminology. It's what I call a dormant account . Pay every 120 days. That renews the plan for 30 days, then it expires and goes into suspension, it can stay in suspension for 90 days, then it would deactivate losing everything.

So...pay every say 115 days to not have a last minute problem to then lose everything. You get a 30 day window of use up front.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another option could be to get a viop number from fongo, free Canadian tel number.  That way you always have the number and no issues of it expiring.  I have never used it as a full time number so can't.

Pm is great but you have 90 days after non renewal to renew your plan if you don't the you lose number and account.  So much depends on how long you will be away 

yiruiruan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As mentioned by others, paying every 90 days is a way, and there are plenty of solution on reddit that you can look at. Another way may be to switch to another provider who offers to keep your number at a few bucks a month and switch back. PM does not currently offer these types of functionalities at the moment.

@zedayare 

As mentioned above, you will need to pay your account every 90 days or your account will be permanently closed/number lost.  You can either remove autopay information or report your phone lost/stolen.  Your self service account will show what date you will need to re-activate by before losing your account.  

Helpful hint: don't do the payment at the last minute.  Sometimes there are issues with autopay, credit card, etc. and occasionally can take 1-2 days to resolve.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can remove autopay but if you want to keep your phone number  then make a payment before 90 days or else your account will be deactivated.

See this previous thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Possible-to-voluntarily-suspe...

Need Help? Let's chat.