cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open new account for US citizen

ober
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I plan to travel in Canada and would like to open the account, get SIM card as well, what kind of documents I need to provide to open the account? US passport, US driver license, something else? Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with @AE_Collector. Get the PM SIM from Amazon ahead of time and activate your plan a few days ahead of your  trip. Then you will have a buffer if any issues arise

If you have time you could presumably buy a SIM card on eBay or Amazon and have it mailed to your US address. Then activate a couple of days before you head north to be sure all is good to go. I assume PM DIM cards can be shipped to the US? If not I regularly cross the border and could mail you one. 

The service that comes with all plans other than the $50 plan can not call the US though. If you will need that you can purchase an add-on for $8 giving you 200 minutes to the US that last until you use them all up. Or $15 for 400 minutes.

AE_Collector

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous I'm happy to be wrong!  Thanks for the clarification.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

They accept from the US. That's if the OP is here for more than a month.

@Anonymous are you 100% sure??  I recall only Canadian payment cards.

@srlawren 

Yes.

We accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) and Visa Debit cards that have been issued by Canadian or American financial institutions and are associated with addresses in Canada or the U.S.

At least that's the official statement anyway. 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

Just one caution. Does PM accept a credit card from another country for auto-pay?

@Anonymous are you 100% sure??  I recall only Canadian payment cards.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ober Please read your PM ....Private Messages. 

ober

Only payments? Or incoming/outgoing calls/numbers/ as well?

88cranston

You can also do an easy copy and paste from your transactions to Excel per month. But that can be tedious as you may have many pages to copy and paste. And keep in mind no taxes will show...nor will the extra 33% or so off for exchange rate. 

88cranston

@ober wrote:

Do they issue the monthly statements?

Apparently they do. But you have to contact a MOD. I take it you may often travel cross border?  Screen prints of your account are ok but they do not show sales taxes paid. I would suggest to buy the SIM and London Drugs if you want to make sure your account is set up right.....suggest you do it yourself. Walmart appears to force sale of SIM WITH them setting up your account. You can find referals for $10 off on Craiglist or Kijjiji. Also there is a free $25 account on Craiglist Abbotsford (Fraser Valley). It has a $1 referal credit on it. I don't know how much work it would be to customize back to your name though.  See Here

Glenn1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you can go to "my account" at the web site for public mobile and check your playent history

ober

Do they issue the monthly statements?

ober

Thanks!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ober wrote:

I plan to travel in Canada and would like to open the account, get SIM card as well, what kind of documents I need to provide to open the account? US passport, US driver license, something else? Thanks.

@ober  When you get here just go to a Walmart. Activate the sim card pick a number and purchase a voucher to cover the plan cost for the amount of time you will be here and that's it. If you plan on staying for an extended period of time you can setup AutoPay by adding your credit card via your selfserve account.

You can also do it on your own by visiting the get started page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

Just one caution. Does PM accept a credit card from another country for auto-pay?

The reason I caution is that my old Tracfone would not accept a Canadian credit card (I tried 3 different ones) so I had to cross the line, buy a voucher using my Canadian credit card, then top it up. So American!

88cranston

The reason I caution is that my old Tracfone would not accept a Canadian credit card (I tried 3 different ones) so I had to cross the line, buy a voucher using my Canadian credit card, then top it up. So American! (<= No offence made to Americans in General...but to the stupidity of Tracfone)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ober wrote:

As above...I have fun thinking of it as like in the movies with what they call burner phones. You just need a valid email address that you can check for the Welcome email and password changes.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ober 

Good news is that you need no documentation.  It is a prepaid account.  You could put any name, address.  No ID or credit check.  Just need to pay the phone bill.  

You could activate in store at one of the vendors.  Or you could buy a SIM card and activate online.  

Need Help? Let's chat.