cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus6 Not Receiving messages from iPhones

kbradbeer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just recently my OnePlus6 stopped receiving text messages from iPhones. On the sending iPhone the text looks like a blue iMessage & says "Delivered" instead of a green message. Had been working properly for weeks.

Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the detailed suggestions, @CalgaryBen!  @kbradbeer, please update us when you get a moment, to let us know if these suggestions helped.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, @kbradbeer, I should mention that the above procedure (to de-register your phone number) is worth trying even if you didn't put the SIM into an iPhone, just for good measure.

If the problem persists, then my question is whether you happen to have an iCloud ID/email, and whether you have/had an iOS device (e.g. iPad)?  It's extremely likely that your wife has you in her Contacts list with both your phone number and iCloud email listed, and her iPhone is choosing the iCloud delivery channel.

To troubleshoot this part, have her or other senders send you a message, then while viewing the conversation thread, tap on your name at the top (will have a > sign to the right of the name).  Some options will pop up below the name, and the sender should tap on the "info".  Next, if they can tap on the ">" near your contact info at the top, this will open up your contact card, with all the modes of contact below.  You'll see a rectangle containing "RECENT", showing where the current messaging is going... this will give you clues as to where the iPhone is delivering iMessages.  As far as actual resolution... well, it depends on what's in the Contact card; deleting certain entries (and perhaps creating a second contact with them) might be the way to go.

Good luck!

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kbradbeer wrote:

Just recently my OnePlus6 stopped receiving text messages from iPhones. On the sending iPhone the text looks like a blue iMessage & says "Delivered" instead of a green message. Had been working properly for weeks.

Any thoughts?

Let me guess -- you put your SIM card into an iPhone (or someone borrowed your SIM) to test, recently?  You can confirm by seeing any sent SMS to 474663 in your usage history in the self-serve portal.  If so, then the iPhone would've sent an SMS to the Apple iMessage servers, saying "hey, I'm ###-###-#### and I want to register for iMessage!".  Subsequently when iPhones go to message you, they ask the iMessage server, "hey, is ###-###-#### in your database and registered for iMessage?"

Anyway, long story short, it sounds like that's what's happening, and you'll need to de-register your phone number from the iMessage database.  Do so using this link:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Scroll down to the bottom half, enter your phone number, and click "Send Code".  It will SMS you a code, and you can then de-register by entering the correct code as confirmation that you've specified the correct number to remove.

Hope that works!

Get the iPhone user to check your contact listing in their phone.  Make sure phone number is listed as a cell or home phone, and not iPhone.

Not sure if this setting still exists as I remember it.

Either that, or find the option to ‘send as SMS’ on the contact file.

kbradbeer

Will also add that I have two sims in the phone. The Bell one for work is behaving exactly the same - receiving text messages from iPhones no problem. It's only the Public mobile one that isn't working. Tried powering off, removing sim, restart - no change. Nothing has changed on the phone since it was setup 3 weeks ago.

kbradbeer

@srlawrenChecked on my wife's phone & that was already on. Weird thing is it had been working perfectly for about 3 weeks and all of a sudden on Saturday, stops.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@kbradbeer Try turning off iMessage on iPhone and then send text. It should go through via SMS instead of iMessage. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kbradbeer did the iPhone user change their iMessage settings?  They need to be sure they have it set to deliver over SMS / MMS when iMessage isn't available (such as when chatting with you on your Android device).  I'm an Android guy myself so can't explain further than this, but I'm tagging @CalgaryBen and @Luddite to see if they can provider further guidance on the iMessage configuration.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.