cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One iPhone 6 - two sim cards when travelling in the USA or Mexico

Whisper
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to the concept of switching sim cards.   I will be travelling in Alaska in the summer for 6 weeks and I am considering buying a local (GCI or AT & T) sim card when I get there.  My question is concerning how complicated it will be to get my phone working in AK and then to get it back over to Public Mobile when I get back to BC.    Is it simply a matter of pulling one out and putting the other back in?

From what I have read on this forum the PM roaming is not very reliable (yet anyway).    Any help will be much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Koyabtx

All it takes is to literally take your PM sim card out, place the US sim in and you're good to go! Most iPhones once they connect to the network automatically download the network settings and APN's so you're good to go. And when you're back, just put your PM sim card back in and give it a couple seconds to refresh it's network and settings :)! 

All else fails, the usual turning phone off and on will fix any network problems!

mikuck23

if you bought it unlocked from the start you should be able to.

Some of the newer firmware wont allow you to, but the iphone 6 is old enough that you may be able to manually change it

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mikuck23 wrote:

just switch sims when you arrive there and when you come back switch back sim. All your public mobile settings should remain and work intact.  When you arrive in Alaska and use their sim, you may have to configure your iphone APN settings to make the internet work.  But on the swap back you shouldn't have to adjust anything

Can you manually change APN settings on an iPhone 6?

mikuck23

just switch sims when you arrive there and when you come back switch back sim. All your public mobile settings should remain and work intact.  When you arrive in Alaska and use their sim, you may have to configure your iphone APN settings to make the internet work.  But on the swap back you shouldn't have to adjust anything

sandpublic

Like most of  previous posts mentioned there shouldn't be a problem and you just have to switch SIM cards 

If for any reason you need to rest your network settings here is  a video to show you how to do that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+reset+network+settings+on+an+iphone+6&oq=how+to+reset+network...

ZfromVanC

@Whisper wrote:

Thanks!   I have an iPhone 6.     Would like be likely to cause any issues?

I dont think so. I just switched my iPhone 5S sim card the other day without any issues. 

Whisper

Thanks!   I have an iPhone 6.     Would like be likely to cause any issues?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Whisper  - Generally speaking, you should be able to swap SIM cards when you get there, and put back you PM SIM when you get back.  The only thing that comes to mind owuld be if you have an LG phone.  Some of those get their network setting messed up when you switch carrier.

Network reset if needed is not so bad.  It's factory reset that is a real difficult one to deal with.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Whisper  - Generally speaking, you should be able to swap SIM cards when you get there, and put back you PM SIM when you get back.  The only thing that comes to mind owuld be if you have an LG phone.  Some of those get their network setting messed up when you switch carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.