cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old cell activation

lee682
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an old cell phone that I am wanting to activate with public mobile, my question is am I able to activate this cell even though there’s no cell number or do I need to have a number from another provider?

Forgot to mention the cell is an iPhone6, unlocked and was already used with public mobile, the old owner bought a new one and is giving this one to his grandmother

12 REPLIES 12

@lee682 

If the iPhone6 was very recently used on pm then it probably wont even need updates but her grandson should make sure he removes his info and apple id and help set up the phone with a new apple id for his grandmother so there are no issues accessing itunes, the apple store and data.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@lee682 Hi. No, no need for a number from another provider. Just buy a new PM sim and activate it using that old phone. Then create a new PM self-service account using a new email address. You are good to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite wrote:

Just for your more complete understanding; it is not the phone that is activated but the SIM. The activated SIM can be used in any unlocked, or locked Telus/Koodo, phone.

@Luddite 

The activated SIM can be used in any unlocked, compatible phone. Or locked Telus/Koodo phone.

(fixed it for ya 🙂 )

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@lee682 wrote:

I have an old cell phone that I am wanting to activate with public mobile, my question is am I able to activate this cell even though there’s no cell number or do I need to have a number from another provider?

Forgot to mention the cell is an iPhone6, unlocked and was already used with public mobile, the old owner bought a new one and is giving this one to his grandmother

Emphasis added. The short answer is no; you do not need a number from a different provider.

Just activate a new PM SIM and put it into the phone. Get a referral code from someone for a credit of $10 on the new account.

Just for your more complete understanding; it is not the phone that is activated but the SIM. The activated SIM can be used in any unlocked, or locked Telus/Koodo, phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to purchase a PM sim and setup a new account.  You can buy a new at Canadiancellsupplies.com.

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lee682 wrote:

@lee682 hi if it is an iphone 6 andwas used here before then you should be good to go!!😁

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@lee682 wrote:

hi @lee682 , Well it sounds like you are good to obtain a PM SIM card and get the new phone number upon activation.  🙂

Public mobile uses these frequencies @lee682  if your phone isn't on the lis. The 3g ones are required  for talk. They must be there for your phone to work.

Public Mobile 3G & 4G Frequencies.
3G Frequencies 850 MHz, Band 5 (UMTS/ HSPA).1900MHz, Band 2 (UMTS/ HSPA).

4G Frequencies 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).
                             700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).

Here is an article on on the refer a friend reward. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward . By having someone refer you, you get a $10 credit. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe.

If you require a sim card an option is to buy your SIM card from Canadian cell supplies https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products/products/public-sim-card . Currently they are $2.99 each.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lee682 

How old is your cellphone?  What is the make and name of your old phone?

If it is a CDMA phone without SIM card, it cannot be used with any providers in Canada.  All Canadian providers are using SIM card phone with IMEI number.

If you have an old cellphone supports only GSM/2G only from Rogers/Fido/Chatr, you cannot use with PM as PM use 3G for voice call.

You can get a new phone number from PM during activation.  You don't need to port your old number to PM if you don't want to.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You need to make sure the phone is compatible with PM networks and also make sure the phone is unlocked and not reported as stolen.

What phone is it anyway ?

https://willmyphonework.net/

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@lee682 wrote:

@lee682 hello you can pick a new number at activation just make sure your phone is unlocked 

Need Help? Let's chat.