cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transferred

Evankevin123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everyone, I just swapped to public earlier today. About 12 hours ago now. I have ported my number over from bell and it works now for outbound calls, and texting works both ways. But I can't text long distance numbers, and can't receive calls, any ideas on what I should check? Data is all working as well.

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evankevin123 wrote:

Thanks! Just got this message a little bit ago and now all seems good. This community already seems great, got so many responses right away! 

Don't let anybody tell you there's no support around here.

Sure yeah you'd wait a bit for account fixes or deeper technical issues but how often do you need those.

Evankevin123

Thanks! Just got this message a little bit ago and now all seems good. This community already seems great, got so many responses right away! 

@LieuxYou do dial the country code 1 is the country code for US + Canada. 011 is the exit code. Since exit codes varies from place to place (some places uses the same one eg North America uses 011), the + tells the dialer to figure out which exit code to use, HOWEVER the problem comes with how the phone figure out which exit code to us, a lot of the times is a mixture of GPS and time zone etc, think about it as the phone version of localization like $ format. Thats where it gets tricky, my experience is Apple is the gold standard, Android can be weird, hence I ask OP which phone he is using.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@liuxinbing wrote:

whenever trying long distance with country code, NEVER use 011. Always use +

the prefix of country code differs. Some are 00, some are 900, some are 001. If the phone was made/used in other coutries other than north america, 011 may not work. However + always works.

You're talking about the country _exit_ code. One needs to dial an exit code to get out of the country you're in. For Canada/US that's 011. The benefit of the + is for traveling and getting a different SIM somewhere and using your contacts and being able to connect with those contacts. Put the + in front and you can. Otherwise you would indeed have to know all the different exit codes. But if you don't travel and you wish to call people internationally then you can simply use the 011.

@liuxinbing wrote:

the prefix of country code differs. Some are 00, some are 900, some are 001. If the phone was made/used in other coutries other than north america, 011 may not work. However + always works.

I don't understand how it could be ok to call without the coutry code...???

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ClaudeR

Usually, they give you a PIN to unlock your phone and you can do it by yourself.

If not, ask them to do it immediately.

ClaudeR

Good morning!

It might very well be a problem with unlocking your phone.

I suggest that you reach your former provider...

The number is transferred yes, but too often, the problem resides in the phones still being locked.

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It really sounds like a porting number problem. Seems like the port has not fully completed at this time. It can take up to a1 day to 3 days for ports to happen sometimes. Typically though if it ius a cell number your are porting into Public Mobile it is fairly quick ( within a few minutes). You many have to power off your cell for the port to fully work. Also if you have tour bell SIM card I would put it in the phone and call myself from another active phone line on the old bell number ( the one you are trying to port into Public Mobile). If the cell phone with the bell SIM in it rings , then the port is not completed just yet. If the phone with the bell SIM does not ring then it was most likely a porting issue. In this case you will need to contact the moderators of Public Mobile and explain your issue. They will need ypou old bell account number and the pin to that account if you had one and the old bell cell number you are trying to port into Public Mobile. 

Cheers. 

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Evankevin123 It sounds like a problem with the port, you will need to contact the moderators, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

If the port is complete you should ge a message like this.. I would give it a bit of time. Incoming to voicemail is normal during the process.

Also when you go to bed.. power down your phone and reboot when you get up.. it takes a while for network to push instructions to towers then to phones.. if there is any issues PM will text you telling you some pieces are missing.

IMG_0001.PNG

Evankevin123

I am using a Razer Phone 2, the number I am have tried texting does not have and prefix other than the area code being 251. I am less concerned about that, more about not receiving inbound calls, it makes me think the porting of my number might not have worked properly, when people call me it says call forwarded and then goes to voicemail. Just heading to bed and will check when I get up to see if anyone has anything they can recommend I try.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Evankevin123What kind of phone are you using? Are you using 011 or + as a suffix for the number you are trying to text? (try 011)

Need Help? Let's chat.