cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer problem

Rkeller17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey there,

I am trying to help my mom transfer her number from her old provider to public moblie and it’s been over two hours and it still doesn’t seem to be working, when we put the public mobile sim car in her phone it is coming up with SIM card is not supported, we have put the old sim back in and she no longer has service and we are both getting frustrated and can’t figure out what to try next... Help us please!! 

7 REPLIES 7

mikelab088

turn the phone on and off 

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rkeller17 wrote:

Hey there,

I am trying to help my mom transfer her number from her old provider to public moblie and it’s been over two hours and it still doesn’t seem to be working, when we put the public mobile sim car in her phone it is coming up with SIM card is not supported, we have put the old sim back in and she no longer has service and we are both getting frustrated and can’t figure out what to try next... Help us please!! 

Sim card not supported means you are iPhone is Locked to your Previous Provider. Public Mobile has completed its part and your Public Mobile services are working. It is not Public Mobile Fault nor can they help you unlock the iPhone. If you previous Provider is Fido and or Rogers unlocking should be Painless but if it's the scummy company Bell/Virgin then I wish you Good luck. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Rkeller17 wrote:

Hey there,

@Rkeller17 The fact that the old sim card does not work anymore suggests that the phone port has completed. Once the phone is unlocked it should start working.

Rkeller17

Ok thanks she is just in the process of getting her phone unlocked but I will try the SIM card in my phone in the meantime then.

@Rkeller17If your mom is using an iPhone 7.. then your mom's phone is still locked to the older provider. I highly recommend trying your mom's Public Mobile SIM card to make sure it is working ie can dial etc on another known working phone.. as it can be 2 issues. It is also best to backup the phone to iCloud and restore from it, and start the setup fresh.

Rkeller17

Hey,

my mom has an iPhone 7, no I haven’t cause wasn’t sure if it would screw my phone up. I will get her to contact her old provider to see if it’s unlocked.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@Rkeller17 What kind of phone your mom has? Have you try swapping the Public Mobile SIM card into your own phone to see if that works? Depending on the phone, your mom's current phone might be locked to her old provider.. Yes the law say phones can be unlocked, but usually you have to contact the old provider to get it unlocked.
Need Help? Let's chat.