cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number seems to be ported but still active on old provider

Kat902
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I set up my Public Mobile account yesterday and ported my number from Bell. Everything seems to have worked - the sim card is working, I can make calls on Public Mobile and the phone number listed on my account details is the one that I have ported. I called my old provider, Bell,  to close the account and they say the phone number is still active on their network and that by closing the account I'll lose the number. When the number is ported successfully the account will be closed automatically. Not sure how it is possible to have the number active on both networks - any help would be appreciated. I'm nervous to tell Bell to close the account as I'd like to keep the number. 

9 REPLIES 9

@Kat902 wrote:

Not sure how it is possible to have the number active on both networks - any help would be appreciated. I'm nervous to tell Bell to close the account as I'd like to keep the number. 

The number isn't actually really active on both networks in the sense that the carrier databases in that case would have all pointed back to Bell. As for the ported number being shown when you place an outgoing call, Telus/Public Mobile is essentially spoofing the number under the assumption that number porting will soon be completed. This a fundamental difference between how Telus, and let's say Rogers, handles number porting. Telus automatically assigns the ported number to your account before it has actually been transfered, and before the other carrier even looks at the request. Rogers, on the other hand as an example, only changes the number after porting has completed. Personally, I think that Telus should change the way that they do it, but theyve beeen doing it this way for years.

Kat902

Thanks @Dunkman! The link you provided was very helpful. I think in my excitement I may have put the new SIM card in before replying to the porting message that was sent. Will try putting the old card back in and having the request sent again. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

called the Port number as what suggested earlier.

if it is done properly, you should not need to call Bell to close the account.  Once the number is ported successfully, it should close the account itself.

did you try calling yourself and did PM phone ring or was it Bell?  

I got similar issue when I ported my number.  Called the Porting hotline and they told me it was stuck halfway.   They trigger the process again and it was done within half and hour.

@Kat902 

Then you will need to call Telus porting team as described above.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Here is additional information.

Kat902

Thanks for the idea. I got my wife to call my phone and it goes straight to voicemail. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Kat902 wrote:

I set up my Public Mobile account yesterday and ported my number from Bell. Everything seems to have worked - the sim card is working, I can make calls on Public Mobile and the phone number listed on my account details is the one that I have ported. I called my old provider, Bell,  to close the account and they say the phone number is still active on their network and that by closing the account I'll lose the number. When the number is ported successfully the account will be closed automatically. Not sure how it is possible to have the number active on both networks - any help would be appreciated. I'm nervous to tell Bell to close the account as I'd like to keep the number. 

@Kat902 hello as suggested above get someone to call to see if you receive a call on the number being ported

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Kat902 wrote:

According to CRTC rules, your account will be closed automatically once the port is complete.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

• As soon as your current service provider receives the notice of cancellation from your new provider, they will cancel your services immediately. Alternatively, you can ask to have your services cancelled at a later date.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kat902 wrote:

@Kat902  hi the important thing is can you receive incoming calls? if not if you are having an issue with a port call the porting team ***

Need Help? Let's chat.