cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting with a foreign area code

amandachloe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't have a public mobile plan yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to port a number from a different province and still have the plan work. For example, could I keep my Ontario cell number while living in Quebec and receive a phone plan that works with it? How long does the number porting work? And where can I get a SIM card?

12 REPLIES 12

@ChuckYeah  Gee aren't you flouting it in the face of authority. You know the referral cop is patrolling the mean streets of the community waving his big night stick.

Are you willing to risk a public beat down?

Some locals will have to dial a ported "out of province" number as (+1) long distance.

But these days everything is becoming Canada-wide Talk and Text... Province-wide and Zone-based restrictions do exist on some low-cost Plans but there are always other ways (even other phones) for these people to communicate when you should call them. So it's not much of a problem in the real world, unless you have tech-dinosaur parents who stubbornly refuse to change how things always worked in past decades. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@amandachloe wrote:

I don't have a public mobile plan yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to port a number from a different province and still have the plan work. For example, could I keep my Ontario cell number while living in Quebec and receive a phone plan that works with it? 

Yes you can port your ON number and use it without any issues across Canada. 

How long does the number porting work?

Number porting takes a couple of hours to complete when porting from another wireless provider and up to a week when porting a landline or VOIP number.

And where can I get a SIM card?

From the PM website, Amazon and eBay. You can also purchase an account from authorized retailers. Best to go to the main Public mobile website and click on the get started link for a step to step guide on how to get started.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@amandachloe 

1.  No problem to transfer a number from another province to PM account with other province number.  I activated an account with AB number to pay AB tax.  Then, I ported my sister's Qc number to his account.  I will buy topup voucher in AB for her account with Qc number and pay AB tax.

Depends if Public has phone numbers for that place in Ontario that @amandachloe has a number for. A new customer can't port in a number from an Ontario city if Public Mobile doesn't give out phone number from there.

Agree.  I updated my post.  I was porting a QC Telus prepaid number to a PM account with an AB number.

@popping wrote:

@amandachloe 

1.  No problem to transfer a number from another province to PM account with other province number.  I activated an account with AB number to pay AB tax.  Then, I ported my sister's Qc number to his account.  I will buy topup voucher in AB for her account with Qc number and pay AB tax.

Depends if Public has phone numbers for that place in Ontario that @amandachloe has a number for. A new customer can't port in a number from an Ontario city if Public Mobile doesn't give out phone number from there.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@amandachloe 

1.  No problem to transfer a number from another province to PM account with other province number.  I activated an account with AB number to pay AB tax.  Then, I ported my sister's Qc Telus prepaid number to this account.  I will buy topup voucher in AB for her account with Qc number and pay AB tax.

2.  My son has an AB number and is living in Vancouver.  With the AB number, he is paying AB tax, NOT BC tax.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you go to a PM kiosk they will give you sim for free if you let them active it. Your number can be used anywhere you want in country. Keep in mind if family and friends don't have Canada wide calling they will be charged long distance. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@amandachloe wrote:

I don't have a public mobile plan yet, but I was wondering if I'd be able to port a number from a different province and still have the plan work. For example, could I keep my Ontario cell number while living in Quebec and receive a phone plan that works with it? How long does the number porting work? And where can I get a SIM card?

People will be calling your old number. That will make some people pay to call and they will refuse. It is a good idea to get a phone number local to where you live.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@amandachloe yes, you can use a phone number from one Canadian province in another.

Porting is usually completed within 1 hour, but there can be delays.

SIM can be bought online or at Walmart, Wow! and a few other retailers.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can order here on the website or Amazon.

If you want to get it faster you could check your local Walmart London drugs wow mobile, I'll find you the link to the list. 

Sometimes Walmart gives free sim if you activate in store.

Who is your previous provider?

Here is a nice list compiled by our town hero. Thanks @pm-smayer97 for the great list

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

PM plans are Canada wide, so I can't see an issue with that. Want a referral code, just ask.

Need Help? Let's chat.