cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Number ported, SIM activated, but unable to enter APN settings

@gfawley wrote:

I've installed the app "Mobile Network Settings" - and it doesn't see the SIM card at all (even though I've reinserted the SIM card a few times)
And, yes, this whole thing doesn't make sense (I'm running Android version 9 fyi)

Tomorrow I may try doing a factory reset and see what happens.

Thanks for the update. Did you get this phone as a used phone? Or new?

Is it a stock system? Or did you root it and install a different ROM? Do you have other non-stock OS things installed? (not apps)

I guess you could uninstall that app now.

Obviously you'll backup your data somewhere somehow before that reset if you like your data.

Edit: lol...someone discovered that if they change the language then the menu item appears and is functional. Worth a shot I guess before that reset.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

small rural community,  eh?

crazy question,  is your house in a dead zone?  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

To answer a few people's questions/suggestions:

my phone is not rooted

no other non-stock OS things installed

full bars for reception (PC Mobile works off Telus system in our area and has worked fine for the last 10+ years) so we are not in a dead-zone

will be trying a factory reset when I have a chance today (I may be at home, but I normally work from home and am actually busy this time of year - so it is frustrating to spend so much time on getting my phone to work with this new SIM and on the PM network).

The app "Mobile Networks" doesn't even recognize that I have a SIM card installed, so am beginning to think that it might be a faulty SIM card (if it isn't my phone).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Highlighted

@gfawley wrote:

full bars for reception (PC Mobile works off Telus system in our area and has worked fine for the last 10+ years) so we are not in a dead-zone

drat.  I had hoped it was a simple fix.

Highlighted

I was finally able to get another unlocked phone to try the SIM card in. Works fine. So now I know for sure it is my phone and not the SIM. I'm thinking it is probably the SIM card in the SIM card tray mustn't be making contact enough inside the phone, or something is wrong with the contacts in the phone. Not a great time to be looking for a new phone, but I guess I have no choice.

Thanks for everyone's input & suggestions.

Highlighted

@gfawley wrote:

I was finally able to get another unlocked phone to try the SIM card in. Works fine. So now I know for sure it is my phone and not the SIM. I'm thinking it is probably the SIM card in the SIM card tray mustn't be making contact enough inside the phone, or something is wrong with the contacts in the phone. Not a great time to be looking for a new phone, but I guess I have no choice.

Thanks for everyone's input & suggestions.

Can you spray some compressed air into the sim card tray to clean the contacts?

Highlighted

Hey - it is worth a try as I can't imagine it will hurt the phone. I'll let you know if it helps at all.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gfawley wrote:

I was finally able to get another unlocked phone to try the SIM card in. Works fine. So now I know for sure it is my phone and not the SIM.

Well, while not the ideal scenario, at least you've partially figured out where the problem lies.

I'm thinking it is probably the SIM card in the SIM card tray mustn't be making contact enough inside the phone, or something is wrong with the contacts in the phone. Not a great time to be looking for a new phone, but I guess I have no choice.

This is a somewhat common issue - I've seen it on these forums a few times, and my wife's old Samsung Galaxy S3 had that issue. Unfortunately, with having a phone with a SIM tray, it's a little more difficult to fix, whereas with my wife's S3, all I did, was cut a piece of paper slightly larger than the SIM, and placed it on top of the SIM, while inserting both the SIM and paper into the SIM slot..... basically, all it was doing, was adding a little bit extra downwards pressure on the SIM, and forcing it to make contact with the phone's contacts in the SIM slot.

I suggest doing a search, both on these forums, and on the 'net, for that issue, because I have read that some folks here have fixed a similar issue with their SIM trays. You might also want to shine a light, if possible, into the SIM tray area, and maybe use a magnifying glass, to see if you can spot an issue with the contacts inside the phone.