cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number ported, SIM activated, but unable to enter APN settings

gfawley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have set up an account with PM, had my number ported, SIM activated, and had contact with a moderator. I have not been able to get my phone to work (Samsung Galaxy S8). Tried to change my APN settings, but told to go to "Settings, More, Access Point Names, etc" - but on my phone under Settings there is no "More" and I can not find where the APN settings are. I've tried reinserting the SIM card, rebooted the phone numerous times, I've tried to search for APN, Access Point,  Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, Network Settings, etc. but still cannot find these settings. When I go to SIM card Status - everything shows "Not available".  Noticed that under IMS registration status is shows 'not registered'. I have sent moderator, but the only replies have said that the number has been ported and the SIM activated, along with the instructions on what to change the APN settings to. No reply to my further messages, so have been unable to get my phone working. Anyone else had this problem? (So far, I'm not too impressed with PM and their 'customer service').

38 REPLIES 38

gfawley

Have tried doing a network reset, then rebooted. No difference.

@gfawley wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but...

Under SIM card status - everything shows as Not Available

Tried making a phone call - says "Not registered on network"

Cannot locate "network settings"

Is there something wrong with my phone or the SIM card? It was working no problem before I ported over to PM.

@gfawley 
One way to find out is to put the SIM card in another phone.  This helps determine whether hardware issue/setup versus PM service problem.  

@gfawley how long ago, and from whom did you port your number?  

tricks to restart your phone service. You could try in order:
1. Restarting your phone. Turn your phone off, wait 30 seconds and restart.
2.Putting your phone on aeroplane mode for 5 minutes. Take it off and restart.
3.From your self service account enable the lost/ stolen feature log out, wait 5    minutes, log in and take it off. Log out and restart your phone.
4. Add a one time payment and of $1 To your account and restart your phone .

If these tricks don't work contact a moderator and ask them to reset your SIM. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification in your email INBOX.
My settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

gfawley

Thanks for the suggestions, but...

Under SIM card status - everything shows as Not Available

Tried making a phone call - says "Not registered on network"

Cannot locate "network settings"

Is there something wrong with my phone or the SIM card? It was working no problem before I ported over to PM.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@gfawley wrote:

I have set up an account with PM, had my number ported, SIM activated, and had contact with a moderator. I have not been able to get my phone to work (Samsung Galaxy S8). Tried to change my APN settings, but told to go to "Settings, More, Access Point Names, etc" - but on my phone under Settings there is no "More" and I can not find where the APN settings are. I've tried reinserting the SIM card, rebooted the phone numerous times, I've tried to search for APN, Access Point,  Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, Network Settings, etc. but still cannot find these settings. When I go to SIM card Status - everything shows "Not available".  Noticed that under IMS registration status is shows 'not registered'. I have sent moderator, but the only replies have said that the number has been ported and the SIM activated, along with the instructions on what to change the APN settings to. No reply to my further messages, so have been unable to get my phone working. Anyone else had this problem? (So far, I'm not too impressed with PM and their 'customer service').

Who was your last provider...Can you confirm if the phone is unlocked now .

@gfawley please tell us if the information provided worked or if it failed, so that we can continue to  help you. Thanks.

Sometimes Samsung phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory one.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@gfawley 

Does your text, talk work?  

APN settings is important for data. 

Maybe try network reset.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@gfawley Use this link to see how to access your APN settings. 

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/samsung/galaxy-s8/android-7-0/guides/22/Set-up-Internet-...

And these are the APN settings to use

Screenshot_20200323-162159.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.