cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of rings before voice mail?

MikeCheck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I'm new to Public Mobile, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but is there a way to set the number of rings on my phone before it goes to voice mail?

I have this feature on my landline, and just wondering if it can be done on my mobile.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @Trishjla this no longer works as conduction forwarding is not working anymore 

I think you meant "conditional" forwarding. 😉 -Which has been broken since the introduction of VoLTE service in early 2023. "Unconditional" forwarding (all calls) can still be set though...

Trishjla
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks.

hi @Trishjla this no longer works as conditional forwarding is not working anymore 

Trishjla
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Having trouble getting it to work

Tried from geopublic but it didn't work  (I have the voicemail number)

For the number of seconds to wait - choose from the following options:

1. For one ring, enter 5.
  2. For two rings, enter 10.
  3. For three rings, enter 15.
  4. For four rings, enter 20.
  5. For five rings, enter 25.
  6. For six rings, enter 30 (This is the maximum number of rings/seconds).

SAMPLE: *61*16475804001*11*20#[SEND or CALL] - sets your phone to ring four times (20 seconds) before going to your voicemail. Best to check mailbox.

I also tried this from jb456 and it also didn't work.  

**61*+1YourLocalNumberVoicemail*11*5#

The last digit 5 is 5 seconds till voicemail. Change it to a number you want in 5 increment up to 30.

Still no luck

I'm trying to shorten from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.

@Virago2000 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I got it and made the change after posting the message. Sent mine to 15 seconds. 

To my knowledge, this would set your timer to 15 seconds of "real" ringing.  Especially when a customer is in an area of weak reception or when the network suddenly loses all connection with the customer's device (example: underground), the network of the receiving device might spend several seconds (or sometimes a few minutes) trying to make the connection. In those types of cases, someone calling a Rogers customer could hear dead air before ringing starts.  I beleive that in the case of Telus, they may be playing back the ring sound before the actual connection to receiving device has been estbalished.  This means that it's possible that the outgoing caller may hear more than 15 seconds worth of rining sounds.

Virago2000

Thanks for the reply. I got it and made the change after posting the message. Sent mine to 15 seconds. 

@Virago2000 

they mean a star. make sure you're using your own area code when dialing. dial *#61# and a popup will show on your phone with details on how long it takes till the call gets forwarded to the voicemail 

Virago2000

Do you use the star or is it to mean space. When I use the star first I get a message that the call can not be completed.

Thanks for the mention @gpixel, it looks like @Jb456 & @geopublic have a handle on it. 🙂 Only thing I'd add is you can first query what your existing voicemail access number is, and use that when setting to keep it consistent - even though technically any of the local voicemail access numbers across Canada should work fine, including the one @geopublic referenced in Ontario. Also the "11" between the two stars is actually optional, so you can shorten the dial string slightly:

• Dial *#61# to see the current voicemail deposit number and delay time. I believe the default is 25 seconds. (5 rings)
  • If, for example, the voicemail deposit number shown is 204-588-4001 and you want to set the maximum ring time of 30 seconds, dial *61*2045884001**30#
  • Verify your setting was successful by again dialing *#61#

You can configure any amount of time from 5 seconds to 30 seconds in 5 second increments.

Here is an updated list of local voicemail access numbers across Canada for reference:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MikeCheck  Not sure if this will work with Public Mobile so give it a try and let us know if it works.  

The number of rings is determined by the 'number of seconds to wait' before forwarding the call to your voicemail. Get your PM voicemail number from your Phone Dialer settings.

Dial this sequence: *61 *16475804001*11 *[then enter number of seconds to wait] # [SEND or CALL].

For the number of seconds to wait - choose from the following options:

1. For one ring, enter 5.
  2. For two rings, enter 10.
  3. For three rings, enter 15.
  4. For four rings, enter 20.
  5. For five rings, enter 25.
  6. For six rings, enter 30 (This is the maximum number of rings/seconds).

SAMPLE: *61*16475804001*11*20#[SEND or CALL] - sets your phone to ring four times (20 seconds) before going to your voicemail. Best to check mailbox.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar is really good with this stuff

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Goes by seconds I believe not rings. 5 second increment up to 30.

Call your phone number from another phone and see how long it takes for voicemail to start.

Then try this.

**61*+1YourLocalNumberVoicemail*11*5#

The last digit 5 is 5 seconds till voicemail. Change it to a number you want in 5 increment up to 30.

Need Help? Let's chat.