cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number change

EHilde
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I chose to keep my old number when setting up my sim card, but someone else was already given my number. Now I can't get texts or calls because they all go to that person. What can I do about this without getting a new sim card?

5 REPLIES 5

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@EHilde wrote:

. What can I do about this without getting a new sim card?

@EHilde   Reading your post again, it sounds like you are trying to activate with your old PM sim card.  Were you a PM customer before and you stopped?

Yes, as @esjliv said, inactive account for 90 days will be cancelled.  In such case, you have to reactivate with a new SIM card and you will need to pick a new phone number

If you activate again, you can try to do it at a local Kiosk like Walmart or London Drugs, they might give you a free SIM if you activate there.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@EHilde wrote:

I chose to keep my old number when setting up my sim card, but someone else was already given my number. Now I can't get texts or calls because they all go to that person. What can I do about this without getting a new sim card?

Hello @EHilde ,

Old number from where...Public Mobile or another provider?

If this was a Public Mobile number/account that was suspended due to non-payment for over 90 days that phone number is GONE. So it may very well have been provided to someone else.

If this was another provider, the only way to move the number to a Public Mobile SIM card is to transfer it while it is still active with that other provider.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@EHilde 

I am surprised that someone got your old number if you ported over to PM. Your number is frozen for 3 months from your previous carrier.

Anyways as noted by others, you don’t need to get a new PM SIM and log into your Self Serve account just pick another number.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@EHilde wrote:

I chose to keep my old number when setting up my sim card, but someone else was already given my number. 

if you chose to keep your old number, you are porting your existing number you have from another provider, right?    What do you meant by someone else was already given the number?

you are really porting your existing number?  if so, this number must be a number with an active account in another provider, is it?    If the other account is already cancelled, you won't be able to port your number

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@EHilde , you can go into the self serve account and choose a new number yourself.  You don't need a new SIM card for that.  The how to with link is buried in this help article.  Just search for "change".

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Need Help? Let's chat.