cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not registered on network?

april26
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a sim, my phone is unlocked, the sim card is inserted. I activated the plan. I set up an access point (but can't find the instruction to check it is correct).  When I send a message, it just says sending. The phone says emergency calls only.  Sometime I get a circle with a bar through it. I don't know how to set this up. Who can help - REALLY simple instructions please!

I have an Android Galaxy tab A with LTE.

18 REPLIES 18

robertmay

i have had the same sim and phone for 2 years, but today i get the error "not registered on network", and am wondering if this could be the results of network problem?  it doesnt sound like something that could have changed with my phone or sim, as i havent changed anything in years.

@Ivim wrote:

I have the same issue. 

I'm in Canada 

Phone (Samsung 4) was locked (with fido). Now it's unlocked but, when I put public mobile Sim card, 

Make sure phone is set to automatic network. Make sure network type not set to 2g. Galaxy s4 from Fido is compatible with Public.   If it doesn't work, there could be a problem with the activation or sim card. Send a message the to moderator_team.

Ivim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same issue. 

I'm in Canada 

Phone (Samsung 4) was locked (with fido). Now it's unlocked but, when I put public mobile Sim card, 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @april26,

We've responded to your message. Please check your inbox.

Cheers,

Syed

@april26 wrote:
Thank you I did try "will my phone work".

It says it will work on 3G 850MHz, 1900MHz

There is a yellow tick under 4G?
Band40-2300MHz, Band7-2600MHz

Is 3G enough to make phone calls, receive phone calls, send international text messages if possible, and use my data (mostly for maps)

Yes, all services work over Public Mobile's 3g network.   Phone calls do not work on the LTE network.

april26
Thank you I did try "will my phone work".

It says it will work on 3G 850MHz, 1900MHz

There is a yellow tick under 4G?
Band40-2300MHz, Band7-2600MHz

Is 3G enough to make phone calls, receive phone calls, send international text messages if possible, and use my data (mostly for maps)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@april26 wrote:

Hi William - I found this not far form me - will this work with the public mobile sim I already have.

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers--and--tablets/ipad-devices--and--tablets/tablets/samsung-ga...

If it's shown to work with Telus or Bell and their sub-carriers then it should work here.

You can check willmyphonework.net as well (if that hasn't already been mentioned)

Edit: I looked at your links...those are just tablets, not phones.

Edit: @april26: Will13am has pointed out a budget phone down in The Lounge.

@april26 wrote:

Thank you - I checked with Samsung and they confirmed I will need to purchase a new phone to use this sim:-(  I am told I need to look for a pre-paid one that is unlocked.

I know that frequency compatibility was mentioned earlier, and how phones aren't locked in South Africa.  Phones generally aren't locked any more in Canada any more, although I know that Bell wants to change that,  but even here, Samsung does region-lock cell phones.  This means that while these devices are not locked to one specific carrier, some are restricted to using carriers within a certain geographical area.  It's possible that your phone is not allowed to be used (based on Samsung region lock policies) in North America.

april26

Hi William - I found this not far form me - will this work with the public mobile sim I already have.

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers--and--tablets/ipad-devices--and--tablets/tablets/samsung-ga...

otherwise this also have this one at another mall near me. Slightly more, but I think it is my current tablet

april26

Thank you - I checked with Samsung and they confirmed I will need to purchase a new phone to use this sim:-(  I am told I need to look for a pre-paid one that is unlocked.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@april26 wrote:

no, only searching. And this "EXT" that doesn't appear to work. I am updating my android software just in case, but I don't think that is the issue.

I gave the sim to a friend who put it in another android device and he says i"the sim looks fine" (I didn't actually see what he did).

I didn't mention, I am a visitor from South Africa. Locking phones isn't legal in SA, but I guess that doesn't mean they don't do it! I check with a friend (iPhone tech guy), and he says networks don't do that. My normal service provider is a South fFrican ISP Vodacom, and the phone has Vodaphone apps so I'm guessing the two operators might be linked.

EXT = Extended Coverage = roaming on Rogers.

Since PM does not have roaming in Canada add-on, you cannot use the EXT network.

As other community members already pointed out that your phone does not have the correct frequencies to work with PM/Telus network.

sulagok
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @april26,

As @will13am had mentioned, it's probably the bandwidth compatibility issue. I remember when I first moved to Canada too, all the phones we brought were not working as they opperate within different bands. Likewise, I have some friends who moved from Nigeria too and the phones weren't working except one of the black berry phone they brought.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@april26, there's a couple of problems affecting your use of the service.  Crucially, the 3G and LTE bands in South Africa are totally different from those used in Canada.  You won't be able to connect to the network using a device that's made for the South African market.  Canada uses 850 and 1900 MHz for 3G.  Our main LTE bands is 1700 MHz.  Another issue is using a tablet as a phone doesn't work that will.  Tablets don't include software to support making phone calls.  Sorry about the bad news.  I hope you enjoy your time in Canada anyway.

https://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=SOUTH+AFRICA

https://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=Canada

april26

no, only searching. And this "EXT" that doesn't appear to work. I am updating my android software just in case, but I don't think that is the issue.

I gave the sim to a friend who put it in another android device and he says i"the sim looks fine" (I didn't actually see what he did).

I didn't mention, I am a visitor from South Africa. Locking phones isn't legal in SA, but I guess that doesn't mean they don't do it! I check with a friend (iPhone tech guy), and he says networks don't do that. My normal service provider is a South fFrican ISP Vodacom, and the phone has Vodaphone apps so I'm guessing the two operators might be linked.

APN can be anything, depends on what network you are connected.

On the list available network, do you see Public Mobile or "Home" something like that, and try to connect to it first, before data would work, which is what the APN setting is about.

Try to connect to public network first.

april26

If I select Access Point Names I get

Koodo

Mobile internet (sp.mb.com)

Public Mobile (sp,mb.com)

Telus ISP (isp.telus.com)

Telus SP (sp.telus.com)

Tethered mobile internet (isp.mb.com)

april26

I go to Settings, More networks > mobile networks > Mobile data is ticked. Network mode is WCDMA/GSM autoconnect.

(At this point I can go to Access Point NAmes.)

I click on Network Operators and it says "searching"Then I get AVAILABLE NEtWORKS.

Search Networks (if I click it returns to this set)

Select automatically (if I click it it says automatic registration and then returns to this screen)

EXT (if I select this it says registering and then "unable to connect, try later)

It this the screen you mean - should it say something other then EXT?

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Not registered means, you are NOT connected to public mobile network.  

You need to go into network setting, try to use manual search and connect to public mobile network.  You need to connect to cell network before you can test if your apn is correct for data.    But the first thing will work after connected is phone call, test this first.  

Need Help? Let's chat.