cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving texts from some friends

Bradoyo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why might I not be receiving texts from some people anymore? Just a day or two ago I was, but now they’re letting me know that their texts aren’t even going through and indicating as “sent” to me.

thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

OnePlusFan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Something similar happened to me, I was sending texts but the other person didn't receive them. He had a work number and personal number and I had started a SMS chat to his work number that he got rid of so obviously he wasn't receiving the messages on his personal phone. If you have changed your number, make sure your friends are texting the correct number. This might be the issue, hopefully it's not some strange complicated issue. Good luck!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Bradoyo wrote:

Why might I not be receiving texts from some people anymore? Just a day or two ago I was, but now they’re letting me know that their texts aren’t even going through and indicating as “sent” to me.

The sender sees the message as "sent" once it's been received by the network.  The message then sits around until the phone it's looking for reports it received the message or the message expires (after 24 hours?).  The problem is carrier-side - for the sender, the recipient, or something in the network hardware in between.

I used to see this a lot on Virgin Mobile.  Some messages never arrived.  Others arrived out of order or many hours/days after they were no longer relevant.  It turns out that Virgin/Bell have somewhat terrible service in my area (for whatever reason), this problem affects many people around here, there's no way to really fix it other than to change carriers or change location (to be in service range of different cell towers).

Most SMS apps have user settings for message receipts.  You can know when the message has been received.  You can know when the message has been read.

iPhones run iMessage by default so they're fairly immune to "lost" message annoyances.

Android users can install SMS apps which are better than the generic SMS app embedded in the operating system, some of them circumvent or augment normal SMS protocols enough to be fairly immune to "lost" message annoyances.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If you are not blocking your friends accidentally you may try to use different app 

Which networks are they on?

Try also restarting your phone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Could the problem be at the sending service provider?  It seems abnormal for text not even being sent being blocked at the sender. 

If you're using an android phone it is a relatively common occurrence with some default messaging apps.

@Triguy wrote:

Check to make sure you did not accidently block their numbers from your texting app

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check to make sure you did not accidently block their numbers from your texting app

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You will need to talk to mods

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Did you port?

Also which app are you using for messages?

Need Help? Let's chat.