cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not my Usage

KLK2A1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated with the base $10 plan 4 days ago. I changed the phone number to one more convenient to remember the next day.

Thus far, I have made ZERO outgoing calls. I have sent ZERO text messages. I have answered ZERO incoming calls. I have NOT checked voicemail.

Today My Usage shows 11 outgoing calls ranging between 3 and 14 seconds, accounting for 3 minutes of the alloted 50. And 8 outgoing text messages counting toward my 50.

Not at all impressed so far. Any insights, please?

25 REPLIES 25

ckaufman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

How do I change the voicemail access number?

Somewhere down in your dialer should be some settings to do so. There's a code to "dial" that you can set it too. See how you make out with the settings and I'll try to find that code in a while.

Don't forget the 1 in front.

Edit: In your dialer as though you're dialing a call type: *61*15875884002*30#

This sets the no answer option to that number and to ring for the maximum 30 seconds before forwarding.

Then look at your overview count. Then call your cell number from another phone or have someone call you and let it go to voicemail and they can leave something brief if they like. Then not long afterwards look at your overview count again and see if it went up by 1.

Okay, thanks for your help. Before I try that I'll just wait to hear back from the Mod about what actions to take.

What was the final result of this?

KLK2A1

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

Somewhere down in your dialer should be some settings to do so. There's a code to "dial" that you can set it too. See how you make out with the settings and I'll try to find that code in a while.

This sets the no answer option to that number and to ring for the maximum 30 seconds before forwarding.

Then look at your overview count. Then call your cell number from another phone or have someone call you and let it go to voicemail and they can leave something brief if they like. Then not long afterwards look at your overview count again and see if it went up by 1.

Okay, thanks for your help. Before I try that I'll just wait to hear back from the Mod about what actions to take.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLK2A1 wrote:

KLK2A1

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Your area code is known to be in SK?

Are you in SK?

Did you port a number or pick a new one?

If you dial your voicemail access number (4001) from another phone what do you get?

That's all the activity from renewal day?

I'm in Edmonton. I picked a new number. I don't have another phone right now to access voicemail. That's all the activity from initial activation.

If you're in AB then why do you appear to be using an SK voicemail #?

You're asking me?

Yup 🙂 Is the area code of your number a known AB area code or is it a new area code or is it from SK? Is your profile address from AB or SK?

My number's area code is 587. A known Alberta area code. My profile is all Alberta. As mentioned my post above, both a family member and friend - here in Edmonton, on Public Mobile plans - have the same Saskatchewan voicemail number listed in THEIR call logs.

Sorry I missed that factoid.

I tried the number too and indeed it gets to some kind of voicemail system.

While you do have Canada-wide calling...I wonder if changing the voicemail access number to 587-588-4002 would not cost you minutes out of the 50 minutes. Mine doesn't.

Edit: I'm in BC and the VAN goes to the my same area code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

If you dial your voicemail access number (4001) from another phone what do you get?

I'm in Edmonton. I picked a new number. I don't have another phone right now to access voicemail. That's all the activity from initial activation.

You're asking me?

Yup 🙂 Is the area code of your number a known AB area code or is it a new area code or is it from SK? Is your profile address from AB or SK?

My number's area code is 587. A known Alberta area code. My profile is all Alberta. As mentioned my post above, both a family member and friend - here in Edmonton, on Public Mobile plans - have the same Saskatchewan voicemail number listed in THEIR call logs.

Sorry I missed that factoid.

I tried the number too and indeed it gets to some kind of voicemail system.

While you do have Canada-wide calling...I wonder if changing the voicemail access number to 587-588-4002 would not cost you minutes out of the 50 minutes. Mine doesn't.

Edit: I'm in BC and the VAN goes to the my same area code.

KLK2A1

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

You're asking me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

You're asking me?

KLK2A1

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

You're asking me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLK2A1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

KLK2A1

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLK2A1

Are you in SK?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KLK2A1 weird then.  You may want to take the advice of the @CS_Agent above and send them a private message (using the link they posted) to investigate.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

KLK2A1

This is the entire history. I've made one call. 8:01 min.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.42.56 PM.jpegScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.43.41 PM.jpegScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.10.07 PM.jpeg

srlawren

@MoreYummy wrote:

So if call sent to Voicemail, it will use the plan minutes?

@MoreYummy no.  see my reply above--if that were the case, @KLK2A1 would have at least 12 mins deducted in addition to his 9 min legit phone call, plus whatever is on subsequent page(s) of usage

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

So if call sent to Voicemail, it will use the plan minutes?

srlawren

@KLK2A1 those calls to 4001 you're seeing are your spam calls being forwarded to your voicemail box and do not count against your usage.  Your 8:07 legit call would have used 9:00 as they are billed by the minute.  You must have overlooked a 4:00 call somewhere.  If all those forwards to your voicemail box were indeed deducting mins, they would have used at least 12 mins from what we can see on that page.  Do you maybe have a legit 3:xx call on the next page?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello @KLK2A1

Thank you for reaching out to us. For all assistance, can you please send us a private message at https://bit.ly/2CDoc2k and we shall be glad to assist. 

Thank you! 

KLK2A1

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.10.07 PM.jpeg

Okay, I've had a few more days of observations and consultations regarding my new $10/mon. account.

I can see that whenever I restart my iphone, or connect it to itunes, that an outgoing verification text (474663) is sent and that it counts against my text usage. I can live with that and will minimize the restarting and syncing.

But, what I'm having trouble with is this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.10.07 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.10.43 PM 2.jpg

I've only had this new number for a week. I have only made one legitimate outgoing call which lasted 8:07. I'm getting spam calls multiple times a day by some fraudster CVB Collections number in Ontario. And every time they call and hang up, it prompts an outgoing call to that voicemail number in Sakatchewan, which though seconds per call, has thus far has added up to 5 minutes of usage as shown above. 

I checked with a family member and a friend, both with Public Mobile, but on unlimited talk and text plans. That same voicemail number in Saskatchewan(306-580-4001) appears multiple times in their usage logs as an outgoing call.

At this rate, without using my phone at all, my plan's allotted minutes will be exhausted in a couple of weeks simply by it responding to spam calls.

This has to stop.

srlawren

@KLK2A1 wrote:

The outgoing calls were all to 306-580-4001.

@KLK2A1 as noted, these are calls to your voicemail box. 

If someone tried to call you and either (1) you were unable to answer it, or (2) chose not to answer it, or (3) your phone didn't have enough reception to receive the call and never even rang, the call is forwarded to your voicemail box, and you will see this entry in your usage history.  However, despite showing in your usage history, this type of call does not deduct from your available 50 minutes.  The same is true if you dial your own phone number from another phone (home phone, work phone, friend's phone, pay phone, etc) to check your messages--you will see the call going to your voicemail box in history, but it does not deduct from your minutes.

On the other hand, if you use your cell phone to call into your voicemail box (to set it up, to check for messages, or just randomly), those calls do count against your 50 minute bucket.  

Hopefully that helps clear it up.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Hello @KLK2A1

I had 30 texts to the 474663 number in the beginning and when I had to change my phone and same thing with the voicemail...I tried to stop imessage and closed Icloud...nothing have stopped them...But you can write a message to the moderator...here..

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

and explain your problem they will help you as they helped me with those unwanted texts and calls...Smiley Frustrated

@KLK2A1 wrote:

Okay. I'll figure this out and post an update when solved.

Thank you again!

@KLK2A1Here we go!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/paying_for_your-s...

KLK2A1

Okay. I'll figure this out and post an update when solved.

Thank you again!

@KLK2A1 wrote:

Thank you for the quick response, RobertQc.

Yes, the text were all to 474663. I will disable iMessage.

@KLK2A1That is an old voicemail number for telus in saskatechwan (and public mobile) im not sure whats going on, but maybe your phone has configured itself wrong, go into your dialer app and see if you can manually configure the voiemail number to one thats working, maybe because the number is no longer in service it keeps reattempting to call (this is my guess)

Edit- I would post my list of voicemail numbers but as EDIT AGAIN, REMOVING YOUR TAG I FOUDN IT srlawren has suggested linking the moderator post that displayed these voicemail numbers instead of just posting them is better in case of future edits, I can't seem to find that mod post. Any help here? I will keep this link if you can provide it again, thanks

KLK2A1

Thank you for the quick response, RobertQc.

Yes, the text were all to 474663. I will disable iMessage.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@KLK2A1 wrote:

I activated with the base $10 plan 4 days ago. I changed the phone number to one more convenient to remember the next day.

Thus far, I have made ZERO outgoing calls. I have sent ZERO text messages. I have answered ZERO incoming calls. I have NOT checked voicemail.

Today My Usage shows 11 outgoing calls ranging between 3 and 14 seconds, accounting for 3 minutes of the alloted 50. And 8 outgoing text messages counting toward my 50.

Not at all impressed so far. Any insights, please?

@KLK2A1Can you please provide the outgoing numbers?

For SMS the most common issue is both iPhones usually 474663 (iMessage/FaceTime) and usually 7723 Google (android) phones use SMS to set up things when you first sign up a new number / phone / provider / restart phone.

On Android remove “SMS” permissions from the dialer app which should be labelled as “Phone” in settings under app info or app permissions.

On iPhone you want to disable iMessage and FaceTime (before you insert the sim card or you may still be some sent) if you want to use iMessage and FaceTime there is no way around these messages being sent. It's not public mobile its Apple, complain to them if you want.

Settings -> Messages -> iMessage (Slide to the left so slider background is white)
Settings -> Messages > FaceTime (Slide to the left so slider background is white)

There is also a chance if someone sent you a message (even if you didn’t respond) your phone will send a “delivery confirmation” back without your knowledge that will count as 1 of your outgoing text. That should be disabled as well.

As for calling, I am not sure. Just the SMS part, but let us know the number and we can find out.

Need Help? Let's chat.